StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

First of all great site - very helpful and used by a bunch of people who are clearly passionate about their bikes and also know what they are talking about :)

I have just picked up my new 2007 V-Strom X and need to get it prepared for a liitle trip in January next year - UK to Timbuctoo and back again - about 11,000 miles over 5 weeks or so - am I mad:confused:

At the moment the bike is standard (apart from Suzuki gel seat) and a Baglux tank bag and harness are on their way.

I need to sort out a set of hard luggage - my preference is to go for a set of aluminium cases. Need to be solid and robust - I expect to drop the bike several times on the trip and the boxes need to be able to stand up to some fairly heavy use. Also need to be available in the UK - any thoughts or comments please ?

A centre stand will be needed - the '07 V-Stom X has the Suzuki engine guard fitted as standard - does anyone know if the Suzuki centre stand will fit without modifying the engine guard ?

Anyone fitted an aftermarket pipe to a K7 yet ?

Finally I am not convinced about the standard bars - they look a little weak and flimsy. Anyone fitted a set of fat bars ? I am looking for a set of risers (about 5cm) to go from the standard mounting point to fit a set of KTM 990 Adventure Magura bars so I can then use the KTM hand guards.

All help and guidance greatly appreciated....................

Thanks

Pebble 35

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can only comment on the oe center stand. Yes they both work together just fine with no mods.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'm really looking forward to pictures of that trip......Suggestion of Aluminum is bang on for what you are going to do . If I could offer - just as important as the cases are the actual mounts, specifically the part that the case locks into. Will you be able to fabricate something as backup if that latching or support part for the case breaks.?

I have GIVIS -not a good choice for offroad but for what I do, they're great. Accidentally kncoking my bike off side stand last year scratched a case and broke the upper mount latch (white metal). Now I carry a spare. - duct tape just doesn't hold a 41litre bag securely. Just a thought.

Safe riding and enjoy your new strom.

Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bars

I put a nice orange KTM Renthal fatbar on my bike using standard TAG risers. I am very happy with it. No flex, and I didn't have to get any longer lines, like brake or clutch. Everything fit but I had to grind off the little nibs on my clutch lever. Never had a problem with it slipping and I have a small amount of adjustment.

Even standing on the pegs or under hard braking no flex, I prefer the Renthal bend-less sweep and no wrist issue for me, plus they look bitchen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts