StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself. I picked up a 2014 DL650A with ~15k miles about two weeks ago after a few years of lusting after motorcycles. I recently relocated to the Maryland suburbs of DC after spending the last four years living in and exploring the wilds of Washington State and the Pacific Northwest.

I've got a Givi skid and fork brace from Adventure Tech on order and I`m researching GPS mount and throttle lock options. Really enjoying the Wee so far, but I`m longing to get it in the dirt.

Here's a shot of the V at the dealer....and shortly after in my garage. I've also included a few of my other hobby, remote camping and exploring in my Xterra.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Welcome on board. The same as my 2015. Except my is in flat grey. The same MRA windscreen though?. What took you so long? Theses are great bikes. Had my just yesterday on some pretty tough of - road trails and it behaved very well specially with Heidenau K60 on the front and Mitas Dakar on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on your ride. Wishing you many two wheeler adventures.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome from big Wyoming. Watch the cages.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a Ram mount for my GPS.

Be sure to get a headlight relay installed. I just installed the Eastern Beaver one and it works great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Good advice on the above dash GPS mount, it does seem like that would be somewhat safer.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I lived in Glen Burnie before moving to NW Louisiana. I hate the east coast.....love the Arkansas camping and roads.
Welcome to the Wee world!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Welcome for the Chicago burbs!

I really like the over the dash GPS mount from Adventuretech on my '15 650 and the fact it positions my GPS so close to my line of sight.

If I were to do it again, I might very well spend a few bucks more for the over the dash shelf + ball mount. Had I done so, I figure by now I would have found a use for the shelf in addition to the ball.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought I'd update this thread now that I've had the bike for a few weeks.

I'm loving it. I've noticed some things I'll need to improve/replace, but I'm really enjoying this machine. I've ordered a Shad 45 top box to run full time, leaving the factory Suzuki panniers off for commuting and what not. The Shad should be in next week.

I've started researching windscreen options, as at 6 feet I'm getting a lot of helmet buffeting on the highway. I'll probably go with the Givi.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the fork brace and Givi skid from Adventure Tech. Hopefully they ship soon.

I road for the first time on some mild dirt roads today. I took it slow to get a feel for two wheels on dirt, as it's not something I'm not accustomed to. My biggest concern was lateral stability and traction, which seemed to be lacking with the equipped Pirelli street rubber on slightly off-camber dirt. I'm guessing a set of good all terrain tires would help this? I like the reviews on the Anakee Adventures.

Any who, here's a couple shots from today's ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Beautiful area your in . Congrats on the new to you wee. Since this was recently discussed and is an active
thread check out the - Cast wheel damaged from off roading? thread. There are some comments that
you might want to pay attention to. Primarily wees with the 3 spoke wheels. and the damage that can occur.

Anyway welcome to the forum - You will find it a nice environment to learn just about anything Vstrom related.

jake in Apopka Florida

1 - 15 of 15 Posts