StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Just wanted to share some of my excitement on the forum. I'm 25, just made it through the MSF class, and purchased a used 2009 Wee ABS. Have some experience riding mostly dirt bikes in high school, but not much since. I'm 6'2, 185 and thinking the Wee will be a great first "real" bike. Have to wait three more weeks for a pick-up in Salt Lake... gonna be a long three weeks.

Bike is farkled nicely, and has all the stuff I really wanted to add, minus some hand guards and maybe some grip heaters. 2,200 miles and ready to go. Living in Colorado, and I'm really excited to explore some of the places I haven't seen yet.

I'm sure I'll be on here frequently asking some questions when needed. I'm really impressed with the friendliness and help always offered on this site. Here's a pic of the bike, I'll try to post more in three weeks.

On a side note, do any of you have some tips on how to calm down a very nervous fiance??? :confused:

Cheers,

Midrover

·
Registered
392 Posts
fiance

#1 rule for not impressing fiance, don't try to impress her with your "skills" nor the bike's power. Have had friends that turned off any chance of their SO's ever riding on the bike with them doing that. Slow and easy on quiet country roads.

Bill H.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congratulations on making a great choice! The Wee is a fine bike to learn on – light, smooth, easy to ride and powerful enough so that you don’t outgrow it. And it’s great that you already went through the MSF course, it's the first thing I encourage new riders to do.

Regarding your fiancé, my suggestion is to show her you take riding seriously: ride responsibly and always wear your safety gear even when it’s too hot or too much trouble. After you have ridden solo long enough to feel confident, see if she’d be interested in riding along. If so, take her shopping for a good helmet and riding jacket (something about getting geared up tends to make people more enthusiastic about trying something new.) And let her get whatever she wants … it’s going to be hers after all.

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
you've got previous dirt bike experience. You're not really learning, just getting better!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great advice already in this thread, last thing you want to do is rush your girl into riding with you. If/when she is ready, make sure she has good fitting riding gear, and don't try to impress her. The most impressive thing you can do is not scare her and get her back on the ground safely.

Congrats on the Wee, and I am a fan of the OEM grip warmers and hand guards, hard to go wrong and they're actually affordable. Also, your pic doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
well said

Great advice already in this thread, last thing you want to do is rush your girl into riding with you. If/when she is ready, make sure she has good fitting riding gear, and don't try to impress her. The most impressive thing you can do is not scare her and get her back on the ground safely.

Congrats on the Wee, and I am a fan of the OEM grip warmers and hand guards, hard to go wrong and they're actually affordable. Also, your pic doesn't work for me.
Couldn't have said it better-!!
Great to hear you did the MSF class-!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Simple tip, when she is going to ride with you. Ask her to look over your shoulder in the direction you are turning, eg right shoulder if your are leaning right etc. This will help her and she will not feel the need to straighten up and thus less tension for the two of you. Other thing, great that you got the bike before marriage. It is like smoking cigars better to smoke them before you get married instead of trying to have one after marriage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Another tip, don't insist she ride with you. Let her warm up to you riding safely first.
It was over a year after I got my Wee before my wife even sat on it. Then her first ride was only 6 miles. She now likes it an suggests we take it sometimes. She as done one 300 mile trip thus far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike and happy riding.
If you have not ridden two-up before, see if you can persuade someone more expendable than your fiance to ride behind you on a couple of rides. You will get used to riding with the extra weight, and will be more relaxed when your fiance first rides with you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another option is to see if she will be willing to take the MSF class. I did that with my wife. Told her if anything she will learn something about bikes from experienced riders and become a better driver around motorcyclists at a minimum.
Now I have a Wee and she has her own motorcycle. She now rides to work alone and she loves it.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We were originally going to take the MSF class together, but she started getting nervous beforehand and I told her to go at her own pace and don't take the class if she was going to be scared. Figured she'd just get hurt that way.

However, one of the instructors said that the timid/scared students are usually some of their best. Oh well. I think the idea is to take some rides on very lightly traveled roads for the first few trips at a very relaxed pace. Maybe throw the hiking/camping gear in and kill two birds with one stone. I think her interest, and/or comfort will increase this way.

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome

You made a good choice with the wee. It will fill your need for a long time. All good advice for your fiance. My wife has been riding with me for 54 years and she is still one of my favorite riding partners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts