StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, another question about windshields, but I'm new and wondering if I should just buy a Givi for my DL1000 or a Madstad and keep the stock. I can't afford both right now ( I got to prioritize my farkles). The Madstad looks and sounds great, but it also looks like the Givi would solve the buffeting problem for me. I'm 6'0 with a 32 inch inseam and think the Givi would do it, but if I can solve it with buying the madstad and keeping the stock, I would like to go that route.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Scott:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Windshield Height

I am the same dimensions as you. I moved my stock wind screen to the highest setting and found it to be very acceptable. The more wind screen you add, the more the wind is going to push you around.

GM Shooter

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
My two cents-

My opinion would be to go Madstad first. I am also 6'0", 32" inseam and did it the other way around. I got the Givi shield first because it was a good deal from another stromtrooper. It's good at keeping more wind off of you, but not necessarily a great improvement in regards to the quality of air that hits you. This summer, i cut down my stock screen so I could get some clean air on my chest on hot days, then soon after purchased the Madstad. I have better air control with my cut down stock shield and the Madstad than I did with just the Givi alone.

I see it this way-- With a Givi, you have 3 setting options. They are better options than the stock setup, but still limited. With a Madstad, you have nearly infinite adjustability for various riding conditions and moods. If you know you're going to get both eventually, the Madstad will get you more improvement faster, even if not perfection.

If I HAD to go with just a new screen, I would probably be more inclined to look into the CalSci windshields. I love the concept of the vent to help eliminate the vacuum behind the shield. On the other hand, they probably cost almost as much as the Givi and Madstad combination. Just something to think about.

This winter, I really look forward to having the Givi/Madstad combo at my disposal. Like you, I've had to prioritize my accessories... these two have been a year in the works.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I will go with the Madstad first then the Givi. That was a big help.

S.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
My Johnny-come-lately response

I went round and round on the issue of windscreens for a year with my Vee, reading everything I could here and elsewhere, and finally settled on two realities: 1, my full face modular helmet is much louder in the same wind stream (strom?) as my open face helmet and, 2, my new Givi 260ST screen is a beautiful thing compared to stock (I have it mounted in its lowest position right now, no Madstad). I added the Pat Walsh dash for some "lens effect" protection.

I'm 5-10, 215, with a 30 inch inseam (which necessitates the use of a 650 seat...).

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I finally took my Givi screen off and replaced it with a MP Cycle Designs Sport Screen. I ride much more comfortably in the "clean" air. I've recently added a Laminar lip to the top of the screen and it helps even more. I am very disappointed in the Givi screen and would not recommend it.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
No one item can work for everyone... I run the Givi in the middle, stock bracket. I would recomend it. I can ride without earplugs and hear my IPod.... My 2c

·
Registered
140 Posts
Windscreen trials

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Bought a Givi windshield...didn't work for me and looking at the edge spoiled the view. Added the MadStad back with stock windshield and works fine. New Givi in basement.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Madstad first, Givi + Pat Walsh shelf later
Same here, and I'm 6'5", so it has to work for less stork like people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts