StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you all threaten to kill me, this is 1986 KLR650 compared to 2011 KLR650, not a comparison to the Wee.
:new_shitsmiley:

Well I had an early finish at work today so.........

I went and test rode a new KLR650.

Compared to the old one I just bought there is not a lot of difference [considering the two bikes are 25 years apart in age].

The seat seems a little lower and is more comfortable.

Headlight and dash is better [but still no bloody clock :headbang: can't afford to get pinged speeding through school zones].

Handlebars are better, my arms are more comfortably extended compared to the 86 [more like the Wee].

Road handling is much the same on both bikes, ok up to about 120kph [presumably both will handle much the same on the dirt as well].

Vibration seems reduced but I put this down to the different bars and the fact that the new bike has bar end weights [I've got heavy weights for the 86 but don't have the bolts and rubber inserts that go with them].

The refinements are not obvious at first but they are definitely an improvement over the old model.

Now I'm starting to think- should I trade the old 86 KLR as well as the Wee on a new KLR :bom_rolleyes2:

The Mrs. would probably kill me :mod2_2guns:

I enjoyed getting back in to the bush the other weekend on the KLR after many decades of not having done it.
Packed for camping would be a blast, along with the ability to get to places further away along the highways and still heading off tar once there.

I absolutely love my Wee though, it is a fantastic bike- just not as capable once it gets to single track, although it really hauls well for the long distance stuff.

So......

Wee :var_45: KLR

I wonder if I can get the Wee motor/gearbox in to the KLR frame, Wee seat/dash/headlights [without all the extra fairing and plastic bits], KLR suspension and wheels :confused::confused:

Ok, I will crawl away and hide now.
Please be nice to me. :var_6:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Off with his head! :biggrinjester: Sounds like you are among the legions of us searching for the ultimate dual sporter. If I were seeking to add to the stable would probably at least test ride a Zuk DR650 and the Honda XR. Tons of others out there as well depending on how deep your pockets are. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
First thought this to be yet another old/ new WEE thread

I went and test rode a new KLR650.
...and now you've got a problem!
A real problem :mrgreen:

Compared to the old one I just bought there is not a lot of difference [considering the two bikes are 25 years apart in age].
Yes, there are LOTS of differences....otherwise this topic wouldn't exist :green_lol:
Seriously...there are, and plenty of them. Run 'em side-by-side for a week of road+gravel touring and you'll know.

[but still no bloody clock :headbang: can't afford to get pinged speeding through school zones].
You need a clock to time yourself to get the speed through schoolzones? :biggrinjester:

Road handling is much the same on both bikes, ok up to about 120kph [presumably both will handle much the same on the dirt as well].

Vibration seems reduced but I put this down to the different bars and the fact that the new bike has bar end weights.
No, the newer donk actually IS a hell of a lot smoother.

I enjoyed getting back in to the bush the other weekend on the KLR after many decades of not having done it.
Packed for camping would be a blast, along with the ability to get to places further away along the highways and still heading off tar once there.
It's the old dilemma, isn't it?
We all dream of the long trips but can't make the time in most cases.
Finishing up with the shorter stuff, the "dream-bike" becomes too much, too heavy, too awkward or simply just not right kit in some way for the little time left to enjoy.

I wonder if I can get the Wee motor/gearbox in to the KLR frame, Wee seat/dash/headlights [without all the extra fairing and plastic bits], KLR suspension and wheels
Not with the WEE donk... but there are a few builts on ADV from folks slotting the ER6/ Versys 650parallel-twin into a modded KLR frame.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very shallow and empty pockets, which is why I could only afford a 25 year old KLR to learn more dirt skills.

I almost think I should be looking at 650 Tenere/XT type of thing, more off road capable while still able to reach 160/180kph (not that I ride that fast but handy for safe highway truck passes).

The Wee fits me so well and is top value, it would be hard to replace it.

No one bike will ever be perfect for what I want to do. :fineprint:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Very shallow and empty pockets, which is why I could only afford a 25 year old KLR to learn more dirt skills.

I almost think I should be looking at 650 Tenere/XT type of thing, more off road capable while still able to reach 160/180kph (not that I ride that fast but handy for safe highway truck passes).

The Wee fits me so well and is top value, it would be hard to replace it.

No one bike will ever be perfect for what I want to do. :fineprint:
Surprisingly the XT 660 isn't that much better than a Wee. Yes, it has more ground clearance, 21" spoked wheel - but it's still a heavy pig when it gets gnarly. The Wee with it's extra power and near impossible to stall engine almost makes up for the extra weight and longer turning circle.

If you want decent road speed and much better off road performance you need to head for the more exotic (and much more spendy , higher maintenance) bikes - KTM 530, Husqvarna and the like.

Pete

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A couple of my mates in the USA have KLR 650 the newer ones are a pain in the .... with ring problems that they both burnt oil from near new Kawasaki did repair them.
One of these blokes has racked up over 100,000 miles on a few KLR 650 so its not him but the bike with the problem .

My advice stick with the old KLR get about a year on it then decide

You can never just stick with one bike ,it's like having just one spaner

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of my mates in the USA have KLR 650 the newer ones are a pain in the .... with ring problems that they both burnt oil from near new Kawasaki did repair them.
One of these blokes has racked up over 100,000 miles on a few KLR 650 so its not him but the bike with the problem .

My advice stick with the old KLR get about a year on it then decide

You can never just stick with one bike ,it's like having just one spaner
The oil problem is mentioned on the KLR forum and is primarily put down to bores going out of round [among other things].

I think a new KLR is back off the list if I go to one bike again, in the mean time I will hack around on the old KLR for bush rides and the Wee for everything else.
If I can get the clutch lighter, change the handlebars and add some frames to keep the throw over bags off the exhaust [oh yes, and put a quieter muffler on the :furious: thing], a couple of decent driving lights, then I will have a dirt worthy toy for some local rides and "within state" camping trips.
And I've already noted it does seem to use a little oil, I will play around with different brands to see if anything improves it [Valvoline, you know what I mean. :green_lol: ].

Looking at possible replacement bikes keeps my mind occupied [I need that] and annoys the shit out of the Mrs. [I shouldn't really do that].

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
and annoys the shit out of the Mrs. [I shouldn't really do that].

You KNOW that is not a good idea !!!!!!!

I do not think you want to meet Loraine Bobit

·
Registered
608 Posts
Good musings there, Ocker.

Another reason the Strom is so good - tubeless tires. Yeah, baby, yeah.

When did you last get a puncture on the Strom? I've never had one yet. Lucky perhaps.

Was on a ride last year and 4 of the Teneres had flats, on an afternoon ride. And with spoked wheels a flat means taking the wheel out, new tube etc.

At least with the tubeless if I ever do get a puncture it's just a matter of plug 'n pump then ride on.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Good musings there, Ocker.

Another reason the Strom is so good - tubeless tires. Yeah, baby, yeah.

When did you last get a puncture on the Strom? I've never had one yet. Lucky perhaps.

Was on a ride last year and 4 of the Teneres had flats, on an afternoon ride. And with spoked wheels a flat means taking the wheel out, new tube etc.

At least with the tubeless if I ever do get a puncture it's just a matter of plug 'n pump then ride on.
Got one Saturday bouncing around the dirt roads between Canungra and Beaudesert, found it Sunday when I noticed it took real effort to roll the bike out of the garage - started tugging with a set of pliers and 30 seconds later a 3" length of stainless steel wire was extracted form between the tread blocks - HTF did that get there ?

10 minutes later, plugged and ready to run. I'll admit it's nicer fixing them in a the garage ;), but the difference in effort to tubes is well worth the disadvantages of the DL rims.

Pete

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the results are in.

No way I could do 800-1000km days on a KLR.:fineprint:

I'm managing on the dirt ok [did another ride today], up to a point.:headbang:

So a KLR would be limited to maybe 300-500km in a day for me, maybe.

And considering all the known problems, yes they are cheap, but I'm not sure they are good value.

Like many on this forum, and the KLR forum as well, the choice would be to run the two bikes [they really don't fit in the same category of use].

Why the KLR forum guys say they can do 800 mile plus days at 70-80 MPH beats me, they are either masochists or bloody mad. :argue:

A weekend away in the bush loaded with camping gear would be good on one, but no cross country road trips for me thank you very much.

I will keep wandering around in the bush while I improve my dirt skills some more [the joys of living so close to the Blue Mountains].:thumbup:

Now, about that Tenere xt660z.................:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I'd keep the old KLR, change out the fork oil for some fresh stuff, change out the brake fluid for fresh, a clean & smooth new clutch cable, slap on some new aggressive rubber, new h-bar/grips, and call it a day. It's amazing what a few new parts, at the points of rider contact, can do to rejuvenate an old bike Seems like if you put a little effort into freshening up your old n' scratchy KLR, you might be right where you wanted to be all along.....and you won't feel that bad bout letting her fall over here, and there, on your dirt adventures.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
2nd bike?

I'm considering a second bike for the tougher trails. At the moment the top of my list is the DR250Z. These are cheap new even cheaper second hand. As long as it will sit on the speed limit for short transport stages between the rough bits. Has anyone on the forum experience with the DR250? It seems the design hasn't changed for years so mileage rather than age will probably narrow down the choice.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
One of my bike magazines had a piece where a guy fitted the 600 Ninja Motor into a KLR frame... I figured too much time on his hands, but who knows, maybe he liked Kawasaki's???

I will give you credit, for what is pretty much a Troll posting, you put some effort into it.

KLR indeed..... sheesh.....

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't know about stuffing a DL650 engine into a KLR, but I'm still surprised the tasty Versys engine isn't in a more KLRish package.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm considering a second bike for the tougher trails. At the moment the top of my list is the DR250Z. These are cheap new even cheaper second hand. As long as it will sit on the speed limit for short transport stages between the rough bits. Has anyone on the forum experience with the DR250? It seems the design hasn't changed for years so mileage rather than age will probably narrow down the choice.
Can't help you directly, but I rode around most of NZ on a TS-185, around 1/2 the power of the DRZ. Top speed, with a good run up and preferably downhill 127kph indicated.

Distances are a effectively a lot less there, you can easily ride from one end to the other of either island in NZ in a day but I prefer the DL I have now for OZ. Where you can ride all day and see bugger all ;) - in a relative sense anyway .

It's more mental than physical - you aren't going to be passing as much and on the long hauls you need to be comfortable. I used to wear a framed backpack and let the straps down so it'd rest on the seat behind and it made life very comfortable ;). If you are thrashing the bike or being beaten to death by wind it's because you are in too much of a hurry - that's likely the only problem you'll have.

Pete

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd keep the old KLR, change out the fork oil for some fresh stuff, change out the brake fluid for fresh, a clean & smooth new clutch cable, slap on some new aggressive rubber, new h-bar/grips, and call it a day. It's amazing what a few new parts, at the points of rider contact, can do to rejuvenate an old bike Seems like if you put a little effort into freshening up your old n' scratchy KLR, you might be right where you wanted to be all along.....and you won't feel that bad bout letting her fall over here, and there, on your dirt adventures.
I will be keeping it for a while and have already replaced the handle bars with a new lower- less swept back pair, I have a new clutch cable waiting for the chance to fit it, Dunlop 605 or 606 [or similar] will be on the list when I get a chance to look at a few brands/types.

One of my bike magazines had a piece where a guy fitted the 600 Ninja Motor into a KLR frame... I figured too much time on his hands, but who knows, maybe he liked Kawasaki's???

I will give you credit, for what is pretty much a Troll posting, you put some effort into it.

KLR indeed..... sheesh.....
I'm out of touch with bike changes in the last 15 years, trying to fill the gaps [I had a ten year break from riding in there as well].

Sorry if you consider me trying to increase my knowledge of current bike options Trolling.:embarassed:

Giving my feedback and what I'm looking to achieve in bike options to a very broad base of knowledgeable rider/owners makes up for the fact that I don't have a bucket of money to throw at buying bikes just to see if they will do what I want.

Yes, I agree "KLR indeed..... sheesh".
But it was the best I could find for the money I had..... $1250 with three months rego- running fairly well and in reasonable condition [bikes in the USA and elsewhere generally seem cheaper than we have here in Oz. :confused:].
When my skills improve I will still be able to re-sell it for the same money [if I drop it I can patch it up cheap too].

And at the end of it all I may well want something more dirt capable, but still good for 1000km days on two week interstate road trips, than the Wee- with feedback and my current use of the old KLR I have ruled them out as my "one bike in the garage" option.
The Tenere 660 is also a bike of interest, hence the ongoing run of this [my original] thread.

I hadn't thought of a transplant in to the old KLR.... but maybe a nice air cooled 500cc to 750cc six speed engine/gearbox dropped in would work.
Non computerised, carbies not injected.

Sorry if I've bugged you with my thread and posts/queries.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm going to drop a 351 in a postie,pro taper bars,braided lines and some brakes and I'll give ya dirt,and what's more I'll do 3 states in an hour and a half.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to drop a 351 in a postie,pro taper bars,braided lines and some brakes and I'll give ya dirt,and what's more I'll do 3 states in an hour and a half.:biggrinjester:
Na, yer too late, it's been done already [and yer only gunna do half the job anyway]. :fineprint:

When I was doing my first/second year of my apprenticeship I sprayed the frame and tank on a bike called "Panic".

Two V8 engines, direct drive to the rear wheel, no clutch, rock it off the stand and gooooooooo :jawdrop:

It was used for a very short time for demo runs [at Calder Raceway, I think].

Watched it run up and down a back street in Ringwood late one night, the cops came up the street looking for it about ten minutes after we pushed it back in to the signwriting workshop I used to work at. :yikes:

They came in and talked to us but didn't find it [we hid it behind some big signs we were doing]. :green_lol::green_lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts