StromTrooper banner

New Year's Day ride - Triangle area

3K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  NCVSTROM 
#1 ·
I'd love to join RidgeRunner and the others in the mtns on New Year's Day, but my schedule won't allow it. Also being the first day of the year, all my unused brownie points from '08 will have evaporated and I'll be starting over from scratch! I can only get permission for a shorter ride, closer to home.

Anyone else interested in doing an afternoon loop from Cary down towards Lillington and Sanford and back up towards Pittsboro? I'd like to make a couple stops along the way to hunt for a few geocaches, if the group is agreeable. I'm flexible on everything - the time (thinking about meeting at 1-ish), the route, and the geocaches.

Don

#2 ·
Count me in....just give me the details of where to meet and when.

#4 ·
Hmmm.....I would say I could meet you in the new Super-Walmart parking lot on the 55 bypass or if you want to do smaller scale and perhaps some lunch, there is a Sonic on the old 55 which takes you directly in Town. The Sonic is basically behind my subdivision.

#6 ·
I will be up for this ride if I'm in town. Will there be plenty of twisties on the route??

#8 ·
If you are still planning this ride, I would like to commit to it.

Are you still planning on meeting in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Holly Springs at 1pm New Year's Day?

Also, is this Walmart located at 7016 Gb Alford Hwy, Holly Springs, NC 27540?

By the way, it looks like it will reach the low 40's, with sun and low (5-10mph) wind levels. I don't mind riding in these temps.

Thanks.

#11 ·
Ok, some details.

Let's meet at 1:30 pm, at the Sonic on business Hwy 55 at Cayman Ave:
700 Cayman Ave, Holly Springs, NC 27540

We can grab a bite if anyone wants, or just meet there and ride.

I've got a tentative 60-70 mile route laid out that should let us enjoy some back roads, including a couple of gravel sections. I'll PM the route details to anyone that's interested. The plan is very flexible, so we can cut it short, vary it, etc, as we see fit.

I still need to pick out a few geocache locations that I want to try and find. Will post those later today.

Don

#14 ·
1:30 @ Sonic.

#12 ·
New Year's Day Ride - Triangle Area

Don,
I can join you guys on this ride. Wanna meet in Cary at the shopping center at the corner of Old Apex and Cary Parkway? That's about a 30 minute ride to the Walmart in Holly Springs. Say around 12:30-12:45pm?

NCVSTROM are you gonna be able to join?

Fletch

#16 ·
Unless my count is off (and it may very well be) we've got a meeting of SEVEN stroms for this ride! Can't wait! Someone try and remember to bring a camera.

Everyone be safe tonight.

#18 ·
It was good to meet you all today! I think it was a pretty good ride considering none of us have ridden together before.

I also got to practice some dirt roads today. Although I have been riding for over 20 years, the only non-pavement riding I have done is with this bike, and it consists of about 2 miles total before today.

Adv-Family, thanks for organizing the ride and the route.

Keep in touch everyone, I'm always interested in riding with others.

#28 ·
New Years Day Ride - Triangle Area

Gentlemen,
It was definitely a pleasure meeting everyone yesterday! I was hoping that my bike wasn't too obnoxiously loud. After passing those two kids in that one town and they held their ears as I went by, I was having doubts.

We'll definitely have to grab some food next time. I was starving when I got home as well. Maybe grab some Guinness Beef Stew from Dugan's pub again down in Pinehurst. That stew rocked! The beer was mighty tasty too! :) Or take a Saturday during the Spring and blast down to the coast for some seafood. Have a great weekend, and stay in touch!

NCVSTROM and I were discussing maybe an overnight bike camping trip in the Spring on the parkway. I will bring this up again once it gets a little warmer if anyone is interested in going.

Fletch

#20 ·
had fun anyway....

Well I must of missed the V train by a few minutes. I took 42 all the way to lower river rd. and went about halfway up, then parked by a power line road.
it was about 3:10 when I turned onto lower river rd. I waited till 3:35 then
decided I was probably too late. Never seen any other bikes the whole way,
although I almost got creamed by 3 quadtards who ran a stop sign and pulled right out in front of me on the way back. no lights, no helmets no mirrors so they had no idea I was back there till I layed on the horn and just barely squeezed by. when I was suiting up to leave, one of the zippers broke on my chaps, so I made quick use of some zip ties. Then to top it all off, I had forgotten to buckle the chin strap on my helmet in my haste to leave. My sunglasses were fogged over, so when I pulled over on the side of the road,
I went to put my right foot down, but there wasn't any ground there.So me and the strom took a dump right there on the side of the road. busted the end ball off the front brake lever and thats it. could have been worse I reckon.
But still after all that, I had a good time cruising down 42. its a good road for bikes, and there was hardly any traffic. Just hate that I missed y'all.
maybe next time I'll be more prepared.:mrgreen:

#21 ·
Lefty - sorry you missed us, we thought we had everyone and we BS'd a good bit past 1:30 at Sonic so we thought anyone who was coming was there. It sounds like you just had "one of them days".

Don, thanks again for the great route and good lead of the pack. I have never ridden in a pack or for that matter on gravel roads and I did both today. When you are ready to ride the route again for your geocache-ing adventure, PM me and I'd like to tag along and see what all the excitement is about :cool:

Next time I show up to a January ride I will be more prepared with some proper gloves!

#22 ·
Great to meet everyone today. Thanks for hanging in there with my lead and route. It took longer than I expected, but hopefully everyone felt like it was time well spent. Any day spent riding is better than a day at work, right?!

I trust everyone made it home ok. The group split apart on the fly to head home towards the end, but that's ok. We'll try to plan for that ahead of time on the next ride, so there's less confusion.

Lefty, my estimate was way off. We didn't get back up towards US 1 until nearly 4pm, that's why you didn't see us.

I learned a few things today - about planning a ride, leading a ride, riding on gravel, and I got to meet some other riders. It was a great start to a new year! I'm definitely looking forward to getting together again.

Here's a link to the route in googlemaps. We made it around to New Hill and came back across US 1 before we started splitting up.

#24 ·
Great ride guys! Sorry I had to split off so early, but it was lucky I did. The deer were starting to come out, and my route home crosses Jordan Lake (deer haven). A few near misses were all I needed for reassurance that I made the right choice.

Glad to meet everyone, and I hope we can do it again! Lefty, we'll take more care to exchange numbers, etc. to make sure we don't miss anyone next time.

~Wes

#25 ·
Good Ride

Enjoyed meeting everyone. It was a very relaxed New Years Day for me. I didn't even get cold until the last 10 miles or so from home. When the sun went down the temps fell like a rock! Hope to see and ride with you all again.

#26 ·
Enigma - After your Stebel horn demonstration I just ordered me one. :mrgreen:

#27 · (Edited)
New years ride

I did a polar bear ride with my 2 brothers yesterday here in the Northwest and we nearly drowned. We stopped at a waffle house on the way home and left huge puddles on the carpeting were we sat. Glad you had a dry ride!

http://www.katu.com/news/36975449.html

Oh, when they say "waterproof" on the gear you buy they did not have this kind of riding in mind. They only way to stay dry in this is in the car!
We did have fun. Gave the oldest brothers 09 BMW GS a proper northwest break in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.