StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently ride an 07 Vee and have been well pleased. However, I plan to retire in a year and due a pensioner's income limitations, I want to buy what will probably have to be my last new motorcycle.

Love my current Vee, it has about 42,000 miles on it. My question is should I buy a new '12 Wee or Vee or just keep the '07?

My plans are to ride, a lot so reliability is a primary concern and initial thinking would seem to indicate I would be ahead to buy new. Anyone face a similar issue? Since my wife bailed on me, I don't think I need the extra power and space the Vee gives me.

Your thoughts?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Get the new one, we need you to fund Suzuki's R&D on the DL1250AXVT.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Get the new one, we need you to fund Suzuki's R&D on the DL1250AXVT.
Like to see a picture of that 'Adventure Cross Variable Transmission' behemoth.

John - go for the 2012 Wee. I wish I could wear out my '07 Wee faster!:headbang:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like a darn good scenario for purchasing the new one.

I have a blue 2005 that I love, but it has fewer miles than yours and retirement is not in sight yet!

Go for it!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I had an 07 Vee with about 44K on the clock, my plan was to ride it another year or so, and get the new wee. A pickup truck knocked me off the Vee in September, totaled the bike , accelerating my plan, I put a deposit on the orange 2012 650, and am anxiously awaiting delivery. My wife doesn't ride much with me much anymore, never on overnight or longer trips, so power of the 650 will be fine, the added miles per gallon will be nice, and I really like the look, the new instrumentation, and the other subtle changes to the 2012 dl650. I could also be my last bike, or second, or third to last..... I usually only put about 50K on em, then trade.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
42,000 is relatively new.

My 650 has 71,000 miles on it, and has been totally reliable.
I would expect your 1000 to continue providing great service
for many miles and years yet. On the other hand, a new bike
would be a dandy thrill and bring you lots of smiles for a long time,

So you will be a winner whether you keep or trade your Vee.
In a quandary like yours, I sometimes flip a coin. I do not go by
the way the coin actually lands, but rather by how I feel about
the way the coin lands. This does not always work.

Good luck with your choice.
Keith

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Take the money you were going to put to the new bike and make it work for you. It does not need to be a risky investment but one that work and keep riding your old bike. Both of the Stroms are bullet proof. Then in a year or twos time you can buy a nice used one with 1000 miles on the clock for a whole lot less then it would have cost you to roll it off of the dealers floor. Or you just may be happy waiting for your other bike to fail and have a nice savings sitting in waiting for you to spend on your next bike. You really do have at least another 100000 miles without much in worries.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Mr. Faulkner and Mr. Xxcess are wise beyond their years, whatever they may be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take the money you were going to put to the new bike and make it work for you. It does not need to be a risky investment but one that work and keep riding your old bike. Both of the Stroms are bullet proof. Then in a year or twos time you can buy a nice used one with 1000 miles on the clock for a whole lot less then it would have cost you to roll it off of the dealers floor. Or you just may be happy waiting for your other bike to fail and have a nice savings sitting in waiting for you to spend on your next bike. You really do have at least another 100000 miles without much in worries.
+1 Exactly what he said.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Irish John,

You indicate that you have costs constraints with your upcoming retirement. With that in mind, I would vote to keep your current ride or, if you are concerned about the miles, then shop for another used bike. Give the retirement a year or so, and then re-evaluate. Perhaps, once you see how the budget sits, you'll be shopping for the new bike.

Now on the other hand, if it were just a question of whether to spend the cash to get the snazzy new bike and whether it is worth the trade cost, then that is a whole different conversation that MANY of us are debating.

Whichever you decide, there is not a wrong answer. It's great to hop back on the current ride because it's all figured out and comfortable, etc. BUT- it's hard to hold back the smiles when there is a new bike in the garage. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Since no one can make a decision for you, the trick is to find what you really want.

Flip a coin. When the result appears, check whether your immediate feeling is relief or disappointment. If relieved, go with the result. If disappointed, do the opposite. If you are so out of touch with your feelings you don't notice a difference do the following.

Tie a two foot piece of string to paper clip. Assign a circle to a new bike and a line to keeping the old bike. Hold the end of the line opposite the paper clip with your fingers in front of you at eye level. In a little while, the clip will begin swaying in a circular or linear pattern indicating your true feelings.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Ride the wheels off your present bike. When it is worn out, if you're still under 90, buy a great used future version of the bike that best suits you. Ride your Vee as long as it keeps putting a smile on your face. I've known near-retirees who bought new stuff that they really didn't need to replace at that time. It did not pencil out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
As one who retired recently, I decided to keep the current the Wee with just under 60,000 miles on. I am, however, cheap.

Having said that, my plan is to wait until my current Wee's maintenance and upkeep will start being prohibitive and then find another used DL with under (an arbitrarily determined) 20,000 miles on it and buy it.

Because I don't know have a clear handle on the 2012 DL650's reliability versus up to the 2011 ... if I was going to buy a new (or near new) Wee I would go ahead and get a 2011 or earlier. Resale isn't going to be a big factor but KNOWN reliability is. Thus my cautious take on what to buy.

Truthfully, I don't anticipate problems with the new 2012. But since (if I was buying again today) the reliability of the earlier models is so well known ... I would go that way.

By the way Greywolf, I like your reference to the old Kreskin game.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's input. Good advice. After all considerations, I am going to keep riding Old Blue for at least a couple more years.

Oh and Greywolf, the method you describe, I thought that what midwives used to determine the sex of a baby. :)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I want to buy what will probably have to be my last new motorcycle.
Love my current Vee, it has about 42,000 miles on it. My question is should I buy a new '12 Wee or Vee or just keep the '07?
You neglected to say how old you are. It's quite possible your current bike will outlast you, or at least your riding years. (I can say this because I am also of...ahem...mature years.):mrgreen:

But there is another consideration: I have an '07 and am thinking it might very well be my last bike 'cause nothing out there right now really makes me lust after it. However, there is always the possibility that some REALLY WONDERFUL, impossible-to-resist new model may come along sometime. I can't see much of a step-up from an '07 to a '12 Wee, but maybe in another year Suz will offer an 800 with fabulous new features. Or Honda will enter the "adventure tourer" segment with some great leap forward in technology. Then you'll be sorry to be stuck with that underpowered, obsolete and antiquated '12.

I like to keep my options open.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Take a nice picture of your current one, trade it for a new one and don't look back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you'll never be sorry............TD :cheers2:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Future Shock Future Shock

First I am pessimistic of the future by nature but in addition none of the current trends augers well. Unless your retirement contains a significant COLA and is in an ironclad place you just don't know what is ahead.

2nd Your bikes value has asymptoted so it really will be worth the same next year with another 10K. So no harm no foul.

3rd This decision can be done at anytime so relax and let it warm over you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts