StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to put a cigarette lighter or what ever on my wee to charge my phone or power my future heated liner. i have little experience with motos. Could anyone help me or lead me in the right direction? thanks so much. brad:headbang:

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i would like to put a cigarette lighter or what ever on my wee to charge my phone or power my future heated liner. i have little experience with motos. Could anyone help me or lead me in the right direction? thanks so much. brad:headbang:
I went through a similar route for powering a GPS.
You need to be more specific. Powering a mobile phone requires 5V and low current (2A fuse will be enough). It can also be located under the seat or on the handle bar.
With heating I have no experience but it would take more amps and location is different.

Maybe my thread could help you:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/62192-advice-needed-gps-wiring.html

You don't need a fuse box to do this (I don't), an inline fuse is just as good.
A fuse box is good for:
1. Having more than 3 accessories, because there is a physical limit (screw height) to how many terminals can be hooked up to the battery
2. Making it nice and tidy to maintain

I currently have installed:
1. The stebel horn
2. GPS Charger (12V->5v), SAE connector to 12V Cigar socket to Garmin OEM charger. Works super great, a very versatile/modular and cheap solution.
3. Battery Tender Charger (external battery charger), SAE connector

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There are cigarette lighter sockets with weatherproof covers from Casco (Wal*Mart), boating supply stores have Marinco and West Marine has their own, and Powerlet brand standard cigarette lighter sockets.

One place to mount it is in the wire loop on the right side of the bars that the throttle cables run through...move them to the outside of the wire & strap them down. Another place is to drill a hole in the textured plastic part on the side of the cowling.

Run both wires to the battery. Put a fuse in the positive wire. Figure 15 amp capacity in case you want to power an air compressor, etc. This would take #16 wire. Do not bond the negative to the chassis...very poor practice with our combination steel & aluminum frames.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I second the powerlet suggestion. Cigarette lighter sockets don't belong on a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I second the powerlet suggestion. Cigarette lighter sockets don't belong on a bike.
If you mean the Powerlet-style connectors (Powerlet does manufacture some cigarette-style connectors as well) then I disagree. I have never even seen anything sold with a Powerlet-style plug on it. Everything in this country comes with a cigarette lighter-style connector because that's what is in cars and trucks. If you get that Powerlet-style connector then you are going to have to use an adapter for it to fit anything. Sure, the Powerlet-style connectors carry more current and they are less prone to vibration problems, but if you have to use an adapter to go to the type of connection that is on the device you want to use then you have accomplished nothing because you are still using a cigarette lighter connection on the device.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
You could always try Eastern Beaver. Jim has a several options for power and good electrical wiring info. Great place to order from.

Suzuki VStrom Electrics

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
All the cigarette lighter charger connectors that have voltage reduction built into them (all USB types plus others???) must plug into a cigarette lighter socket. I see no point in using the Powerlet BMW-type special socket then an adapter to the cigarette lighter socket. I'd rather use a high quality Powerlet brand or Marinco brand weatherproof cigarette lighter socket in these cases.

Brad, I forgot to mention that there are also mounts that bolt to the handlebars to hold a socket.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
There are cigarette lighter sockets with weatherproof covers from Casco (Wal*Mart), boating supply stores have Marinco and West Marine has their own, and Powerlet brand standard cigarette lighter sockets.

One place to mount it is in the wire loop on the right side of the bars that the throttle cables run through...move them to the outside of the wire & strap them down. Another place is to drill a hole in the textured plastic part on the side of the cowling.

Run both wires to the battery. Put a fuse in the positive wire. Figure 15 amp capacity in case you want to power an air compressor, etc. This would take #16 wire. Do not bond the negative to the chassis...very poor practice with our combination steel & aluminum frames.

+1. This is exactly how I did my power connection, and it's worked great. I also like it because:
-it doesn't require drilling the bike
-I can remove the socket when I don't need it (I use it for road trips only; a few times a year)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I found a water-resistant USB charger socket at my local Canadian Tire store.
It came pre-wired, much like the cigarette lighter sockets do.
It's perfect for charging an iPod or BlackBerry while on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts