StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Anyone that has one how do they find it for long distance? Looking at replacing my 2002 with a new one and thinking of a 2014

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did 2000 km in three days last weekend w/camping gear. Super comfortable, no issues. The upright seating position is a winner.

Oh, and with all that gear, was able to crank the Pl$$ out of it in the corners. A total blast.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you have and like any other Vstrom model and like it you will find the 14 1000 to be a 100% improvement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2008 wee strom on which I have done several 1000 km, one 1200, and one 1600km in 24 hr Far Rides in perfect comfort. I've had my 2014 1000 for a month and have put 14000 on it including 14 days straight of up to 900km a day. I'd say my new bike is slightly more comfortable than the wee. I have sheepskin seat covers in both bikes. I'm 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam and I'm in my mid-sixties with a bad back and arthritic knees. I'd have no hesitation in doing a 1600km ride in 24 hours on the new 1000.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gear whine

Does the cam gear whine bother anybody on long rides, or do you get used to it?

Does it get quieter as the engine gets some miles on it?

I found it quite annoying on a short demo ride the other day. I do usually wear ear plugs though.

20w50 might quiet the mechanical noises some.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Does the cam gear whine bother anybody on long rides, or do you get used to it?

Does it get quieter as the engine gets some miles on it?

I found it quite annoying on a short demo ride the other day. I do usually wear ear plugs though.

20w50 might quiet the mechanical noises some.

Thanks,
Jim
That is a characteristic of the engine, not unlike how an ST1300 sounds. I cannot see how that whine bothers anyone, sounds like a supercharger to me. Thicker oil then 40 weight will quiet down some engine noises a slight bit, but once again all the noises are not uncommon for either V-Strom model.

·
Vendor
5,420 Posts
I did 5,150 miles in three weeks on mine with ~2,800 of that over five days. I thoughts of doing a 1,000 mile day, but the seat and my butt weren't that compatible. Also, the standard windshield is surprisingly effective, but could use an upgrade. My foot peg control and lowering kit was installed on the bike within 200 miles, so I can't say much about the stock geometry for the legs other than it felt a little tight so I changed it.

That said, absolutely, the new Vee could be a fantastic rally machine with the usual upgrades. Even ST1300s and FJR1300s get new seats and windshields for long distance duty.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
:mod2_wheelchair:
I have a 2008 wee strom on which I have done several 1000 km, one 1200, and one 1600km in 24 hr Far Rides in perfect comfort. I've had my 2014 1000 for a month and have put 14000 on it including 14 days straight of up to 900km a day. I'd say my new bike is slightly more comfortable than the wee. I have sheepskin seat covers in both bikes. I'm 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam and I'm in my mid-sixties with a bad back and arthritic knees. I'd have no hesitation in doing a 1600km ride in 24 hours on the new 1000.
Well...you must take a lot of drugs cause I'm in the same boat (bad knee, arthritic hands, knee and shoulders, mid sixties) and Im good for maybe 400kms a day. And that's pushin it.:mod2_wheelchair:

·
Registered
87 Posts
The problem, ToadRide, is that you live near some of the best motorcycle roads in North America. The rest of us mid-sixties types is that we get used to needing to travel more Kms just to hit great roads!

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I'd say that with the seat broken-in, controls adjusted to suit you, the pre-load properly set and a new windscreen (if you're 6' or more) it would be great. But wear the earplugs anyway.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If someone wants to loan me one for a weekend, I'll do some in depth research for ya...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Don't lend him one; he'll forever be cursing you for making him buy a 2014 and making to swap his Kamakazi for a matching Hayabusa.
A risk I'm willing to take. But the Connie is going nowhere.

·
Registered
449 Posts
A risk I'm willing to take. But the Connie is going nowhere.
I traded an 11 Connie on my V2, I just could not get comfortable on that bike. I did love the power but the V2 is way faster in tight twisties. That and I hated the linked brakes on the 11 but you can't beat it for high speed slabbing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts