StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie needs to know-what "must have" farkles 4 Wee/DL650?

as a newbie, i have yet to start a thread.

until now...

i am looking for an affordable used Wee/DL650 in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region.

i am a slab guy.

i am simply trying to go from point a to point b and have as much fun doing it as possible!

no in-the-woods, no fire roads. (though that does sound like fun)

local commuting.

local state roads.

interstate hiways when necessary.

hoping to expand to multi-state (200-400 miles) rides.

so now that i've shared some of my needs, here is the question:

what would be the "must-have" farkles for a guy like me?

i'm 6'1"/185lbs/60 yrs old in july.

i'll start the list from what i've gathered reading this wonderful forum:

center stand
hand guards
engine guards
fork brace
mirror extenders
eastern beaver or blue seas fuse box
heated grips

i look forward to any additional ideas from those in the know.

:thumbup:

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
Registered
817 Posts
since you're going a lot of slab, i'd add the madstad windshield bracket. test out the shield you've got and see how it works for you with the bracket.

also, a fender extender. oil filter cover, unless you go with a bash plate instead. you know you're gonna hit some gravel eventually. :thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me I would include:
- New seat or seat pad
- Some kind of luggage
- LED lights front and back (like Skene or Hyperlights)
- Throttle lock/crampbuster
- Reflective tape

·
Registered
689 Posts
My suggestion is ride the bike a bit before deciding on the farkles. For example I am not a fan of heated grips. My revit bastion gloves are fine down to 40 degrees F with hand guards for long rides and down to low 30's on shorter rides. Centerstand, forkbrace, engine guards and a 12v outlet are musts for me. 6 ft, 180 pounds, 62 years old in rather good health, the stock seat on the 2012 is fine for me on a 600 mile day, maybe I just have a hard butt :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
All of them. Just admit it now that you will want them all because it is going to happen anyway so why waste time kidding yourself? :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
1. Fork brace - Better stability in crosswinds and corners
2. Top box - Oh, wait, you can't lane split there so saddlebags or hard luggage would work as well - something to carry lunch and such.
3. Half-cover for the bike if parked outside - keep the sun off your seat and reduce weathering on plastics and paint
4. Throttle lock - to give your right hand a break. I like the Go Cruise one, Go Cruise Throttle Control - webBikeWorld

Only riding for a while will tell you if you want other farkles like windscreen adaptors and such

·
Registered
99 Posts
While I have never had to use them and don't yet have them on my Wee, frame sliders (or crash bars) are important in my opinion. They just aren't that cool the spend the money on :/

I'm very happy with Aprilia Tuono mirrors, smaller and less wide angle than stock, but they extend out more, buffet less, and look better. Some prefer stock mirrors, though.

Windshield: I went for a lower and smaller windshield, some prefer higher and bigger. All I know is, stock never worked for me or my dad(he owned the bike before I bought it from him).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would add a headlight relay and some saddlebags to the list and Bob's your uncle.
now remember i'm new at this:

why a headlight relay?

i thought those electrical add-ons would be supplemented by the upgraded fuse box.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
My suggestion is ride the bike a bit before deciding on the farkles. For example I am not a fan of heated grips. My revit bastion gloves are fine down to 40 degrees F with hand guards for long rides and down to low 30's on shorter rides. Centerstand, forkbrace, engine guards and a 12v outlet are musts for me. 6 ft, 180 pounds, 62 years old in rather good health, the stock seat on the 2012 is fine for me on a 600 mile day, maybe I just have a hard butt :)
I'm with Nuke, ride it and you'll know what you need and what to add first. Though in the end you may end up adding everything. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts

why a headlight relay?

i thought those electrical add-ons would be supplemented by the upgraded fuse box.

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
The PC-8 (and I assume the blue sea) fuse block includes a relay that is typically triggered from your brake light wire, so you're good for any electrical stuff you add.

The headlight relay protects the stock wiring leading to your headlight, and helps to keep your headlights from dimming when voltage drops occur (heated grips or clothing, etc). Another option is to install HID headlights.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
The headlight relay provides a circuit that carries the high current that the headlights demand and relieves the stock wiring of that duty. The stock wiring including the switches/connectors has been known to do a less than outstanding job with failures being reported. At night this can effectively stop you in your tracks.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/information-vault/71046-headlight-problems-not.html

·
Registered
359 Posts
newbie needs to know-what "must have" farkles 4 Wee/DL650?

as a newbie, i have yet to start a thread.

until now...

i am looking for an affordable used Wee/DL650 in the NE/Mid-Atlantic region.

i am a slab guy.

i am simply trying to go from point a to point b and have as much fun doing it as possible!

no in-the-woods, no fire roads. (though that does sound like fun)

local commuting.

local state roads.

interstate hiways when necessary.

hoping to expand to multi-state (200-400 miles) rides.

so now that i've shared some of my needs, here is the question:

what would be the "must-have" farkles for a guy like me?
center stand - Not a must have. I think spools and a paddock stand are just as useful for what you're doing, and don't add the extra weight.

hand guards - Yes.

engine guards - Another no for street riding.

fork brace - I suppose.

mirror extenders - Don't need. I'm a big broad guy and see fine without them.

eastern beaver or blue seas fuse box - Maybe.

heated grips - Yes

A lot of the stuff on your list is in no way needed for street riding. Unless you're riding multiple day trips of a thousand mles or more, a center stand is not needed in any way. Keep the weight and bulk off the bike and skip it. Unless you're riding dirt, mud and gravel roads, where there is legitimate reason to expect a drop, crash guards are a waste. Same with bash plates. A fuse block is really only needed if you're going to have more than three accessory circuits. Mirror extenders seem like something guys do when they have nothing else to farkle.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Rob, most important is to make the bike fit YOU. Comfy seat. Seating position up or down or front or back an inch for you. Windscreen that works for you. Lower the bike if needed. Bring the bars up or back if needed. Lower pegs if needed. Grip puppies if you'd like.

After all that, I'd check the tires and valve stems, renew all fluids, install a fork brace. Ride. Have fun.

·
Registered
132 Posts

why a headlight relay?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Another reason for the Headlight relay: The full power of the headlight is passing through the contacts in the start button. Bit of a weak link there, and when it fails, you have to replace the entire assembly, not just the start switch.

+1 on more lighting, front and rear, you want to be seen.
+1 on fork brace
+1 crash bars
+1 seat or seat mod
+1 madstad bracket.

I also agree with the person who said to ride it for a while first, so that you can see what your own needs are. Welcome and enjoy your new Strom!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I also agree that you should just ride the bike first, then YOU will know what YOU need. Some people hate the seat, some love it, some people have solutions to the buffeting problem, some say there is no buffeting problem. Everyone is different, and these are only opinions, best to get your own. If you find something you don't like about the bike, this forum is a great place to research how to remedy it. Alter the bike to fit YOUR ride, not someone else's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts