StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driving experience but my first bike in USA. Want to get a pre-owned bike, have it for couple of years, learn about it and upgrade later. I test drove a couple of V Stroms DL1000 - 2004 and 2007 are wonderful. Need help in choosing one:

#2004 model: 43,000 Miles (3000$) " "
Tires, front is TKC80, rear is TKC70.
Power Commander 3 with dual Leo Vince slip ons.
Heated grips and heated jacket plug.
Center Stand
Hard Cases
Cons: I head knocking or hammering sound during the idle and no professional maintenance noticed

#2007 Model: 29,700 Miles - stock model (4000$) "
Center stand
Side Cases and Top Case
Cons: Not as strong as the 2004 - no PCV, owned by a 60year old and dont think he would have worked it hard.

Is the sound during idle common among the 2004 model and is there any fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would suggest going with a DL650 instead of 1000, especially if you intend to do any offroad. Smaller engine size but the engine and gearbox are so well matched that it is just as capable, if not more so, than the 1000. Of course I could be biased too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do a search on idle hammer or idle knock. The 1000's are prone to this due to the design of the clutch basket. There are a couple of people who will modify the basket for you and the sound is then gone forever.

Not sure of your motorcycling history but the for a first bike, I would tend to steer you towards the 650 as it will be a little more forgiving for a new rider. If you have been riding for years, get any size bike you like.

FYI - I have been riding for >20 years and have had several bikes. My 650 is now one of my absolute favorites. It will be my mistress for many years to come.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Get the bike you want, makes little difference what we think. But since you asked.......get the 650.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts