StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I found this site whilst researching for a replacement for my 11 year old SV650S and thought I would join up because I ended up putting down a deposit today on a 2011 grey Weestrom ABS with centre stand and hand guards. I pick it up on Friday and I can't wait to get it home! :thumbup:

The reason for my choice? It was extremely comfortable during the test ride and I absolutely love Suzuki's 650 V-twin engine, it is an absolute peach. IMHO there is nothing sweeter in the mid capacity range and it punches WAY above it's capacity in both power and torque and still manages to be extremely economical (well, my carby SV is anyway!) Also for the 11 years I have owned my SV it hasn't let me down once and the engine still runs as sweetly as it did the day I rode it home 11 years ago. Reliability has been second to none and that also influenced my decision. As much as I love how easily you can throw the SV around, it is not really the most comfortable bike, especially considering I have the S and I mostly use it as my work commuter hence the update. I hope that the Weestrom will provide me with just as many grin inducing moments as my SV has over the years.

I look forward to reading posts in this forum on tips/tricks/stories from people about what appears to be a great all rounder. Hopefully I will get at least as many trouble free years out of the Weestrom as I have had from the SV. It will still be sad to see the SV go, but hopefully this will fill the void!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Mafian ,CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to get a wee strom ,i bet this week will feel like an eternity until friday arrives and you collect your new bike ,Ride Safe ,Cheers Paul .

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Welcome Mafian,

Let me know when you get it and we will go for a ride [I live 15 minutes from you].

There is a good bunch of guys from this forum that I ride with from time to time [we are known as "The McGrath's Hill Mob" when we get together for a ride, although several of them live a fair distance away].

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome, hope to catch you on a ride some day.

Enjoy the Wee, you will :thumbsup:

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
532 Posts
good choice, enjoy the Strom,

You live in a location near some of best rides in Sydney, Putty, Bells o line, springwood, dural, jenolan, oberon, mudgee, old gosford, wisemans ferry,

I am up the mountain a short way from you too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello Mafian,

Welcome to the forum, its a great place with a top bunch of peoples.
Plenty of crazy nut cases who love nothing better than to get for a ride on their Stroms. :green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Welcome to the nut house Marfain
Check out Saturn 5's ride to Dubbo on 25th

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for kind words everyone. I will have to take up the offers of the odd ride. And yes, Friday is rolling around VERY slowly!!!!

I am also considering getting a staintune exhaust for it (stock is WAY too quiet, you can't even tell it is a v-twin!). Now the thing is would it be worth waiting for the first service or just getting them to fit one now whilst they are fitting the side stand etc and just use the restrictor for the first few hundred kms. I like option 2!!!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
good choice, enjoy the Strom,

You live in a location near some of best rides in Sydney, Putty, Bells o line, springwood, dural, jenolan, oberon, mudgee, old gosford, wisemans ferry,

I am up the mountain a short way from you too.
I probably rode past your place last week, headed across from the Bell's Line to the Putty via Mountain Lagoon road.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Thanks for kind words everyone. I will have to take up the offers of the odd ride. And yes, Friday is rolling around VERY slowly!!!!

I am also considering getting a staintune exhaust for it (stock is WAY too quiet, you can't even tell it is a v-twin!). Now the thing is would it be worth waiting for the first service or just getting them to fit one now whilst they are fitting the side stand etc and just use the restrictor for the first few hundred kms. I like option 2!!!
I am not found of paying someone my hard earnt to do a job that I can do myself Mafian,first service is a must re warranty,Harbour Bridge nuts and bolts jobs can be very satisfying if done by oneself.having said that I have dropped my guard badly and am awaiting one fair on the snoz,get yourself a fork brace :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum; There are several of us in your region including myself, so join in!
You asked for tips etc? O.K. I'll start. 1. Raise the forktubes 13mm up through the triple-trees to sharpen up the steering by a considerable amount. ( mine are 15mm ) cos I like that amount, a personal preference.
2. Install emulators or intiminators in the forks. This will improve the both compression and rebound quite a bit.
These two tips are but a couple of many. You may already have done these to your S.V. as they share common forks I'm told.
Whatever.... Join in!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I probably rode past your place last week, headed across from the Bell's Line to the Putty via Mountain Lagoon road.
Yes getting close, did you enjoy going through the rocks, sand, water crossings and mud going down the mountain?
I may come down the mountain to join the Dubbo ride for part of the way (weather permitting) we are visiting another destination on the other side of lithgow that weekend but it will be good to put faces to names on this forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The mountains used to be my stomping ground before I got on two wheels (or four for that matter). I'm jealous of your awesome roads!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yes getting close, did you enjoy going through the rocks, sand, water crossings and mud going down the mountain?

I may come down the mountain to join the Dubbo ride for part of the way (weather permitting) we are visiting another destination on the other side of lithgow that weekend but it will be good to put faces to names on this forum.
Did I miss something :confused:

For the most part I didn't have a problem with the road through [and I'm no great dirt rider :fineprint: ].

There are plenty of us around the area to get together for rides.

Names and faces will become known :yikes:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
It's one of those things ....

Some guys like to rush in and get all the fruit right at the start.
Some like to ride it as is for a while so that when the farkles (do you know that word yet?) start coming you're in a position to compare new with old and you appreciate and understand the mods more.

I've never been in a position to go all out with upgrades, so I find that over time with each new modification, I notice the character, or the handling, or the comfort etc etc changing that little bit, usually for the better.

With your long experience with Suzooks though, you probably know what you want without it being a trial and error exercise. So welcome to the forum mate and we'll see you at Bingara next year with the new pipe on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again everyone. Don't worry, these initial farkles are just to get me started while I have the money and can just concentrate on enjoying the first few thousand kms before the bug bites too hard! I hope to eventually do things bit by bit like a radguard (has saved the SV on more than one occasion) and maybe panniers etc.

I know there are a few exhuasts out there that are cheaper (I had a pipemasters pipe on the SV) but I just like the durability/look/sound of the Staintunes, the fact I am supporting the local industry and that if you don't want it too loud for any reason it is easy to pop the restrictor plug in the back so you don't annoy the neighbors at 6am when you leave for work on a below zero morning, anything that makes the parts around the suspension more rigid so it can work properly can only be good! Thanks for the tips on the front fork brace etc, it seems to be a common theme. Will give it a few kms so I can get a good feel for it and then may whack one on. That way it will give everything a chance to bed in.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts