StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm new to the Wee. I just picked up an 08 Flat Black Wee and I'm loving it (wish I had more time to ride).

I've never had a V-twin before. So I don't know what they are supposed to sound like. The bike runs out great, but just to be sure, if you wouldn't mind, I've provided a video of my engine. I'd like you all to watch and more importantly, listen...tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDobSncr3ko

Thanks to all of you, in advance. I'm really enjoying lurking here, and learning about the V-Strom. I'm looking forward to some road trips, and I have a heated vest on the way to assist with this!

Joe

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Yep........sound like hell don't they.:yikes: You might also notice the sound changes a bit when you pull on the clutch lever. Ride it....that front pipe is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to clean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! You addressed my concerns. I was hearing some weird clutch-on noise and then the idle noise. I just didn't know if I should worry, or if this is just what they do. My previous bikes have all been parallel twins and inline 4's (which have their own odd noises).

Peace!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hey All,

I'm new to the Wee. I just picked up an 08 Flat Black Wee and I'm loving it (wish I had more time to ride).

I've never had a V-twin before. So I don't know what they are supposed to sound like. The bike runs out great, but just to be sure, if you wouldn't mind, I've provided a video of my engine. I'd like you all to watch and more importantly, listen...tell me what you think.

Thanks to all of you, in advance. I'm really enjoying lurking here, and learning about the V-Strom. I'm looking forward to some road trips, and I have a heated vest on the way to assist with this!

Joe
It's normal. Mine was making that noise at 2300 when I bought it, its still making it at 20,000. Just be thankful it's not a Ducati, mechanical noises almost drown out the exhaust!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey All,

If it doesn't sound like this it's not a V-Strom.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know the sound you're concerned with. It's most pronounced in your video when you zoom in to the rear cylinder. My '07 makes the same knock at idle with 23,000 miles on it. It has made that sound since the first time it warmed up with 2 miles on it. No change, no problems.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

That is totally frikkin' sweet! Is that the 1968 "FashionMate" model of the Swinger 237? And what exactly were you sewing on that dishtowel? I couldn't recognize the pattern or the hem length but I'm still relatively new to the WeeStrom. :beatnik:

·
Registered
193 Posts

That's too funny!! Sitting here having my morning Timmy's (coffee for my friends south of the 49th) and when I heard that sewing machine it just made me want to take the Wee out for a spin. Think I'll do that. Going to be a great Indian summer type of day. Enjoy he day folks! I will.

Hank

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Just too funny for words. Singertroopers unite.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey All,

Joe
Sounds like my 08 flat black Wee with 10,000 miles on it.

BTW - I love the signature

"Standin' on a hill in the mountain of dreams
Tellin' myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems
"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just wait till you hear the chain noise while riding next to a jersey barrier or a truck. You'll think something is terribly wrong. Just a great bike with quirky noises that you'll grow to love.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You have *got* to try this! Click on both links quickly so they open in new tabs or windows and play at the same time, so the sound from both videos overlap, and turn your speakers up...no joke, you can hardly tell them apart!!!

Video 1 <---click, then come back here quickly and.....

Video 2 <-- click this one too!

Then rewind them both and mute the sound on one then watch the other.....the sewing machine is blipping the throttle and the joeveto's WeeStrom is idling smoothly.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
HappyWanderer, so that is what that sound is, I was riding next
to a barrier the other day and could not figure that sound out.

By the way, I like your real name!

Paul

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well wouldn't ya know.....

It turns out that someone has made a website called "YouTube Doubler" that serves the express purpose of playing two youtube videos at once side-by-side. It's a perfect match for the DL650 and Singer videos mentioned above, so here's a link to a mashup that plays them both at once......pretty cool.....and it seems to be what joeveto's video was destined for.....may you find everlasting viral fame and fortune, Joe! :D

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...atch?v=nzpJPQ1Oa8E&start2=0&authorName=Stoopy

Endless fun muting the volume on one then the other (well, OK it's endless for those of us who are very easily entertained....)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts