StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the basics: I've been riding for over 40 years, but this is my first Suzuki. I started out riding Honda's, and was satisfied, considering what are bikes were like then, compared to now. I seldom strayed (tho I had a fun 74 Bultaco Matador when I lived in Montana), but I never had a motorcycle that I was really content with. Like many of us here, I was always on the prowl, searching for that "perfect" bike, trying to find one bike that would meet all my riding needs. Even back then, I had a tendency to go with the "Moto" or scrambler style of bike.

In 1985, I totaled ( :yikes: locked it up) a brand new Honda Saber with on 125 miles on it. I was extremely lucky and walked away from the accident, and even tho they replaced the bike and I got right back on it, I just never felt comfortable in the heavy traffic that we have in the Twin Cities, so in '87, I sold my bike, and for the first time since high school, I was without a 2 wheeler. This lasted until 2002 when I read about the BMW 1150RT and the linked ABS (yes, I liked it!), and bought my first BMW. A few years ago, I started to experience health problems that caused me to downsize my bike for something easier to handle, and I bought an 09 F650gs Twin. Now, don't give me a bad time - it was/is a great bike, but I wasn't riding it enough to justify having it sit in my garage, reminding me everyday how much money I had invested.

So, a few months ago, once again, I decided it was time to downsize, and buy a bike that I wouldn't feel so guilty about neglecting. For three months I searched near and far for either an older F650gs Single or an older Tiger. I was pretty specific in what I wanted to buy. I did buy an 01 BMW R1100RL that was a beautiful bike and lots of fun to ride, but it was not a good physical fit.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a "WTB" message on the ADVRider Forum, stating the short list of bikes that I was interested in, and the VStrom was not on it. The only time I had looked at the DL650 was when I purchased my F650gs Twin, and I dismissed it immediately for being too "sporty", and truthfully, the comparison reviews weren't always that favorable. I had several offers for sport bikes, but my heart has always been with the DualSport, from the very beginning. The most interesting offer that I had was for a 99 Tiger that was a beautiful bike, immaculate condition, and every farkle known to mankind. And just before I pulled the trigger on the Tiger, an ADVRider friend steered me toward a bike belonging to a friend of his. Out of courtesy to my friend, I took a closer look, and realized that when I compared it against my list of "demands", it matched up "almost" perfectly.

So, to end my long story, I decided to open my mind a bit, did a little more research, and here I am today! I have only had it for 4 days, but I have already put as many miles on the Wee and as I had all summer on my F650gs. It is easy for me to handle (6'2", 275#), and only has 6 fewer HP than my Twin. At my age, I am not into the power thing, as long as there is enough power to pass easily on the freeway, and this has done the job so far. And it handles so much better than I expected. I should know by now to to believe everything that I read, but like everyone else, I tend to believe the reviews :argue: that support my choices. I can even say that I am finding it FUN to ride!

The only negative that I have found so far, is the insurance rate. I am insured thru Progressive, and my rate went UP $123 a year :jawdrop:, for a bike that was half the cost, 150cc smaller, and 6 HP less. The only rationale that my insurance agent could come up with is that I am now joining a group of younger, high risk riders, because the bike is a more affordable, entry level bike that is probably more attractive to a younger Market. So be it, if that is the price I must pay to join this group (and be called part of a "younger" group), it's worth it!!! :thumbup:

My Bike: A Silver 2009 DL650, non-ABS with 18K. Pretty much stock with the exception of the Madstad Screen, Color matched GIVI side cases, and Suzuki Hand Guards. It has been well cared for and it has never been dropped.

Upgrades underway: I have already purchased an SWMotech Crashbar, and a larger Windscreen, Cee Bailey HeadLight Guards, as well as a Seat that has been customized to add 2" more height.

Upgrades wanted: Mirror Extenders, Lower Pegs, Tank Guards, FZ1 FuseBlock, and a TailBag. I am watching for a good Custom Seat such as a Russell Long or Rich's. I would also like to pick up a Maintenance Manual/DVD.

I have a lot to learn about this bike, and just as importantly, this forum. I have really come to appreciate how great the Internet is for the motorcycle community, for technical support and friendship. From what I have seen in the last week, StromTrooper is going to be an invaluable asset, a great resource and tool that will enhance my experience as a new owner of a "Wee"!

The only Pic that I currently have is from the PO, and I will try to post more later as I find my way around this site.

Thanks for listening Everybody! :hurray:

TP...

V-Strom-1-M.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice bike man. Just got mine yesterday too, an 06 wee. I live over on the East side of St. Paul, hit me up some time and we can go for a jaunt up to Duluth or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Mike. My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I saved the email notification and then promptly forgot about it. You have to forgive those of us that have entered our "old timers" years.

Congratulations on your purchase! You were probably more aware of what the Wee had to offer, but I am sure you has as much of a grin on your face as I did, when you finally got to take it on your first ride. I know that I have lots to learn about this bike, but I already feel good that there is so much support for this model and best of all, the cost of farkles and maintenance looks quite a bit more reasonable so far.

I hope that at some point I can join you for a ride, but it will have to be much more local for me. Because of a vision impairment that I am learning to deal with, my riding is being restricted to short, local trips, for now. I am hoping that in the future that may change!

Thanks for the invitation and Ride Safe!

Tom ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts