1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi there fellow Onturdian.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Hi Large, welcome to the forum. Whats your story?

cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am a firefighter, and also in the army reserve for 22 yrs. Big Land Rover Fan. Got into that for the "essence" of adventure travel. Got a big yellow discovery 1, all pimped out (raised, mud tires, winch, roof rack, Scars and dents). Not to be confused with "jeepers", i do not like to get stuck, see how far i can get through a swamp for no reason, or climb on rocks, unless they are in the way of my destination. I am interested in expedition camping/exploring, not ripping up the trails.
Looks like I have a good support truck for starters!

been lurking around the sites, and it looks like this is the bike I want(STILL SHOPPING-this will also be a daily driver for hopefully 10 months a year!) although my jury is out on 650/1000. I am 6'5, and 285lbs.

Can't really afford a BMW or KTM although that would be dreamy. Vstrom seem s to be highly recommended. Initially I thought KLR 650 but a guy warned me off.

Been on ADV rider site....awesome...the pics from the "Ontario Adventure riders" seem to be right up my alley!!

I am going to go to the bike show and do some hard looking!

In the mean time...if you want to see some of my "reports" ,pics of me and my truck can be found at www.landroveradventure.com , and www.discoweb.org and www.ovlr.org

any input and suggestions will be appreciated and I look forward to gettin't out. I bet some of my LR friends would like to team up on some trips too!

Large

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Welcome to a fine place to meet people

Howdy, large!

I like your town, and have ridden my Wee-Strom both over it and through it. I recall the days when the high-level bridge did not exist, so there were occasional long waits for the lift bridge.

I am lighter than you, but I frequently carry heavy loads very long distances, so my total load is greater than yourself plus a tent, sleeping bag, and satchel. The 650cc engine is very powerful, and has reached 110 MPH with a heavy load and without a complaint. Understand that I was the limiting factor; the bike was willing to keep accelerating but I chose to slow down. A few hours later the bike hauled that heavy load to 11300 feet, again with no complaint.

Unless you need a tremendous amount of power, 650cc will suffice.

If you need great power, go ahead and spend a couple of thousand dollars for the liter engine. Of course some of the money will come back when you sell, but insurance for 1000cc may be more costly than for 650cc.

After 33 months and 36000 miles, I am still in awe of the total wonderfulness of the Wee-Strom. I hope to ride the bike much farther and continue to have terrific adventures, both planned and unplanned.

Good luck in your quest. Whichever you choose, you will get a fine mount!

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts