StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2009 V-strom for about a month now and the bike makes a "clunk sound when I hit sharp bumps in the road, is this normal. Its kind of a clunk/thud type of a sound. Could the steering head bearings be loose at this point?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I hate the saying "they all do it"..............but.......it's normal. Obnoxious..but normal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Probably not your issue, but one thing that produces a similar sound is if the brake rotor buttons are 'shedding' the wave washers on the backside of the disk. The disc then becomes a 'full-floater' instead of a semi-floater and clunks on most sharp bumps. I've heard of it on several gixxers and seen it on my personal DL1k.

Bob

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't seem to have the clunk in the front end...but I do have the front preload at about the middle ring.
Perhaps with no preload, the spring "bounces" off the endcap/spacer inside the fork and makes the clunck...just a guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Probably not your issue, but one thing that produces a similar sound is if the brake rotor buttons are 'shedding' the wave washers on the backside of the disk. The disc then becomes a 'full-floater' instead of a semi-floater and clunks on most sharp bumps. I've heard of it on several gixxers and seen it on my personal DL1k.

Bob
I have noticed this on my bike as well. All of my other bikes have had solid rotors. By jiggling the rotor around by hand you can get it to make a slight clunking sound.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Mine had the clunk when new, installed Sonic springs and it didn't help.

Changed fork oil a few weeks ago and the clunk completely went away. I have no idea why or what changed, it used slightly heavier oil and the same amount.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I can't say they all do it, but it is REAL common and not a problem, just a feature. No one has really found out why. Lots of theories, but no solid explanation. It actually started with the SV650s, which do it too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I also have a "clunk" sound on my VTX1300R, have changed out the neck bearings, new fork springs and fluid (but this was for the front end "wobble", not the "clunk"). I think that the front end "clunk" it can be a commonality with many bikes.

Just for the record, my DL650 does not have the "clunk".

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have noticed this on my bike as well. All of my other bikes have had solid rotors. By jiggling the rotor around by hand you can get it to make a slight clunking sound.
Take a good hard look at the backside of that rotor, there should be a smaller flat washer and a larger, thin wave washer on each button. The thin wave washer may be breaking and falling apart, creating extra slop between the rotor and carrier both side to side and vertically. This extra movement can cause other wave washers to break/disintegrate, creating more slop (or float). I've heard some racers do this on purpose to lessen brake drag on stock rotors.
If a few of those washers are gone, movement can seem excessive, and I had to choose between two options - replace rotors (easier to find sv1000 rotors also fit) and replace the button/washer assembly with Spiegler full floating buttons, about $8 ea. I'm in the process of installing new buttons on one of my rotors, need to grind off a couple more to finish.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I declunkified mine with Sonic Springs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts