StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2011 Wee about a month ago. It has been a great bike so far, and I've put about 1,100 miles on it.

My normal routine when I go for a ride is to start it, in neutral, leaning on the kickstand and let it warm up as I put my gear on. The last few days though, it will not start unless I lift the bike up off the kickstand. It will then start up no problem, I lean it back down on the kickstand and it warms up fine.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Are you sure it isn't in gear? Do you get a CHEC in the usual clock position when it won't start? That would indicate it is in gear and the kickstand is down. The engine won't start or run in that condition. It has to be in neutral when the kickstand is down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is in neutral when I try this. The green neutral light is on, and I manually make sure it is in neutral. The first time this happened, the first thing I did was dig out the owners manual and make sure I had the start up procedure right. I did, so I threw my leg over it, picked it up off the kickstand and it started right away.

Now that I think about it, I washed the bike Saturday, and when I went for a ride after, that was the first time this happened. I probably got an electrical connection wet. Any thoughts on where I should look?

·
38,104 Posts
Was it cranking when it had start trouble? The only typical problem with starting if the starter is turning over the engine involves heat. Hot weather, parking in the sun or sitting with a hot engine after a ride can cause fuel vapor to build up in the intakes. Simply opening the throttle to let more air in until the engine fires solves that. The simple act of righting the bike should have no effect on anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, does not crank. Though when thumb the start button, I can hear the injectors humming and the headlight cuts off. It did this to me this morning, and all I did was lift the bike up off the kickstand and it fired up right away.

·
38,104 Posts
If it doesn't crank, there is an interlock involved. If you don't get a CHEC at the clock position, it's usually the clutch switch. You aren't hearing the injectors but the fuel pump. Check the wires under the clutch lever for a loose connection. It's probably your moving the handlebars that makes a difference. The clutch switch is the one interlock that doesn't show a message at the clock position and allows the fuel pump to run. The TOS will show an FI at the clock position and won't let the fuel pump run.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, it was the clutch interlock. I just checked the connection. Somehow it came unlatched and was barely in the plug. Plugged it back in and the bike fired up right away. Thanks for the help. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
These diagnostic threads are really informative. Thanks, GW! :thumbup: You should develop a Greywolf iPod/iPhone app.

·
Registered
297 Posts
These diagnostic threads are really informative. Thanks, GW! :thumbup: You should develop a Greywolf iPod/iPhone app.
I second that!!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
+1 for GW support.

Typically when dealing with complex machines/systems there is a run book.
For a V-STROM, one of the pages could be:
"ENGINE START"
1. Turn engine cut of switch to on position (switch icon shown)
2. Life foot peg to up position
3. Change gear to Neutral, ensure green N led is lit
4. Hold engine start switch for one second

"TROUBLESHOOT"
1. Fuel pumps make a sound, no CHEC warning in display -
1.a. Check that clutch plug in securely in place
etc. etc.

Such a small run book (paper-version) stowed under that seat can be really useful. Of course it could also be a PDF or even app (I could easily build an Android app for that - VSTROM RUNBOOK).
But the main challenge is not technology here, but content.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts