StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys and gals,
I’m Johnny and I just purchased my first strommmm today. I’m a 31 year old retired veteran living up north in NH. The bike is a 2014 vstrom 1000 in like New condition, and I just drove it 100 miles home in forty degree weather brrrrrrr. It’s completely stock aside from some guards and bar risers. Forgive me if I ask a lot of questions there is an overwhelming amount of knowledge to sort through on this forum and I’ve not yet mastered navigation.

With only a hundred miles in the saddle a few things stuck out to me. The stock windshield height throws fists of wind right at my face, the stock exhaust Is a little Turdy, and the bike in neutral at idle sounds a bit sketchy. the seat while comfy enough for short rides I can see aggravating my back injuries.
I figure a taller windshield Will be priority one, then some rear luggage, then the seat, and then exhaust and all other little things.

#1) any advise on the best windshield option? 5’11 but I ride very vertical. Would prefer one that retains the stock mounts if possible.

#2) Google searches for the past hour have turned up not one winner for a phone Mount. They all seem cheap and cheesy. Any recommendations for one that is metal and doesn’t use rubber bands to hold the phone on? I’m not a fan at all of the ram ones. Can be bar mount or I suppose one of those mirror tab mounts or perhaps something you strom gobblers have perfected specific to these bikes? 🤔

#3) I suspect there is the usual Corbin options for a seat, but is there anything offering rider backrest? Not a necessity but I find my boney ass doesn’t appreciate most Corbin seats I’ve had. Maybe there’s something comfier out there you guys can recommend?

#4) I’ve been browsing luggage but it’s awfully confusing what brackets fit what side bags and tail bags. I’m hoping there’s a cheaper alternative to the name brand expensive stuff I’ve been seeing? I know you sometimes get what you pay for but for the short term a cheaper set up would work better for me and allow me to do some cross country cruising.

#5) for prior sport bikes I’ve generally used yoshi pipes, I see a bunch of different options and so far it sounds (according to terrible microphone recordings on YouTube) that the two brothers slip on sounds the best. Maybe you guys have a better recommendation?

#6) this one might make me seem lunatic, but do any of you ever take your dog riding with you? My pocket sized pitty Ella snowboards and snowmobiles and cliff jumps with me, she’s my little 40lb adventure buddy (emotional support pet as well) I have a few brain quirks and it’s hard for me to be without her for long periods so I’ve been trying to think of a solution to take her with me. She’s probably just a tad too big for a chest or backpack option, but considering the real estate available on the tail I was thinking some kind of tail bag or crate set up... maybe there’s someone on here who’s done something similar? Worth a shot, if I can’t figure out a way to bring her with me I’m not sure I’ll be able to stay overnight camping and whatnot on the bike.

thanks for taking the time to read this and for letting me introduce myself. I’m excited to go on adventures and learn more about the vstrom community.

I appreciate any advise you all have to offer!!

🥂
Johnny
7ADE6F5C-D8BF-4F44-93B4-5B7DA6CA1C4B.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also... are there any simple LED headlight upgrades that don’t require much modification? My night eyes aren’t what they used to be😑

·
Registered
2020 DL 650X, 2018 CRF250L
27 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. In regards to #2, I tried a number of mounts including RAM which I was never happy with. I now use a Perfect Squeeze. A really precision and super high quality piece of kit. And very positive action. Just turn the thumbwheel and the phone is going nowhere. Had it with the springs and bands bs. Expensive but worth every penny.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new bike. In regards to #2, I tried a number of mounts including RAM which I was never happy with. I now use a Perfect Squeeze. A really precision and super high quality piece of kit. And very positive action. Just turn the thumbwheel and the phone is going nowhere. Had it with the springs and bands bs. Expensive but worth every penny.

That is precisely the kind of mount I’m looking for!! Thank you so much. 🙏

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I can help with #6, I have the Bagster. It connects to a harness like a tank bag.

View attachment 279363

View attachment 279364
that looks like the ideal position but I’m not sure my little Ella would fit. How big is your dog that you ride with? Mine is about 40lbs 🤔

I found that tail bag on eBay that looks like it’s the largest option, I think she would fit a little better. I kinda like the idea of the tank bag better though.

E0A1A473-09B8-4DBA-B439-D4B6DBB836D0.jpeg
BB33E0D7-BEF2-4955-8DFA-9DEFE2977BE6.jpeg

·
2015 DL650
199 Posts
You are correct, Ella would be a bit big. For the Bagster, the ideal weight is 15-20lbs.

You may also want to research PillonPooch, Pillion Pooch. I was researching dog carriers this was something I came across on ADVRider.

Best of luck

·
2015 DL650
199 Posts
I should also mention RexSpecs. They make goggles for dogs. Protects the eyes, takes some training to get them used to the goggles but I think they are worth it.

Traveling with your dog is a sweet treat, I avoid any bad weather. My dog loves it, and you'll get a lot of friendly people wanting to chat and meet you.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are correct, Ella would be a bit big. For the Bagster, the ideal weight is 15-20lbs.

You may also want to research PillonPooch, Pillion Pooch. I was researching dog carriers this was something I came across on ADVRider.

Best of luck
that sure would do it! Thank you! I’ve been searching online for a few days and none of these options ever pop up. I’ll start searching in Europe it seems there are way more accessories!! 🥂

·
Registered
768 Posts
welcome!
You will love that bike, I rode a rental; the same model and year, 2 up all through Greece a few years back.
Regarding seats you will find many opinions but much depends on your size. I love my sargeant seat and you may say I have a bony ass. 6 ft, 180 pounds, 32 inch inseam. My buddy also likes his sargeant @ 240 pounds plus, 6 ft 1.
You can also order backrests. It would be useful if you can find someone in your area who has one so you can try it, although it truly takes a couple hours of riding before you can tell the differences in any seat.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

#1 - I added a MRA X-Creen Tour Spoiler to the top of my OEM windshield on my K6 Wee. Infinitely adjustable, well almost.
Twisted Throttle MRA X-Creen

#2 - I keep my phone in my pocket.

#3 - Three words; Russell Day Long. There is no other.
Russell Day Long

#4 - For luggage I went hard side cases & top case, all SW-Motech Trax EVOs. They have been replaced by the IONs and Adventure cases. For a tail bag or pillion bag, I went with Aerostich's Motofizz bags.
Revzilla SW Motech hard cases
Aerostich Motofizz tail bag (small, medium, & large))

#5 - I still have the stock pipes.

#6 - Shasta at the 2013 Eastern V-Strom Rally:

YMMV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Johnny,

Welcome to this great site, you will love your bike the more you ride it. The idle with clutch out is a little noisy, you will notice that it gets a tad quieter when you pull in the clutch - no need to worry, this is just the design of the clutch (Suzuki Clutch Assist and slipper clutch.)

Take a look at the link below regarding the fitting of Givi hard panniers.

Givi hard panniers

Cheers,
Jeremy

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered the givi af3105 windscreen today after reading a ton of recommendations. Anyone on here that’s 5’10-5’11 have suggestions on approximate set up to eliminate all wind buffeting or is it going to be adjust ride adjust ride cycle to dial it in? Also the bike came with a headlight guard which I suppose makes it look kinda mad Max but it casts a pretty wicked grid pattern shadow while night riding... I think I’m gonna take it off and only put it in if I’m planning to do some serious back country trails 🤔

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, ordered the givi tank bag mount today but haven’t decided on a bag yet. I’m considering going with this one

GIVI ST602B Tanklock 4 Liter Quick Release Tank Bag, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXWMCSP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_.bAPFbD3NJJMX

I don’t need a massive one just enough for phone wallet sunglasses and whatnot. Any of you have this one or a recommendation on what bag fits nicely to the contour of the tank? if so could you post a picture of what you have? Thanks for all your input I’m learning a ton.

this is approximately the 25th motorcycle I’ve owned (in my military years I bought, built and traded a ton of bikes) and so far it’s possibly my favorite. My 2008 Suzuki B-king holds a special place in my heart but this one is quickly taking the title.

·
Registered
2014 DL1000 Vstrom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

#1 - I added a MRA X-Creen Tour Spoiler to the top of my OEM windshield on my K6 Wee. Infinitely adjustable, well almost.
Twisted Throttle MRA X-Creen

#2 - I keep my phone in my pocket.

#3 - Three words; Russell Day Long. There is no other.
Russell Day Long

#4 - For luggage I went hard side cases & top case, all SW-Motech Trax EVOs. They have been replaced by the IONs and Adventure cases. For a tail bag or pillion bag, I went with Aerostich's Motofizz bags.
Revzilla SW Motech hard cases
Aerostich Motofizz tail bag (small, medium, & large))

#5 - I still have the stock pipes.

#6 - Shasta at the 2013 Eastern V-Strom Rally:

I’ve been searching all day to come up short on any trailer hitches that fit the vstrom, are there any mods or hacks you know of or should I just get something custom fabricated? 🤔

YMMV

View attachment 279382

·
Registered
532 Posts
You'll have to play with the Givi. I'm 5'10", usually have it a bit over halfway up. Drop it down for off-pavement. If your back is a concern you might want to get handlebar risers. I put 25mm on mine, worked with the stock control cables.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts