StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Just bought a new-to-me '02 Vee.

Aside from the bike trying to tear itself apart at 3k rpm, which ill fix as money and time become more available, ive got a slight issue with my turn signal.
The bike had been dropped at least once while not moving before I bought it. The left front turn signal seems damaged, the light works (swapped with other side, just fine), but it coming on.

Im thinking a damaged wire, which would royally suck if I have to replace the whole thing. Im just wondering if it might be something simpler that you folks would know about with more Vee experience. My diagnosis comes from the left rear and center console light blinking about 3 times faster than normal, which is from more power getting sent to the blinking timer (or whatever its called) instead of going to the front light.
I dont have a wiring diagram and limited knowledge of how to take the plastics off.

As a side note: anyone know what happened to the Yosh loaner program?

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it's not the lamp, and you have proved by substitution, then I guess it has to be the wiring and for that you will have to dig into it. Lots of stuff on here on how to do that but you might find this easier to search with V-Strom Motorcycle Search Engine once you have had the front bits off a few times it's not so intimidating. And if you are dismantling the cowling etc might be a good idea to put the extended pipework in for a TBS while you're about it. In fact I wonder if there should be a stickey for "once you've got the Strom to bits, do this"

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
shit gears

Vees are happier at 4,000rpm and higher.
Mine has vibrated exactly at 3800rpm for it's life and has 94,000km; but is perfect over 4000 and very happy at 5000 to 6000. It's got enough torque from idle to 2500 to putz along but I would say that I'm actually lugging it when riding at 3000.

As for the signal light. Could it be as simple as mis-mathched bulbs ? I'd try 4 new ones all of the same type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im waiting for the oil adapter to get here in the mail, then I plan on replacing plugs, coolant, oil, air filter, throttle synch, and the turn signal. Was just trying to save time on the signal if at all possible heh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The turns signals plug into the harness just inside the fairing from where the light is mounted. I'd check that plug and make sure it is seated and snapped together.

There isn't much to the fixture - it is a 2-conductor wire and a little plug coming out of the back. If you have big hands it can be a pain to get in there but it is worth a check. You will have to find it anyway if you change the whole thing.

Look on one of the Suzuki parts websites where they have all the micro fiches online and you get see how it all goes together. I use Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories by BikeBandit.com because they are on the west coast and so am I, but there are lots of sites that sell OEM parts (as I'm sure you know).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts