StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the original stock tires with a set of Tourances. I like the rear but now have a shutter in the front end when taking sweeping turns at speed. Nothing crazy but enough to notice and give me a bit of worry. Going straight no issues, steering is nice and smooth

Is this common with the Tourances or could it be an issue with tire balancing or installation?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a problem with a Tourance EXP on the front. Finally at the end of it's life and crazy wear pattern I realized it had been mounted backwards. Check the arrows on the side walls for proper direction of rotation. I have found Tourance to be a very high quality tire. But you can have problems with anything.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I recently replaced the original stock tires with a set of Tourances. I like the rear but now have a shutter in the front end when taking sweeping turns at speed. Nothing crazy but enough to notice and give me a bit of worry. Going straight no issues, steering is nice and smooth

Is this common with the Tourances or could it be an issue with tire balancing or installation?
I had exactly the same experience. Put on a set of Tourances and immediately had a front end wobble in the 35-40mph range. Most noticeable on decel but even at steady throttle leaned over in a turn at that speed (like an on-off ramp) you could feel the back and forth motion of the bars. HATED those tires. A set of Conti Attacks did the same thing. Now on Michelin PR3s, which are great.

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
First, welcome aboard! You might also want to chekc out the Canadian Forum as you might find some local riders there.

I went through four tourance's (non EXP) on the front of my DL650 and rather like them, but everyone's taste is different.

They are a rounder profile, which in my experience is a contributing factor to the front-end low speed wobble (which was cured on my 2006 DL650 by installing roller bearings.)

The tires gave me great confidence on that bike when combined with lowering the front of the bike/raising the forks about half an inch. I have put on the Tourace rear on my 2012 but the front is still stock and I can't wait to wear it down and get a Tourance there.

One other thing.. what model and year of bike? What tire pressures are you running? I like about 40psi front and 42 psi rear.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
My two sets of Tourances have given me great service, but they do that. It gets much worse as they age.

Bridgestone Battlewings have been much less wiggle-prone, but the biggest factor is steering head bearings. Keep 'em adjusted correctly; perhaps even a smidge firmer than the service manual says.

Tapered roller bearings for the head, by all accounts, are "the" solution. I will strongly consider switching to those if I ever need to replace them again.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Same here. I have about 2k on them now and they still feel jittery in corners. They are mounted correctly and I keep the psi at 36/38. There's no issue with it holding corners it just doesn't feel planted. However, the tire still looks really good. I was willing to give up a little feel for mileage.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Multiple sets of Tourance [originals, not EXP] have gone on the Wee now.

No issues, other than with the current set the front was not balanced properly.

If you have had two sets of different brand tyres fitted at the one place and both are giving problems then change your tyre fitting company. :fineprint:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My (tourances) shook on the Vee's front end also. I loved the rears but two different fronts had a wobble that got worse with mileage. I made the switch to anakee 2s now. I prefer them much better in the front. I hope the rear anakee lasts a long time though...the tourances sure did.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Front Tourances are often reported to cause wobble, Contis too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts