StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am an avid rider and I ride everyday, no matter the weather, hence the name. I currently ride a 2009 KLR650 but it just isn't enough for me. I have owned it for a year now and have put 8000+ miles on her. I try riding 2-up with the Mrs' but it just doesn't have the power to go, and the seat isn't the greatest. Don't get me wrong it's a fun bike, but just not enough.

So anyway, I was looking for another "dualsport" if you can classify the Vee as one. I don't go off raod much, maybe dirt roads, but I would like the suspension a little better than a sport or cruiser. I am very interested in the Vee but I am concerned of any immediate issues I have to take care of. Anyway, that's a little about me.
:punk:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, sorry for the double post...

I reside in Whidbey Island Washington.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
The Stroms have a lot of add on crap like the KLR do, thus can be configured to your particular riding habits.

Some people on here ride mostly offroad, others are more of a combo, while others either tour or try and see if the Strom can be supercharged so go fast. It is truly a very versatile bike with a lot of capabilities. The comfort factor comes in when the rider decides what they want it for and put their desired crap on it.......

Mine is set up for both on road and fire/logging road riding. It handles well on both. Although I am not one of those "twisties" riders, I do believe that it also handles well through turns. If you are on Whidbey then you would appreciate its ability to handle a cross wind with relative ease. I would put on new springs, at least a handlebar cross brace, and a fork brace if I was riding in your area. Just my opinion, but others will tell you otherwise.

For a fun ride that eliminates concerns for road conditions (mostly) it is hard to beat the Strom.

P.S. I like the Vee better than Wee, but to each their own.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have noticed riding my KLR in the wind is like trying to fly a kite in a huricane, I am all over the place, still managing to stay in my lane, and I have found that 40+ knot crosswinds are too much for the KLR, I actually dragged pegs on a straight road. Not particularly safe, however fun for a little bit.:yikes:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did it, I finally went out and got me my Vee. 2007 DL1000, with some Givi side cases, not sure which ones they are, but I don't particularly like the side opening, I would rather have top opening. Anyway, I got her for $5350, good price? I'm guessing it was.

All I have ridden was a KLR650 for the last year and a half, and MAN, is this Vee fast! I had a hard time keeping it at 60! :yikes:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Inner cloth bags make clam shell hard bags a lot friendlier. Yours look like V35s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, note taken, thank you

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definitely get bags for your hard case luggage, it makes life much easier.. Ive got a KLR and Vstrom as well.. Where you do two up you will be happy you went with the 1000.. Welcome to the world old Vstroms.. I wish you many happy miles....

·
Ex- moderator
1,129 Posts
I put a fork brace, stiffer front springs and 4 piston front calipers on mine as well as tweaking with a Teka-Pro...very capable in the twisties, loads of power and very versatile..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts