StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZG Screen

I like the look and tried to buy one from pipecity (a ZG dist.) and they said they were not available. Hmmmmm

BTW two bros pipes at pipecity are $ 485 !! no shipping costs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has anybody bought one of the Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreens? If so, what's the verdict...good or bad?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't see any dimensions on the ZG site. Any idea how much taller the sport touring shield is compared to stock?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be interested to find out if the taller touring windshield works well for us 6-footers. That's one damn fine looking screen!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZG Touring screen

I have had the zg touring screen installed since December. I feel it is an improvement over stock, especially above 70 mph or so; it gets the wind off of your chest and at that speed to the top of your helmet - I am 6'1" and sitting on a sheepskin/foam pad so a little above stock seat height. However it is not perfect as the wind still hits the sides of your helmet.

The screen is about 3 to 3 1/2 inches taller than stock - looked taller than that in the pictures - nicely made, installs easy and improves the look of the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had one, but hated it. I sent it back and ZG said there would be no restocking fee, as they had quite a few returned due to noise/buffeting. I got the ZG double bubble instead and I like this one, not perfect but a little better, but looks wonderful.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from a 100 mile ride with the double bubble on my 03 DL1000. All in all I was happy with it. It feels more like the wind you get on a sport bike. Only rare buffeting. Otherwise a fairly steady uniform wind stream. So for me who is 6'2'' 180 with 35 inch inseam:
1.OEM not very good. tried it once
2.OEM tall. Better but still a lot of buffeting
3. Cee Bailey tall. Got it very tall. By far the best wind protection. Very quiet. Looking through the screen. Good optics but got in some fog and condensate built up in line of sight. Huge downside as my vision through the screen was horrible. If I was doing a cross country ride this screen would be my choice but I would have to treat it with something to avoid the condensation problem.
4. Double bubble. By far the prettiest screen. Normal airflow past helmet without the buffeting. The one I will use most of the time. Still noisy so earplugs are a must.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Velo
thanks for a thorough post.
Just for the record, what "tall" [how many inches] is your CB, and do you ride it on the lowest Yoke position? [or is that a fixed on your 1K bike?]

still searching for options

zapp

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WINDSHIELD CLEAR 12 1/4" TALLER (28 1/4" TALL)
Really tall! And my 03 has a fixed mounting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
rainx should fix the fogging

hey, on the fixed/set/rigid mount, does it pull the screen flush with the fairing or what? is there a vent? I have never seen an 02/03 up close and personal so i'm ignorant

z

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.reverendbiker.com/vstrom/vstromceebailey.htm

This recently posted by reverendbiker in another thread shows the tall windscreen and how it mounts. Only two screws hold the screen on so its quick to change out. I did another ride with the Cee Bailey's tall today and its not my favorite. Its a personal preference. I put the Zero Gravity back on. Another thing I noticed is that the tall screen really has a lot more wind resistance. Even the DL-1000 works harder at highway speeds to push it through the air.

·
Registered
312 Posts
hmm I wonder if the older models actually have an advantage because it appears from that reverend page that the shield on your bikes is flush to the rest of the fairing: no gaps. you would think this would cause that popping/flopping percussive effect to be worse. I guess I'll never know for sure til i try every blooming shield out there.

Question, Veloci, does the Double Bubble come up to where you look over it or through it? and, do you ride in a lean-forward position or up? we're same height....

did a 100 miles or so yesterday with the Givi in the only position that works for me, and its tolerable, but I look through it most of the time. i have it in the unofficial highest possible position, spaced 1/2" at top to sit more straight up. it ain't for everybody, and it ain't optimal for sure.

I wonder If i could just get the Double Bubble for older bike and knock a few holes in it to fit the slide on the newer?

z

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wish they made these for the 650. I had one on my CBR and loved it.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The double bubble is about the same height as the stock screen on the 02 and 03 DL-1000s so you are looking over it. The difference is that it "bubbles" out more so you get the wind but not much buffeting. I sit straight but slumped. Or sitting straight with bad posture....My bike has lower bars that the previous owner installed. Also I am running the stock mirrors and handguards. Shoei RF1000 helmet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cb tall then

i think alot wider and the stock height may be the thing. i cant in no way have one im looking through. well maybe a little bit on the sides or so might be ok but not in the center. i saw a bike picture the other day,i forget what bike it was,i wish i remembered,it would make this much easier to explain.

it looked as if it had a very wide screen mounted on top of the slots,like where the stock vstrom screen mounts. and it had the holes just spaced out near the edges. it would be as if i took a screen about 8" wider,and just centered it,and drilled new holes and screwed it in. in other words it didnt have a slot,or a particular "spot" to mount,it was just on top of the fiberglass/bottom part of the mini fairing. is this making any sense?

well anyways,it was a name brand bike and the screen was stock. it looked ok i guess,it didnt stick out and look ugly,in fact i didnt notice it at first,i was looking at the pics and reading the review. i just happened to notice the way it was mounted and thought,i have room on both sides of my stock screen to get one and try it out.

i was thinking of one of the smallish ones that mount on steel rods for cruisers. they are cheapish. well,does this make sense to any of you folks? i dont have the most expierence on bikes.but if i dont get rid of this wind problem,im getting rid of this bike. i just cant stand it. the noise/buffeting. its not fun anymore. well,its fun as heck as long as i dont want to relax,if im riding it hard/fun,if im "on the pipe" like a two stroke, i love it. but when im putting say a few miles on it,or just want to relax,i hate it.even with foam ear plugs,its way to loud.

roy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts