StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how many troopers in the Asheville, Hendersonville area are interested in a New Years Day ride. U know ride on Jan 1st to keep all the gremlins away kinda thing. Route is up in the air. Looks like perfect weather for riding right now. Sunny and 44. I think as long as we stay low we should be alright for everyone to ride. So post up and we will find a centerlized meeting spot for everyone that wants to ride.

RR

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
If there's any way I'm sober enough, I'd like to.

But this is way too far out for me to plan at this point.

Happy Christmas.

Norm

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weather still looks good. 43 Mostly Sunny 10% chance of rain. Who's in. If noone responds guess I will be riding with the KLR world crew.

RR

·
Registered
11 Posts
New Years day ride

A buddy of mine and I are getting a group together. I've posted on ADV rider and thumpertalk. We are meeting at North Mills River campground at 12:00. Will be doing Yellow Gap, 475B, 475A and.....who knows where from there. Right now looks like there will be DRZ400s, motards, Wees, transalps and possibly other bikes. All hard packed gravel. Send me a message if you're interested or need further info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
RR ,

Sorry Bro , I already comitted . I was just about to post about the other ride when I saw this . I told Ridir Frith I'd cross post .

PO

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aint nothing but a thing PO there is enough riders in the area to go around. The ride that is meeting at Mills River is more to my liking I think I will go there.

RR

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aint nothing but a thing PO there is enough riders in the area to go around. The ride that is meeting at Mills River is more to my liking I think I will go there.

RR

Cool beans Bro . This group will be on the non-stop hunt for a picnic basket I am sure . But I'm up for it . Gotta keep that girlish figure in plain sight you know . You guys ride hard and be safe . See ya on the next one .

PO

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get your motor runnin' heading down the hi...fire road. Fire em up. Headed out the door now. See yall in a couple of hours.

RR

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Hey Dudes<

I just woke up, any rides happening?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got in about 200 miles today and over half of that was dirt. Only went down once:bom_shout::bom_shout:. Went in a bit hot and got in the marbles on the side of the road and down she went. Givis did thier job only got minimial scrathes on the fairing. No broken bits either. Anyway we ended up over in Jackson county somewhere and back to Mills River campground. Will post pics when I get a chance. There was about 15 of us to start and then it ended up with ten by the time it was done. Mac Pappy can fill us in where all we went. Let me tell U one thing dont go with these guys unless U got TKCs on your bike. The next time I do I will.

RR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great ride huh?

Was that fun or what? Dude, you ride that thing hard! Wolf Mountain rd I know was tough...that rd was not on the original plan but we had such a great group that was willing to go anywhere we just had to do it.
Here's what we did, I think, my head is still spinning this morning from that ride. Left Mills River campground and went out Yellow Gar rd to 276. Turned left and went about 1/2 mile to Avery Creek rd on the left. Don't remember the Forest Rd # but it's the one that goes by the stables and comes out on 276. that's where we turned right and went up 475A past the fish hatchery, all the way out till it forks. At that point we turned right onto Indian Creek rd (gravel also). That takes you out to 215. Turned left and went about 1 mile to Tannassee Gap rd on the right (paved). Stayed on that rd until we came to a stop sign (right at the bridge at Wolf Creek). Turned right onto Wolf Mountian rd (paved now, didn't used to be a year ago). However when you get to the forks you take a left and that's when it turns in to gravel...or dirt...or mud....a little more interesting...it's basically an old jeep rd. (Doable on a Vee if you don't push it hard. Better to have a skid plate too). That ends at Charleys Creek rd. take a right. go through a bunch of twisties and you come to a stop sign at 215. take a left and go back to Indian Creek rd, back onto 475A. Just before getting to the fish hatchery, 475B (on the left). This one comes back out onto 276. Take a left and go back up to Yellow Gap rd and back to Mills River.
Now...read back through that and imagine doing that at a blistering rate of speed and you'll see what you missed!!
Ridgerunner....you gotta admit....you had to have had a ton of fun.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Sorry I missed it. That is a familiar route to me and fun. Although, from Mills River up to the BRP via Bent Creek is my favorite stretch of dirt for a 'Strom in this area.

Dry, Wolf Mountain is tough, with the rain we've gotten it must've been borderline tedious. In fact, I just replaced my TKC80 with a half-worn Tourance and would have joined kerry for a mud nap.

I was in no condition to ride yesterday anyways, I had a New Year's Party to attend the night before and we did have fun.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was that fun or what? Dude, you ride that thing hard! Wolf Mountain rd I know was tough...that rd was not on the original plan but we had such a great group that was willing to go anywhere we just had to do it.
Ridgerunner....you gotta admit....you had to have had a ton of fun.
Most defineatly had fun, but just pushed a little hard and paid for it. Yea if I did not have a skid plate on there I would have been left at Wolf Mtn. I hit pretty hard there one time. Plus I guess I will be talking to NCRick for a suspension upgrade. I was planning on doing Thursday but we rode so hard with so few breaks that I did not get a chance.

Dry, Wolf Mountain is tough, with the rain we've gotten it must've been borderline tedious. In fact, I just replaced my TKC80 with a half-worn Tourance and would have joined kerry for a mud nap.
I made it down Wolf Mtn w/o incident, I went down on some hard pack that I just tried to push a little to hard for on that new Conti Trail Attack. This spring there will be a set of TKC on the lil monster and we will be ready for battle then. That and a lil mo pratice on the gray stuff. Still no plans for trying anything more than Wolf tho'. That was a bit much for me with all the ice and mud. My nerves were shot when I hit the tarmac.

RR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts