StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I'm doing a fly/drive to pick up a used 2012 650V-Strom. Although I previously owned a 2007, I sold that last year(mistake), I am making amends and getting the updated version this time. My local stealer doesn't have one in stock and doesn't seem to be too interested in getting another one. (He's selling 4 wheelers like hot cakes) So I don't know about some of the changes made. It already has a nice brand new Mayer seat. I know the new version still lacks a skid plate. What I don't know is will I need to buy a centerstand, fork brace and handguards also. These are things I've just got to have. Did they update the suspension good enough that it doesn't need the fork brace. How does the new bike handle the cross winds?

Really looking forward to having the V-strom again. My old bones just will not tolerate a sport bike or a cruiser. I found that out. My WR250R is great for short trips, but over 200 miles, is a no go.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Centerstand, fork brace and handguards are all extras on 650s and the later models get the same benefits from a fork brace as the older ones. Spring rates and damping are better, but the ability to withstand twisting forces is unchanged.

·
Registered
824 Posts
ditto to what greywolf said.
Look hard at the SW Motech centerstand-top quality product as are the engine guards. A centerstand is almost a must have in my opinion. I made my own skidplate so no help there. Do a search here for info on that.
The plastic factory handguards are fine unless you will spend a lot of time off road, then you may need heavier.
Good job scoring one with a nice seat!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts