StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Wee yesterday. Was curious if anybody had any recommendations for the lowcountry areas?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Recommendations for riding, farkles, fellow riders?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nroman....Areas and trails most specifically. I ended up heading up 17N towards Georgetown and ended up at Francis Marion National Park. Buddy of mine has a DRZ and it was great to get on some of the trails the forrest has to offer. On the first ride I got to test it out on pavement, gravel, sand, and hard dirt. Put over 100 miles on it and got to put some wear on the tires. I am already in love with this new toy and can't wait to get past that break in period!

MrMac...I travel a lot for work, but rest assured as soon as I get the opportunity I'm heading up in that direction. My parents live outside of Charlotte and I can't wait to get in to the mountains. Going to try and head out to Deal's Gap maybe in September or October. You been?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes, but to me Deals Gap is a been there, done that ride. Much better alternates just as good with less traffic. But if you haven't been, I guess you gotta try it once! Keep an eye for the Spring Vstrom rally that is held at Ironhorse Lodge near Robbinsville NC. One of your fellow Charlestonians (?) has been an organizer, and does a great job of it!

As for routes in the low-country, I have a daughter in Charleston, so I've ridden there a few times. Good roads mostly until you get to within 30-40 miles of the city. Then I'd just as soon be on the Interstate. I've tried several different routes to avoid the major cities (mostly Augusta) between here and there. Good roads west of Walterboro all the way to south of Augusta, but they get crowded the closer you get to Summerville or Charleston. My last trip home, I took I-26 until just past Orangeburg, then swung through North SC (interesting name!), taking 178 until Saluda, before heading west to home. I've never ridden to the north of Charleston, but it looks like there could be some interesting rides around the Lake Moultrie/Marion area. Maybe I'll try them out on one of my visits..!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I haven't been to the Gap yet, so I have to check it out at least once. Thanks for the advice, and I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled foro that Spring Vstrom rally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dangerous place the Gap is, especially on weekends!
Yeah so I hear. I ride pretty hard, but that's one place I'll be taking it easy. I'll be going with several good friends of mine who are excellent riders and have ridden through there quite a few times, so that'll be a plus. We'll definitely be going mid-week too. They say the weekends are crowded. I'll definitely leave a post whenever we do go up. Maybe I'll see some other Stromers on the road. I've yet to see another one anywhere in my neck of the woods. Most people kind of give me funny looks around here. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts