StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have been lurking around here for several months. Reading, researching, drooling, and coming to the realization that the V-Strom is the bike for me. I rented a 2002 Vee a few weeks ago and had a great time but wasn't thrilled with the bike. I don't think that it was well kept and wasn't a true representation of what the Vee has to offer. My focus shifted away from the V-Strom back to other bikes like the Versys, Bandit, <insert 10-15 other bikes here>. Each time, I keep coming back to the V-Strom. Well, yesterday morning, a gorgeous 2009 orange Wee with 4500 miles went up for sale in Craigslist down in Tuscon. It was a picture of an orange Wee that I saw on this site several months ago that peeked my interest. I knew I had to act quickly. I called the seller the first thing yesterday morning and made the deal. Drove down yesterday and picked it up. Other than the 4500 miles on the clock, you would not be able to differentiate this bike from one on the showroom floor. I took a brief test ride (it was 112 yesterday) and now I see why you all rave about the bike. Incredibly smooth. I can't wait to get it registered/insured so that I can really put it's through the paces. I'll post some pics later tonight. Thanks to you all for steering me in the right direction.

My first "farkle" will be a dozen red roses to my wife. I don't know how she puts up with me.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coming from the dirt bike world as I see in your sig you picked the right bike. I raced alot of moto and find the strom very close to the moto X feel. CONGRATS!!!
Yeah, that was a huge factor in my decision.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sonn I will have the only Wee left in Tucson! :yesnod:
Haha. There was another one for sale down there over the weekend....2008 with ABS and lots of extras. I put an offer in on that one and lost out by a $100 bucks. I really wanted an orange one, so I'll take that as a sign from the motorcycle gods.

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Sonn I will have the only Wee left in Tucson! :yesnod:
From what I hear, it's too hot there to take long rides to cooler places like Mesa or Scottsdale.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a few pics....

Heading out of the Old Pueblo.....

New home. This is with the lower links set at two inches...

This is set to stock height. Ordered stock links and will install them next weekend. I want the stock height but don't want the extra links hanging down waiting to get hung up on something.

I ordered the Adventure MotoStuff Aluminum Engine Protector and GIVI Engine Guard and that will be in on Monday. I also have a MadStad Adjustable windshield mount and 22 " Smoke Adventure shield that came with the bike. I will install the mount tomorrow and see how it does with the stock shield and the larger one.

If anyone is interesting in the lowering links, let me know. They are Pro Teck and have three positions that result in a stock, 2 inch or 4 inch drop. I can't imagine the 4 inch. I was bottoming out with the two inch...but I'm not exactly petite either.

· Registered
260 Posts
From what I hear, it's too hot there to take long rides to cooler places like Mesa or Scottsdale.
Nah. It's hot, but not that bad. I ride with a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket though so there is a lot of breathability. I also wear an LD comfort long sleeve shirt and helmet liner when the going gets tough. Last weekend, I soaked both in cool water in Gila Bend and enjoyed the evaporative cooling effect all the way to I-10 before things dried out. It literally felt like 75 degrees even though the actual temp was in the area of 104. :thumbup:

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Send me a PM when you're ready to ride up north. Congrats!
Hey Dave! Thanks! I will do that. Not sure if you remember me sending you a pm back in January about the Vee vs Wee. Six months later, I finally made up my mind.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in Flagstaff. Take a ride up this way, it's warm but not nearly as hot as it is down south.
Planning on it. I'm a Flagstaff native so I know how nice you have it now. Rains will be coming soon!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.