StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm new here. I currently own a 08 KLR 650 and considering the problems with it from new eg recalls for indicators with faulty rubber falling off, Balancer Chain Tensioner failure (aka Doohickey) & now starting to burn oil at 25,000Kms I considering seriously a 2011 650 Strom as it is not a lot heavier than a KLR.
Question do these bikes have problems I should be aware of as I don't want to shell out $$$ and have to spend more $$$ modifiying restricted engines, Doohickeys etc like the Australian KLR650 etc?

Honest replies much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Mano-Pause.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Mate, first off welcome to a great forum ,when you get your strom i am sure you will be pleased with it i think the new style stroms be on sale around september. I have had my 2010 since march ,my 650 wee only has 6,000 klms on it and i have had no dramas ,i have fitted an rjays top box,MTD pannier frames great for attaching a pair of dri rider pannier bags to,a 2 piece Corbin seat ,engine protection bars, bash plate, self made radiator guard ,OEM hand guards ,headlight protectors a set of driving lights mounted onto the engine bars, a pair of after market mirrors and a pair of bar end mirrors for extra rear vision ,so there are plenty of add ons available ,ride safe mate .Paul.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi Guys

I'm new here. I currently own a 08 KLR 650 and considering the problems with it from new eg recalls for indicators with faulty rubber falling off, Balancer Chain Tensioner failure (aka Doohickey) & now starting to burn oil at 25,000Kms I considering seriously a 2011 650 Strom as it is not a lot heavier than a KLR.
Question do these bikes have problems I should be aware of as I don't want to shell out $$$ and have to spend more $$$ modifiying restricted engines, Doohickeys etc like the Australian KLR650 etc?

Honest replies much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Mano-Pause.
Owning one each....

No doohickeys or any of that stuff for the WEEs (650s).

To be truthfull, only the first lot of late '07-to-mid '08 KLRs seem to have been affected by the problems you mentioned, the ovalling of the bores after rapid cylinder-cooldowns (like river-crossings) the most significant issue.
Got a mate with 3 bore+ top-end rebuilts under warranty (early '08 model).

Back to the Strom:
The only constant niggle on the DL is the lousy screen/ front-end shape which causes buffeting in many cases/ most users/ most helmets used etc etc.

There are fixes for it which seem to keep most (never all) happy.
If that issue is addressed by the coming WEE mk2, is still open.

And while the weights on paper might appear similar, the DL carries its weight significantly higher up than the KLR, making it a whole different game on dirt. Add to that a less dirt-worthy suspension, more width overall and the 19" front/cast wheels of the DL.

Then again, no stock-bike will ever stop the hordes of owners sinking $$ into their steeds in order to achieve their own, personal results.
And there will always be whingers around who'll be unhappy with everything, whatever it is.

Do you HAVE to spent extra on the DL? NO!!
But bank on it that you WILL!!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
116,000k's here.
I did have to change a cam chain, guides, tensioner at ~110,000, other than that, just wear items.

Nearest thing to bulletproof that you'll find - and a LOT better bike than the price suggests.

On dirt roads - about 5kph slower than a KLR - on the other hand it's a lot easier on the rider than a KLR so I've had KLR riders quit and take the slab well before I was ready to call it quits.

Off road it's all balance and throttle control - too heavy to muscle around, but once you get into the groove - awesome.

Pete

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
On dirt roads - about 5kph slower than a KLR - on the other hand it's a lot easier on the rider than a KLR so I've had KLR riders quit and take the slab well before I was ready to call it quits.
:confused: The WEE being easier on the rider than a KLR? (dirt!)
Owning both, I'd rather found that to be the other way around so far.
CoG is lower on the KLR, the bike is slimmer, narrower tyres, 21" front....all stuff to make life easier on the dirt.
I certainly take the KLR where I wouldn't take the WEE....and definitely wouldn't dare to go on the VEE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks fellas for the welcome and feed back. I don't mind spending a few $$$ farkling but I object to spending $$$ when the manufacturer has had 25 yrs to sort things. I'm not into the go fast dirt thing any more just a leisurely ride with a few mates, dirt roads are fine just not the logging track type scrub bashing as I'm not 18 any more (as the wife keeps reminding me, she reckons I'm in male menopause mode hence the name) & the bones don't mend as quickly these days. The Wee would be more suitable/comfortable for the bride also. If I was concerned about bufferting I would drive the car.
Has anyone had a problem with rims at all on the dirt?

Cheers :thumbup:

Mano-Pause

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hey Mano welcome,I have seen pics of dinted rims but possibly from hard riding although hard luck stories as well,I travel a lot with my employment and with all the rain in the past,well 18 months by gee the country roads I love to ride are getting bad and the small shires are on a hiding to nothing with their budgets to do repairs,I imagine in your area it is the same.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The Vstrom is no dirt bike , but it can do dirt if you know what I mean .
Ground clearance is a problem , weight is a problem as is tire choice all these things are really a problem in difficult dirt areas . BUT for dirt roads in the dry the bike is very good with just tourance tires . On the road two up its light years ahead of a KLR 650 . Consider the type of riding you are doing and what you plan to do in the future , maybe a change is in order .The Vstrom is the most reliable bike out there ,sure it can be improved but for the dollars you pay you get an awfull lot of bike and as a bonus it hold its value pretty well .You will even forget the name of you mechanic as you only see him every time you nead a rego check .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The Vstrom is no dirt bike , but it can do dirt if you know what I mean .
Ground clearance is a problem , weight is a problem as is tire choice all these things are really a problem in difficult dirt areas . BUT for dirt roads in the dry the bike is very good with just tourance tires . On the road two up its light years ahead of a KLR 650 . Consider the type of riding you are doing and what you plan to do in the future , maybe a change is in order .The Vstrom is the most reliable bike out there ,sure it can be improved but for the dollars you pay you get an awfull lot of bike and as a bonus it hold its value pretty well .You will even forget the name of you mechanic as you only see him every time you nead a rego check .
Now thats interesting Graham,you see I have the 24/25k service soon,the bike has not been back to the shop since the mandatory first service,I have just done oil and filters myself,is the valve check invasive or should I say if my wee is running perfectly is it required ? and if the tappets were out would it sound like my old 65--440 corty --hacksaw blade tollerance.Don.:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I recently bought an old [1986] KLR to practice/improve my dirt skills on..

Since riding some dirt it has made me consider if I should just sell the Wee and go buy a new KLR.

Doing some research has caused me to change my mind.

I will put up with any issues the old KLR has but won't get one to replace the Wee [which has 43,000km on it and has not given me one single ounce of trouble, I'm about to replace front and rear brake pads this weekend for the first time since I bought the bike brand new and the chain will hold on until at least 50,000km].

The weight is only noticeable for about the first day or two, the bike just has a natural feel to it that negates the weight sensation.

There is nothing to de-restrict on the Wee, they perform more like an 800cc bike even in stock form.
Compared to the KLR the Wee is a rocket.

I've yet to try more dirt oriented tyres [Tourance are the best all round tyre on the Wee, IMHO] but the Wee is no single track off road bike unless you are a very skilled dirt rider.

The Wee is still the best value for money bike so far.

You won't spend $$$$ fixing faults that shouldn't be on a bike in the first place.
But you will spend $$$$ & $$$$ adding all those goodies and extras you always wanted; like luggage, crash bars, bash plate, GPS, whatever else tickles you.

And you will love the +400km between tank fills [I can get close to 500km on a tank full on a long, steady road trip].

Add on costs = fill up, ride, fill up, ride, fill up, ride, fill up, ride:
Well you get the picture.:thumbup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum Mano,
On here you'll fnd a great bunch of guys and gals that all have one thing in common, that is we're all certified Vee/Wee Strommers who love riding these bikes and sharing their stories as you'll see.

Even though I own a Vee I can tell you from the dealers I know in Sydney that couriers love the 650 wee for it's reliability and fuel milage, and as already stated the're a case of simply keeping them serviced and fueled and they'll go forever, and there are examples running around as courier bikes with over 300000k's on them and still going strong.

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks fellas for the welcome and feed back. I don't mind spending a few $$$ farkling but I object to spending $$$ when the manufacturer has had 25 yrs to sort things. I'm not into the go fast dirt thing any more just a leisurely ride with a few mates, dirt roads are fine just not the logging track type scrub bashing as I'm not 18 any more (as the wife keeps reminding me, she reckons I'm in male menopause mode hence the name) & the bones don't mend as quickly these days. The Wee would be more suitable/comfortable for the bride also. If I was concerned about bufferting I would drive the car.
Has anyone had a problem with rims at all on the dirt?

Cheers :thumbup:

Mano-Pause
Hi and welcome. From what you have written, in my opinion, the wee is perfect for you. There are fellas on this site with over 200,000km on their wee's. My strom is used almost weekly for commuting, done the odd trip over the nullabour with luggage and done a bit of offroad work (gravel roads) and it performs well at all these tasks. If you are going to buy a new one then its probably best till wait till the new model comes out around september, or i bet there will be some good specials in august on the old model strom.
cheers
wizzer

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
:confused: The WEE being easier on the rider than a KLR? (dirt!)
Owning both, I'd rather found that to be the other way around so far.
CoG is lower on the KLR, the bike is slimmer, narrower tyres, 21" front....all stuff to make life easier on the dirt.
I certainly take the KLR where I wouldn't take the WEE....and definitely wouldn't dare to go on the VEE.
Not saying the DL will go places a KLR won't - I'm talking about long days mostly on dirt roads, 12 hours or so, no single track, just riding on dirt roads from A->B.

Yes, the DL is better in those conditions, a little slower than the KLR , mainly because you really need to brake earlier because it won't stop if you brake late ;), but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable and once you get the hang of riding it, less effort to keep it on the road.

All that weight up high has one plus - the bike steers really well just with small body weight shifts and some throttle input - a KLR takes more muscle and beats the crap out of your backside and shoulders.

Pete

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Now thats interesting Graham,you see I have the 24/25k service soon,the bike has not been back to the shop since the mandatory first service,I have just done oil and filters myself,is the valve check invasive or should I say if my wee is running perfectly is it required ? and if the tappets were out would it sound like my old 65--440 corty --hacksaw blade tollerance.Don.:yesnod:
Mate I know people will say otherwise but I would leave the valves alone. I had mine done @ about 62,000 I think and only 2 were out . The type of valve sytem which is common to a lot of different engines is very good . Realy once it is right it seems to never need adjustment according to most boards . This makes me wonder if they come out of the factory slightly out because of the assemble process . Remember oils changes are cheaper than a mechanic and even Suzuki says you only need to change the filter every 3rd oil change .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few dealers around Brisbane & Goldcoast have the current model DL650 A on sale for $9900 ride away which i think is great value considering a DR 650 or KLR will set you back $7990 ride away.

Mano

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A few dealers around Brisbane & Goldcoast have the current model DL650 A on sale for $9900 ride away which i think is great value considering a DR 650 or KLR will set you back $7990 ride away.

Mano
That is a great price Mano,rode mine out the door in Oct 08 at $10971 :headbang:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not saying the DL will go places a KLR won't - I'm talking about long days mostly on dirt roads, 12 hours or so, no single track, just riding on dirt roads from A->B.

Yes, the DL is better in those conditions, a little slower than the KLR , mainly because you really need to brake earlier because it won't stop if you brake late ;), but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable and once you get the hang of riding it, less effort to keep it on the road.

All that weight up high has one plus - the bike steers really well just with small body weight shifts and some throttle input - a KLR takes more muscle and beats the crap out of your backside and shoulders.

Pete
No worries.
Different folks, different strokes .

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Mano
Probably not in the country... but in major cities, those prices are "starting prices" currently.
For Melbourne: Start your wheeling and dealing from there.

'10 plated non-ABS DLs are going for below $9k rideaway.
'10 plated KLR's are going for as little as $7k ride-away with some smaller extras like Ventura rack or heated grips, '10 DR's $7.2k with some farkles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts