StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my '09 Wee Strom yesterday. I'm selling my '09 DR650(if anyone is interested). The bike came with a Givi top case and TT crash bars.
I ordered new Racetech springs and Emulators. What are the necessary Farkles?
I was thinking
Fork brace
radiator guard
Front fender extender
seat concepts seat

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are many threads about what are the necessary farkles. I'm sure if you searched it you'd be amazed at the threads. That being said, it's all dependent on what kind of rider you are, what kind of riding you do, and what you expect out of the wee. You really need to ride it for awhile to really get a good feel for what you want.

Personally, my wee came with some farkles that I was glad to have because I planned on getting them anyways. Those were the skid plate and crash bar setup along with some panniers. Other than that, just from reading around the forum, I made a list of what I thought I wanted, then the more I've ridden it I've modified the list in the order that I deem them to be necessary for me. For example, because I'm a commuter with mine, the first two must haves were hand guards to keep the wind off my hands on cold mornings, and a top box to keep the width narrow but still carry what I needed for work.

I agree with your short list as a start.

YMMV

·
Registered
261 Posts
or you could look at farkles that others have and decide what you'd like/need from that...
Here's a list of some

Yuasa YTX12-BS original battery, to be replaced by Shorai lithium/iron LFX14A1-BS12
NGK Iridium IX - CR8EIX gap .028-.031
K&N air filter
Shindengen FH012AA regulator/rectifier
MadStad windshield bracket
Larger Givi windshield
Givi E460 top case with Luggage Rack/Backrest and Givi side cases
Heated grips
Hand guards
30mm handlebar risers
Koubalink to lower motorcycle 1 1/8
Mirror extenders
Fenda Extenda
Gel seat
Fork Brace [email protected]
Center stand
Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight relay kit
Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Solution fuse panel kit
12V socket
Sponge handlegrips
Oil filter adapter accepts Purolator Pure One PL14610... Bales Technical Service Oil Filter Adaptor
17 tooth front sprocket
Metzeler Tourance tires

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the Seat Concept seat today. I think next will be fork brace, lowered pegs, and Aux lights. Sunday I plan on doing a 300 mile ride through the Berkshires up to VT.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Picked up my '09 Wee Strom yesterday. I'm selling my '09 DR650(if anyone is interested). The bike came with a Givi top case and TT crash bars.
I ordered new Racetech springs and Emulators. What are the necessary Farkles?
I was thinking
Fork brace
radiator guard
Front fender extender
seat concepts seat

Thanks!
I found a center stand to be an absolute must have. After that you can go crazy :mrgreen:

Some stuff I've installed, plan on installing or removed, yes I'm nuts I admit it..

Shindengen FH012AA regulator/rectifier : to be installed
Russel Day Long seat
20 mm Ammo cans
E51 Top case
heated grips
Debali LED's
Krista LED's
Scottoiler
Voltmeters
Elka shock
handlebar risers
barkbusters
PC8 Fusebox
HID kit
HID relay kit
Admore LED top box kit
Homemade skidplate
Givi crash bars
Tire pressure monitoring system : removed
Headlight cutout switch
Shorai lithium/iron LFX18A1-BS12
Some extra LED's here and there just because I had them
GPS
centerstand
Tool tube
Gear indicator
Made bracket to lower the shifter & peg
600W external alternator : still testing, appears to be working so far, big thanks to Realshelby on this one, if it weren't for his work I'd never have started this project.

I know, I should ride and stop tinkering. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I ordered the Seat Concept seat today. I think next will be fork brace, lowered pegs, and Aux lights. Sunday I plan on doing a 300 mile ride through the Berkshires up to VT.
IMHO, I don't think the strom needs more lights. All it does is soak up wattage. The only thing I have planned is to upgrade to hid's, and that's just cause. I commute in the dark on a dark highway in the rain in the northwest and stock lights work great.

You're money you're farkles. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
IMHO, I don't think the strom needs more lights. All it does is soak up wattage. The only thing I have planned is to upgrade to hid's, and that's just cause. I commute in the dark on a dark highway in the rain in the northwest and stock lights work great.

You're money you're farkles. Just my opinion.
The lights on the Strom are good. Even brighter when upgraded to HID's. However, adding a set of lights lower on the front of the bike creates a triangle of lights that aid in visibility.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get some buffeting so I raised the shield one notch. I'll try it out today. I was thinking of getting the Madstad brackets but what screen works well wit them. I'm 6', 32" inseam. Also does replacing the stock mirrors help with the buffeting?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I get some buffeting so I raised the shield one notch. I'll try it out today. I was thinking of getting the Madstad brackets but what screen works well wit them. I'm 6', 32" inseam. Also does replacing the stock mirrors help with the buffeting?
I'm 5' 11" and have the stock windscreen on the tallest setting and it's been my favorite combo. I've tried all positions with my givi touring screen, and it's not bad, but stock is better. You'll just have to experiment for you like the best. Most use madstads but I don't think it's necessary, it could help though.

I've gone to bar end mirrors, and I think it helped immensely. It makes the wind much smoother.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is no need to spend a fortune on dressing up your bike. I am done messing with mine. All I have is a gel seat insert, hand guards, 2 windscreens, Givi top box and Dan Vesel highway pegs and back rest. I can live without a fork brace, crashbars, a centrestand, GPS or any electronics. I'm used to riding a stock cruiser with highway pegs and nothing else. Save money where you can, you do not have to 'keep up' with anyone.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Farklel to suit your style

Aux pwer outlet ( marine cigarettte socket) $15
Heated grips ($55):yesnod:
Centrestand ( Hepco Becker):yesnod:
Givi crashbars:yesnod:
Soft luggage ($140)
Rack extener (from this site Aus section) ($50ish):yesnod:
Forkbrace (Ricks) :hurray:

Probably need a bashplate but I'm going for an off road bike to handle real single strack stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight relay kit help at all? I was thinking of going to the HID's on both sides but if the EB kit brightens things up, I might just go that route.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts