StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to motorcycling having just started riding at the start of 2014. I immediately bought a 2001 DRZ400SM which has been a blast to learn on. It was tough keeping up with my friends on day trips though (range, power, and comfort) so I knew I would eventually have to upgrade. Most of my riding has been around town or trips up/down HWY-1 on the coast.

I was in Monterey over the last weekend and couldn't pass up the price and 0% finance on a 2014 V-Strom 1000 so brought it home with me. My odometer just hit 112 miles when I got back to the office from lunch today so I haven't logged a lot of time on it yet but am really enjoying it.

It seems like it lurches quite a bit when I am at lower speeds or from a stop. I am not sure how much of that is just from me having to adjust to a new bike as a new rider or it being a factor of the way the bike operates. When I searched this topic it seems like each person asked gives a different opinion. I'll just keep an eye on it as I ride it more.

Looking forward to many miles on this bike as well as getting some mileage from this forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Send Richland Rick an email about your problem. His seems to run well but I haven't ridden the bike myself. He knows just about everything about the new Vees. Also, Greywolf is very knowledgeable. You may need to get your ECU flashed to give it a little richer fuel mixture at low speed. It was a common problem with older Vees. Bobby

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
It seems like it lurches quite a bit when I am at lower speeds or from a stop. I am not sure how much of that is just from me having to adjust to a new bike as a new rider or it being a factor of the way the bike operates.
probably both. i know it took me a while to get used to the DL1's long legs. especially the 6th gear OverDrive. something you can try that is ez and wont cost you a dime. simply run it at around or above 4k rpm's. most of the problems will go away. if 4k rpm's is to fast (mph) simply run in a lower trannie gear for desired speed.

-----------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
probably both. i know it took me a while to get used to the DL1's long legs. especially the 6th gear OverDrive. something you can try that is ez and wont cost you a dime. simply run it at around or above 4k rpm's. most of the problems will go away. if 4k rpm's is to fast (mph) simply run in a lower trannie gear for desired speed.

-----------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly
JR makes a good point. Initially, I geared my Vee down so it ran above 4000 rpm on the highway more of the time. I could have used 5th but it rubbed me the wrong way. Now I don't need it running a little higher rpm but the acceleration is good that way. Now I have it tweaked it so it runs well at all rpms. I still get well over 40 mpg.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The DL1000 has long gears (high gear ratios) compared to the DL650. This is because it has 50% more power. So 1st gear is like 1st and 2nd on a less powerful bike. I suggest you ride it at 3000 rpm and up. At 2000 rpm it may hiccup. I find it hard to turn a street corner in 2nd gear. For the 650 this was natural.

What happens is that you have a high HP bike (95 to 100+ hp depending on who you believe) with two big bore cylinders and pistons with a relatively short stroke. Instead of a smooth 4 cylinder bike. Personally I prefer the simplicity of a 90 degree V twin. The maximum torque is at 4000 rpm but it stays more or less flat until around 7000 rpm. At 4000 rpm the bike is explosive.

The hydraulic clutch is short and "up there". Race like. I have adjusted to this. And at 1000 miles it runs smoother. Or I am riding smoother.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcoming comments and the advice/tips. I'll keep it all in mind as I am getting used to the bike.

bobbyvstrom: no relation to Bob Mahr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.