StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2012 V-strom 650 Adventure :thumbup: that is "new" from a dealer but with 1,000.00 miles on the odometer. The dealer loaned the brand new bike to a journalist from the NY Times for a feature on the V-strom Adventure, apparently. Journalist road bike for a couple of months and put the milage on it. Dealer is asking 8,999.00 (before tax/tag/title)--seems like a decent deal BUT I'm concerned that I have no idea how the "new" bike was ridden as pertaining to break in by the "tester." Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
A dealer in Oregon is doing the adventure model for $8999, I assume before the other fees. That is brand new....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, unfortunately, I live in the Baltimore/DC corridor where prices for everything are always high/higher/highest...:yikes: Most Adventure models in my neck of the weeds are selling for the $9,799.00 MSRP (money sucking rat pigs!).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Drive to Ct. I just paid $8800. plus tax for a new 0 miles 2012 ADV. and got the tall seat at cost. Plus all accessories for the rest of the riding season at 10% over dealer cost. :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't think I can finance out-of-state...
I live in Virginia and bought my Wee in West Virginia with no financing problems. I personally would avoid the "demo" bike at that price. Call Timmy at Romeny Cycles to see what kind of deal they can do for you. They are in West Virginia, but they made it more than worthwhile for me to go out there to get my new Wee. Romney, West Virginia, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Motorcycle, Scooter, ATV, Utility Vehicle, Dealer, Used, Parts, Service, Financing, Accessories 1-866-766-1495

Supposedly, they are the largest Suzuki dealer in the country. They were straight forward and easy to deal with and only charge a $50 doc fee, no delivery and setup (which could be up to $1000 at other dealers). I probably got the best deal of anyone on a new wee and I didn't even have to haggle at all to get taht deal.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
A vehicle is "new" until it is titled. I agree, $9k is too much for a loaner bike. Probably not broken in per book, and probably OK in spite of that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Offer $8k and settle on $8500. They expect you to haggle so try for some hard bags or other add ons thrown in as well. If they won't help you walk away.

I'd never pay close to what new bikes cost. I'd look for a leftover model or buy a used one for a substantial savings
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paid $10598 out the door in western Washington about one month ago. Black adv with the crash bars and bags. About 3 miles on the clock. 9k for a bike used 2 months in who knows what manner seems real steep to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check eBay. One in Pa listed at 8949 otd for an adventure. Another dealer has one for 8999. I am sure the journalist did not treat the bike the way you would. I would stay away from that one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Canadian dealer said he would knock off $100 for every 100km on the demo bike. At $300 off I passed not knowing what the last several riders did to the bike. That being said apparently yoru bike had only one rider which in my opinion is much better than several ringing the neck out of a new bike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My Canadian dealer said he would knock off $100 for every 100km on the demo bike. At $300 off I passed not knowing what the last several riders did to the bike. That being said apparently yoru bike had only one rider which in my opinion is much better than several ringing the neck out of a new bike.
Actually that is irrelevant; what is actually relevant however is how the bike was run-in from the beginning, and how it was maintained, regardless of how many people may have ridden it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took a chance--bought the bike. Put 100 miles on it in 2 days. So far so good. (Now I don't have to decide whether or not to "mototune" the machine or follow the manual...) Thanks for your input/advice to all who responded! :hurray:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Took a chance--bought the bike. Put 100 miles on it in 2 days. So far so good. (Now I don't have to decide whether or not to "mototune" the machine or follow the manual...) Thanks for your input/advice to all who responded! :hurray:
The most important things are, in no particular order...

Do not idle the bike anymore than you must. Don't just let it sit there idling.

Do not "lug" the engine at all. Don't keep it in a higher gear than necessary, letting the RPMs get too low. Operate the bike in it's midrange, with occasional trips higher up in the RPM range.

Very the RPMs and engine load consistently.

Many have also recommended changing the oil a few times during the break-in period to remove the additional metal particles that may be present during the break-in process.

These are the best tips I've come across and used myself with perfect results over the years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts