StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to join RidgeRunner and the others in the mtns on New Year's Day, but my schedule won't allow it. Also being the first day of the year, all my unused brownie points from '08 will have evaporated and I'll be starting over from scratch! I can only get permission for a shorter ride, closer to home.

Anyone else interested in doing an afternoon loop from Cary down towards Lillington and Sanford and back up towards Pittsboro? I'd like to make a couple stops along the way to hunt for a few geocaches, if the group is agreeable. I'm flexible on everything - the time (thinking about meeting at 1-ish), the route, and the geocaches.

Don

·
Registered
91 Posts
Count me in....just give me the details of where to meet and when.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmmm.....I would say I could meet you in the new Super-Walmart parking lot on the 55 bypass or if you want to do smaller scale and perhaps some lunch, there is a Sonic on the old 55 which takes you directly in Town. The Sonic is basically behind my subdivision.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I will be up for this ride if I'm in town. Will there be plenty of twisties on the route??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to keep the route on back roads as much as possible, and away from long straight runs. I'm not an expert on the area, but will see what I can pick out from the maps and aerial photos. Nor am I an expert on riding the twisties, so I'll get us started and tell you where to wait for me!

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you are still planning this ride, I would like to commit to it.

Are you still planning on meeting in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Holly Springs at 1pm New Year's Day?

Also, is this Walmart located at 7016 Gb Alford Hwy, Holly Springs, NC 27540?

By the way, it looks like it will reach the low 40's, with sun and low (5-10mph) wind levels. I don't mind riding in these temps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks like it'll be a great ride; let's finalize!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, some details.

Let's meet at 1:30 pm, at the Sonic on business Hwy 55 at Cayman Ave:
700 Cayman Ave, Holly Springs, NC 27540

We can grab a bite if anyone wants, or just meet there and ride.

I've got a tentative 60-70 mile route laid out that should let us enjoy some back roads, including a couple of gravel sections. I'll PM the route details to anyone that's interested. The plan is very flexible, so we can cut it short, vary it, etc, as we see fit.

I still need to pick out a few geocache locations that I want to try and find. Will post those later today.

Don

·
Registered
181 Posts
New Year's Day Ride - Triangle Area

Don,
I can join you guys on this ride. Wanna meet in Cary at the shopping center at the corner of Old Apex and Cary Parkway? That's about a 30 minute ride to the Walmart in Holly Springs. Say around 12:30-12:45pm?

NCVSTROM are you gonna be able to join?

Fletch

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok, some details.

Let's meet at 1:30 pm, at the Sonic on business Hwy 55 at Cayman Ave:
700 Cayman Ave, Holly Springs, NC 27540

We can grab a bite if anyone wants, or just meet there and ride.

I've got a tentative 60-70 mile route laid out that should let us enjoy some back roads, including a couple of gravel sections. I'll PM the route details to anyone that's interested. The plan is very flexible, so we can cut it short, vary it, etc, as we see fit.

I still need to pick out a few geocache locations that I want to try and find. Will post those later today.

Don
1:30 @ Sonic.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Unless my count is off (and it may very well be) we've got a meeting of SEVEN stroms for this ride! Can't wait! Someone try and remember to bring a camera.

Everyone be safe tonight.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It was good to meet you all today! I think it was a pretty good ride considering none of us have ridden together before.

I also got to practice some dirt roads today. Although I have been riding for over 20 years, the only non-pavement riding I have done is with this bike, and it consists of about 2 miles total before today.

Adv-Family, thanks for organizing the ride and the route.

Keep in touch everyone, I'm always interested in riding with others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks ADV-Family for putting it together.Enjoyed the ride and meeting everyone. Lets ride and dine next time,I was starving after eating dust from the Two Brothers.

·
Registered
110 Posts
had fun anyway....

Well I must of missed the V train by a few minutes. I took 42 all the way to lower river rd. and went about halfway up, then parked by a power line road.
it was about 3:10 when I turned onto lower river rd. I waited till 3:35 then
decided I was probably too late. Never seen any other bikes the whole way,
although I almost got creamed by 3 quadtards who ran a stop sign and pulled right out in front of me on the way back. no lights, no helmets no mirrors so they had no idea I was back there till I layed on the horn and just barely squeezed by. when I was suiting up to leave, one of the zippers broke on my chaps, so I made quick use of some zip ties. Then to top it all off, I had forgotten to buckle the chin strap on my helmet in my haste to leave. My sunglasses were fogged over, so when I pulled over on the side of the road,
I went to put my right foot down, but there wasn't any ground there.So me and the strom took a dump right there on the side of the road. busted the end ball off the front brake lever and thats it. could have been worse I reckon.
But still after all that, I had a good time cruising down 42. its a good road for bikes, and there was hardly any traffic. Just hate that I missed y'all.
maybe next time I'll be more prepared.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts