StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to Suzuki except for a TM I owned in the 70's. I've been riding since I was 7 years old raced dirt bikes as a kid and owned bikes until my late 20's, then had kids and fell out of riding. Got back in in my mid 30's and have been riding ever since. Mostly Harley touring bikes, old BMW air heads and k75's and dirt bikes for the track and woods. I now own a Harley roadglide and a BMW r1100rt. I've gotten bored of the big Harley and still like my BMW but want to go off road and don't trust buying a BMW GS because of reliability. I just want to ride. The vstrom caught my eye with its V twin, light weight and something that can go long distance without worries of breaking down 2000 miles from home and gets good gas mileage, sounds to good to be true. That's my first question, is it to good to be true? What year is the best? I would like to buy an older one, a cheap one to start out to test the waters. I found an 05 with 40,000 miles for $2500 with bags engine guards, skid plate, brush guards and Sargent seat. It has some scratches and you can tell it's been off road. Is that a good price for a 40,000 mile bike. Or should I move up in years and price. Is there a classified on this sight to buy seems like people here would take care of there bikes better than trade in's at bike shops. Sorry for long post but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Price not horrible, could be better by a few hundred maybe BUT if it's never been abused and fully maintained, has OK rubber etc and needs nothing + has many add ons (you can add up cost of add ons or "farkles") maybe not so bad. My thoroughly farkled adult ridden mint 09 non abs 650 was 3K with 30K on clock. For pricing comparison, check cycle trader for dl650. As far as best year, 07 and forward had dual plugs in each cylinder and slightly longer wheelbase by like 3/4", 08 and newer had 400 watt alternator (vs 350 watt). 05 should be perfectly serviceable though. If this is your price range, 1st gen only but newer models (2nd 3rd gen) offer some improvements and more $ = better bike all things remaining equal-site search will show details. I'd say try out a cheaper model and if you like it, get newer one-you can usually flip a low cost Vstrom for what you paid. I may upgrade to newer down the road, but for now, I'm just going to run this one for a while and maybe much longer. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, $3000 for an 09 with add on's is a great deal. Maybe I'll look a little longer. The one I was looking at you could tell,had been down more than once. Engine guard paint rubbed off, brush guards scratched. Main thing that drew me to it was all the extras. It had to have $2000 of extra's. Is 40,000 miles considered high miles on these bikes? At what mileage do things start to need repairs/replacement? Would you take a 40,000 mile used bike cross country?

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I've got an 04 that I paid $2500 when I got it. Had 23000 miles on it and now it's at 100300 and I've only had the valves checked once and only repairs have been fork seals and a rear shock. No engine or electrical work. It did have crash damage that the other guys Ins paid for. I run Shinko 705 tires mostly and with my talent I still fall over in the dirt.
A lot of the farkles I got from the for sale section of this forum, good source!
You ask would you take a 40K mile bike across country? Heck yeah. Mine is ready to go with new tires. I just need the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, I'm new to Suzuki except for a TM I owned in the 70's. I've been riding since I was 7 years old raced dirt bikes as a kid and owned bikes until my late 20's, then had kids and fell out of riding. Got back in in my mid 30's and have been riding ever since. Mostly Harley touring bikes, old BMW air heads and k75's and dirt bikes for the track and woods. I now own a Harley roadglide and a BMW r1100rt. I've gotten bored of the big Harley and still like my BMW but want to go off road and don't trust buying a BMW GS because of reliability. I just want to ride. The vstrom caught my eye with its V twin, light weight and something that can go long distance without worries of breaking down 2000 miles from home and gets good gas mileage, sounds to good to be true. That's my first question, is it to good to be true? What year is the best? I would like to buy an older one, a cheap one to start out to test the waters. I found an 05 with 40,000 miles for $2500 with bags engine guards, skid plate, brush guards and Sargent seat. It has some scratches and you can tell it's been off road. Is that a good price for a 40,000 mile bike. Or should I move up in years and price. Is there a classified on this sight to buy seems like people here would take care of there bikes better than trade in's at bike shops. Sorry for long post but any help would be appreciated.
Go look at it and take a test ride. 2008 replaced my 1999R1100RT when a suicidal big dog stopped in front of the RT.
Lighter than the RT and reliable. The wind protection is nothing like the RT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr10, it's nice to see someone switched from a r1100, do you prefer your v strom vs the RT? Did you trust your RT for long rides? The RT is great with wind protection. Do you find the vstrom tiring on long rides or beat hard by the wind and not able to put long hours on the bike, the reliability factor on vstrom is a big deal to me, thanks for all the advise from everyone this really helps. I looked for a classified section on this forum but can't find one am I missing something here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr10, I just noticed you have a BMW gs, listed on your post I've got to ask which do you prefer vstrom or gs and which one do you trust for long rides from home, thanks

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
I've had several BMW's 650's, 750. 800's, 1000 GS and a 1100RT, I think my Wee is just as good, equal to or better than all of them. A lot less maintenance, for sure.
It was just as easy to run the bike up to 100K miles as it was for the beemers that I had.

·
Registered
93 Posts
2008 is best year since that is what I have. Honestly it would be a good year and without ABS, don't have to worry about how to turn it off and on. It's done everything I have asked of it; Love it!

·
Vendor
4,742 Posts
40,000 miles is NOT high mileage for a DL650. These engines can easily go a couple of hundred thousand miles. There is not a DL650 year/model I would not own. They are simply great bikes, perfectly suited to their mission and have been well sorted out from the beginning. They are also extremely well understood. What things might happen have already happened to someone and the fix is known here and someone will walk yo through it. If Suzuki had not come out with an all new DL1000 in 2014 I would probably still have and be loving my red 2005 DL650.

But the 2017+ models look pretty dang good IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
I've had three 2010s and all were flawless, all with ABS....the only gotcha is the stator ..if it has been changed you are gold.
I bought one on the 2010s for $2400 with decent farkles with 96,000 km on it and sold it for the same price 18 months later with 118,000 km on it. Was very well maintained which is the key.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If you are wanting to use the WEE for long distance touring it will not be the same as your RT. It's not meant to be. That said I did several +7k trips on it and I had no big complaints. Key is to sort out the seat (likely an issue on almost any bike) and the wind protection. First Gen 650 (2004 - 2011) were known to have buffeting. But there are solutions for that. Eventually I had mine sorted very well. Yes it will cruise at 75 all day but that is really not much fun and I am sure you will be more comfortable on your RT. BUT you can turn on that intriguing broken up blacktop road that ends up in a dirt road any time with the WEE, not with the RT. Question is what you want from your bike.

The stroms are very reliable but they have a few issues as well. However if you can wrench some yourself most items are a relatively easy and cheap fix. Plus there are many posts here that deal with these few items and many experienced members just waiting to help. That is a big reason form many to stick with these bikes and this forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts