StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 V-Strom 1000 Pre-purchase Questions

I purchased a new V-Strom 650 last summer (unsold new 2015 model) and really like the bike but want more power. I am seriously considering a new 1000XT model for the yellow but the white bike with cast wheels looks cool as well.

In prior years, it seemed to be a chore to add side cases to a V-Strom which is one reason I went with the 650XT. That bike came with SW Motech cases and I was able to add the top case and use the key the bike came with.

1) So if I buy a new 1000 I'd like to get Givi cases as they have a much larger locking mechanism though in the real world that may not mean much. Has anyone added these cases to a new 1000? Did you have to drill much to mount them on the bike?

Tried to create only one thread. If a mod wants to take the responses below and merge with my pre-purchase question thread that would be ideal.

NC

·
Registered
457 Posts
Numbercruncher,

I bought my 2018 yellow 1000 XT a couple of months ago, straight out without a trade. I paid $9999 plus sales tax, license fee, and maybe $20 document fee. The key to shoot the price at your dealer first before you ask for his best price. Ask/tell him, "I've heard other guys bought at this price. Can you make any money selling one for that?" and see what he says. If he won't take your offer, you can always tell him you need to go home and ponder, and leave him your tel number.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Numbercruncher,

I bought my 2018 yellow 1000 XT a couple of months ago, straight out without a trade. I paid $9999 plus sales tax, license fee, and maybe $20 document fee. The key to shoot the price at your dealer first before you ask for his best price. Ask/tell him, "I've heard other guys bought at this price. Can you make any money selling one for that?" and see what he says. If he won't take your offer, you can always tell him you need to go home and ponder, and leave him your tel number.
Do you have a build thread? Curious what all you added to your bike.

NC

·
Registered
457 Posts
NC,
I have these accessories either on order or already at my house- Shad SH48 top case w/ backrest, Shad SH23 side cases, Givi crash bars, OEM center stand, Puig windshield, footpeg lowering kit, and SW Moto Engage tank bag. I plan to build a passenger peg lowering kit sometime this spring. And, I probably will need to add a stiffer spring for the rear suspension because I often ride two up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Bazooka Joe,

I'm considering the Givi V35 side cases and one of their top cases (not sure which yet), but I'm not sure if they'll install on the Vee 1000 XT. Did you look into / consider these when you made the decision to go with with the Shad cases? Any idea what the build quality of the Shad vs the Givi are? Any issues with the install? Have pictures of your bike with / without cases you could share?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice HB9400!

May I ask which mounting hardware you used? Any issues installing it on your Vee?

Which top case did you put on?

Are the 3 locks that come with the bike compatible with the Givi cases?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used the Kappa KLXR3114 racks. Bought them from Tour And Ride website. Givi sells their products under the Kappa label as they are interchangeable. The install was simple to do. I use a Givi V46 top box most of the time but I also have a larger Kappa top box. I didn't use the 3 locks that came with the bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
DakotaKid-

I have the Shad SH48 top case and SH23 side cases. The SH23 cases are smaller than what you're looking at, so maybe not relevant to your decision. here are some pictures though.

On my previous bike (05 650) I had the Givi system with E21 side cases. The Givi racks seemed to be semi-contraption at first glance, but the Givi parts are lighter weight and actually quite sturdy. The Shad 3P system is much more tidy, but it's heavier than it should be and doesn't seem as sturdy b/c it lacks a cross brace to connect the RH & LH parts together. For attaching the side cases to the rack, the Givi is sort of dicey- the top "hook" wasn't the most secure and one side didn't latch securely without special attention. The Shad 3P is more positive.

The cases themselves... The Shad top case latch system can be opened without a key and that was important to my decision. Also, this particular Shad top case can be fitted with a two piece backrest which my wife gives two thumbs up. Most top cases are either a single backrest pad or no pad at all. The side cases are more sturdy than the similar size Givis.
My side cases (which are smaller than you want) have a very good top latch.

Also, note the ride height of the cases. On our newer gen DL1000s, the cases will be mounted higher because of the low-mounted muffler. From what I could tell, the top surface of the Shad side cases are lower than the Givi would have been (in comparison to the top of the seat).

Hope all this helps.

Btw, Check with Richlandrick and see if he can set you up with your parts.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts