StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be picking up my new 2014 Strom in a few weeks. I got the base model and will farkles from there.

I plan to commute to work and do some back road riding. < my roots are in the dirt> I have several dirt oriented bikes for the serious off road stuff.

I know I need to add a GPS mount right away. Every bike has its week points. What order do I need to add stuff. I cant add everything at one time.

Thanks for any advice.

Randy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the group!

#1: Center Stand

If I was you, the first thing I would add is a center stand. I never had a bike without one and wouldn't want to start.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Obviously depends on your use but I have been doing about one thing every couple months. Top case first, skid plate, cigarette charger, tank bag, windsheild in that order. Saw the biggest differene with windsheild but needed the other except for the skid plate which I though the oil filter just looked to exposed. Next will be hand guards, cruise control, and maybe but I don't really want them is side cases. Using a large dry bag currently strapped down when I do trips. Just my thoughts....

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
There's not really much for weak spots.. just things that you might want to have.

When I got both my Stroms I immediately added the centerstand, the Hand guards and the top case. In both cases I got a Madstad Bracket to cure any issues I had with buffeting and added/transferred GPS right away. For me Throttle Rocker and throttle lock are necessities and I found I needed a better seat.

Fork Brace is nice. There is a ton of other crap you can add but most isn't needed.

I'd suggest you wait until you ride it a bit to see what is important to you before you blow a bunch of money on stuff you probably don't need.

..Tom

·
Registered
865 Posts
Depending on your power requirements, Eastern Beaver sells some usefull solutions. If you'll only need powe for the GPS then their accessory socket or heated grip adapters will together give you two ignition switched power sources.

The plastic Suzuki lowe cowling gives a little protection to the oil filter / cooler and also, IMO, tidies up the bike from an asthetic view. Not much use if you're expecting to do serious rough roads though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the Madstad Bracket make much difference ? I saw a place that sells them and a GPS mount plate that mounts behind the windshield. I have a Garmin Montana but im thinking it may not be the best for street riding. Searching around the net there seems to be tons of stuff for these bikes.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
If you have an Auto type GPS, Ram makes an Aqua Box that will protect your GPS from the wet. No point in buying a several hundred dollar GPS when what you have will work just fine.
Farkles are what makes you happy in no particular order but the Center Stand and maybe the Fork Brace are really nice features.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
+1 on center stand, fork brace and windshield. Also, Augustus deflectors are a big help, for sale here in the inventors forum, I believe.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
Does the Madstad Bracket make much difference ? I saw a place that sells them and a GPS mount plate that mounts behind the windshield. I have a Garmin Montana but im thinking it may not be the best for street riding. Searching around the net there seems to be tons of stuff for these bikes.
Madstad did gret things for me. Only downside for you is that it works with older strom windshields (ie 650's before 2012 and dl1000 from 2003 to 2013). I use the the stock windshield from an older dl650 and a large Givi. I don't feel the Need for anything else.

I hear the Montana is great if it's the one I'm thinking of.. Waterproof, tough, etc. for my old eyes the smaller screens don't work well but I was happy with a Garmin 60cx when my eyes were better.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Forkbrace , center stand, windshield, gps mount, Eastern Beaver H4 dual headlight relay kit, and power adapter for the gps. That for me was just the beginning :confused:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Every bike has its week points.
Four week points = one month point.

I think you should ride it and decide what concerns or annoys you most, then address that. You don't need a belly pan if you're sticking to roads, for example. No one here can tell you the answer to whether you "need" one or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never though a throttle lock would of use on a bike but I ride mostly dirt. I can not figure out what on earth someone could need all these power outlets for either. Most of the bikes I have rode either have no seat or a 2 X4 with a inch of padding on them, with the exception of my Husky I am selling. < most may find it a uncomfortable seat> I can see this bike can spoil a person and I got lots to figure out.:confused:

Keep the ideas rolling.

Randy

·
Registered
220 Posts
will the farkles never cease thread

Check out this thread for some ideas.

I set my DL650 up for long distance rides on sealed and secondary dirt roads.
I am from a dirt riding background.

Weak points of the DL IMO are
1) Oil filter is vulnerable
2) low ground clearance
3) front forks are old fashioned design (soft-ish and unable to cope with bigger hits)
4) foot pegs are slippery when wet
5) air filter access sucks
6) handle bars sweep back too much and are too low for standing position.

Having said that I have had a lot of fun on the DL. It has a nice easy motor and long days are not hard to do.
I put an oiled pool filter sock over the air intake . I didn't go the centre stand way. I just use an enduro jack to lift the wheels as needed when on the road.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
May I ask what you paid? My dealer says it's a good time to buy (it's always a good time to buy for them) because the 2015 are out.
I am in Canada but the show price was $8,099 plus taxes . no interest or payments for a year.

You want to pay them before the year is up , even if you have to borrow from your own bank. They hope you cant pay and need to pay their higher interest rates.

Randy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check out this thread for some ideas.

I set my DL650 up for long distance rides on sealed and secondary dirt roads.
I am from a dirt riding background.

Weak points of the DL IMO are
1) Oil filter is vulnerable
2) low ground clearance
3) front forks are old fashioned design (soft-ish and unable to cope with bigger hits)
4) foot pegs are slippery when wet
5) air filter access sucks
6) handle bars sweep back too much and are too low for standing position.

Having said that I have had a lot of fun on the DL. It has a nice easy motor and long days are not hard to do.
I put an oiled pool filter sock over the air intake . I didn't go the centre stand way. I just use an enduro jack to lift the wheels as needed when on the road.
Hey XR man ,

Would your 2103 be the same as my 2014 ? I mean your bike is from the future :yikes:

Randy

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

The Montana works great on a motorcycle on both streets and dirt if you have the City Nav map.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 55 Posts