StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have just bought an 08 GT 1000 V-Strom, my first of the Adventure/Tourer, i leave an old fireblade behind, going to the track.

Is there anything i should be aware of, typical componant failure, bits that might fall off etc etc ?

Its an 08, Black, fully loaded, with 5000 miles on the clock, (yeah i know, good eh) :jawdrop::hurray:

I am in the UK Southampton by the way

·
Registered
664 Posts
Search "chudder" ... other than that, it's about as reliable as a stone ax. Oh, and the stock seat is horrible.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah second that...get a new seat ASAP if it's stock. I have an '07 and long rides require periodic stops for backside relief. :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I found my butt became used to the stock seat, left money for a quality skid plate, and some other off road specific farkles...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Chudder, seat and fueling. Not sure about fueling on the foreign bikes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah second that...get a new seat ASAP if it's stock. I have an '07 and long rides require periodic stops for backside relief. :)
I disagree. I loved the stock seat. Fit my rear end really well, the grain of salt being that the furthest I've ridden on it in one clip is about 400 miles, each way. Thousands of miles, I can't comment. But man, I loved that seat.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello all
I have just bought an 08 GT 1000 V-Strom, my first of the Adventure/Tourer, i leave an old fireblade behind, going to the track.

Is there anything i should be aware of, typical componant failure, bits that might fall off etc etc ?

Its an 08, Black, fully loaded, with 5000 miles on the clock, (yeah i know, good eh) :jawdrop::hurray:

I am in the UK Southampton by the way
Id say the biggest issue I had, as a new DL1000 owner myself, was the terrible wind buffeting off the stock windshield and really just an inconvenience, is the frequent chain oiling. Otherwise its been a strong and stable bike.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Chudder is an annoyance only, not a ride stopper.
Most Vees respond greatly to an engine EFI remap or fuel controller.
Some Vees have rear wheel alignment issues.
Some Vees shake their head from worn bearings.
I bet you are capable of figuring out the seat yourself.

The one thing to monitor is charging voltage. Some systems fail early, some late, some never. A lot of people run volt meters. I just checked mine routinely with a multi-meter when returning from rides and before every long trip. But, I concede a voltmeter on the bike is better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts