StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning
I have been looking at the new adventure bikes on the market, BMW, Yamaha, KTM, and the Suzuki.
All of the Suzuki owners I have talked to love their V-Strom.
I will be riding 90% on the road and 10% in the dirt.
Has anyone had an issue with the oil filter being so vulnerable?

Thank you for your comments in advance
Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
not at all WITHOUT a skid plate...
I don't do much off-roading other than the occasional gravel road at lower-ish speeds.

·
Registered
615 Posts
With a skid-plate, no probs. Without a skid-plate, one stray rock while doing your 10% dirt riding will stuff your whole day

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
no issues at all without a skid plate

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel - yes I agree a holed filter or Radiator will ruin your whole day!! :( In "typical forum style" - though not suggesting it happens here, "I hav'nt tried this myself....But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??

Reactions: OzCrow

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??
A capital idea! If the oil filter was the primary worry driving skid plate purchase, this would be much simpler and cheap. Surprised there's not a commercial product available. That and a radiator guard and you'd be set.

Reactions: We2V2

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel...
Good point.
I may be wrong, but I think you'd have to be doing some pretty hard-core dirt-riding to have a rock hit your filter so hard to cause debilitating damage; and if that's the type of riding you plan on doing, then I agree, a good skid plate is advisable.

Personally, I'm too much of a chicken to take a 500+ lb. bike through road conditions rough enough to trash my filter...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would be interested to know how many DL oil filters have been punctured by stray rocks/gravel - yes I agree a holed filter or Radiator will ruin your whole day!! :( In "typical forum style" - though not suggesting it happens here, "I hav'nt tried this myself....But you could try cutting down a rubber stubbie cooler - the type made out of thick wet suit type material and jamming it over the filter? this would soften the impact from stray debris and might be enough to make a possible tear into a dent" ??
I like the way you think, but would it melt on to the filter? Purely from an aesthetic point of view, I reckon the 'Stroms look 'unfinished' without the bashplate

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
On the second day of a ride to Baja we took the dirt road to Coco's corner. The Strom 650 rider in our group did not have a skid plate and took a rock to his oil filter ending his ride. He had to be trucked to the nearest town...and to make a long story short that was the end of his Mexico ride.

When I bought my last strom I knew it would be a couple weeks before I could get a skid plate so I attached a small piece of carpet with a radiator hose clamp to the underside of the oil filter. That got me home (4,000 miles) with no issues.

I would not ride my strom any farther than necessary without a skid plate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like the way you think, but would it melt on to the filter? Purely from an aesthetic point of view, I reckon the 'Stroms look 'unfinished' without the bashplate
I would be dissapointed if the material melted at the engine temp of 90-100 degrees C. I reckon with the long guard of the V2 and the usually reduced speeds on dirt (for 90-10 riders) as per the OP (and I) that the chance of an oil filter failure is far less than that of a tyre puncture.A rad failure on the bitumen would be more likely. Having had 3 SV's I am used to the exposed look of the engine underside but agree the bike looks WAY better with something to balance out the bulbous upper ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will likely buy a "real" bash plate sometime in the future when I finish a lot of much more wanted mods.

In the meanwhile I got a great deal on a OEM chin spoiler that is standard on the adventure model from a guy who did get a proper bash plate. If you can find a deal on one I think it will keep small road debris from hitting your filter or anything else at full force.

Is this real protection? No, but maybe a little "insurance" and it looks cool too. I'll bet it is at least as good as a "filter sock" although that isn't a terrible idea.

All of this said the filter is metal, sure you can go wild off road and maybe knock the hell out of it (I have a DR for that), but what are the chances of a rock actually puncturing a metal filter? I'm guessing it isn't going to happen.

·
Administrator
13,820 Posts
Here's a tread/poll I did a while back:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general...-has-anything-damaged-your-filter-engine.html

..Tom

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
And then there are the guys who put a soup can and magnet over the filter for protection. Tomato, I think. Maybe chicken noodle. Seems to work OK.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm not so much worried about rocks piercing the filter, more so repeated hits deforming the filter and allowing oil to bypass the o-ring seal. Only one place the oil will go from there and that's under the back tyre. I know the possibility is negligible, but the bashplate gives me one less thing to think about off road.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think the chin spoiler plastic piece is a reasonable solution for a 90/10 bike. It should deflect the rocks well enough to preserve the oil filter.

What I do like about a skid plate and center stand combo is that you can used the skid plate as a lifting point to get the front tire off the ground for removing the front wheel. Doesn't take a ton of lifting force to do that, so a decently strong plate is plenty stout for that.

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
I'm not so much worried about rocks piercing the filter, more so repeated hits deforming the filter and allowing oil to bypass the o-ring seal. Only one place the oil will go from there and that's under the back tyre. I know the possibility is negligible, but the bashplate gives me one less thing to think about off road.
This is how I think as well, one drop onto a sizeable log or rock, or front wheel falling into a deep pot hole, might be enough to jam the filter and break it off the engine case. I can't imagine that being a cheap fix, but the chances of this happening are very remote.

My skid plate has taken some big hits on gravel/rocky roads though, and this includes riding through road improvement areas which is something that occurs everywhere even if you try to stick to pavement.

·
Registered
729 Posts
This is how I think as well, one drop onto a sizeable log or rock, or front wheel falling into a deep pot hole, might be enough to jam the filter and break it off the engine case. I can't imagine that being a cheap fix, but the chances of this happening are very remote.

My skid plate has taken some big hits on gravel/rocky roads though, and this includes riding through road improvement areas which is something that occurs everywhere even if you try to stick to pavement.
Here's a good example of what one good drop on a rock or something can do. Go to about 4:10 on this video and watch the lifeblood bleeding out of a Yamaha Super Tenere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umHWLA8X2ik

Henry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts