StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I ride together, our last bike was a Goldwing. We sold it for her to go to anesthesia school. We are thinking about having another bike, and want something light and easy to handle. Power is not an issue, I have found over time that all bikes go fast enough for me... eventually. The V-strom 650 seems like a pretty good fit. I was poised to purchase one this weekend but research on this forum has lead me to believe that the price I was going to pay is way to high. There are only a couple of options locally, a 2013 650 Adventure with 1700 miles for $5500 and a non-adventure 2014 650 model with 6200 miles with added panniers and case guards for $5200. Those both seemed to be pretty good deals until I read this forum and realized they were maybe $1000 (?) too high. I am thinking now that perhaps I should wait until Winter. I know the deals with be better then. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hard to answer not knowing what "local" means.

In California those prices would be a screaming deal, everywhere else, not so much. I doubt these bikes are $1000 too high but certainly lower is a possibility. People tend to price bikes about $200-$300 over the price they want so the 2014 for $5K with panniers (assuming you need them) is not a bad price. I wouldn't wait till Winter, why miss out on a whole riding season to save a few bucks? (Now that your wife is making the big bucks!). Join the fun and ride.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Another welcome to the forum, Rick. Don't wait. Screaming deals are nice, but having another season of riding is more important. Check on line for prices around your state and neighboring ones. A couple hundred mile drive is worth $1000. Bobby

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
Those prices aren't that bad, are they both stock and do you prefer one color over the other? Also......I service "anesthesia machines" been doing such for 17 years, best of luck to your spouse on going to school to be a CRNA I assume?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those prices aren't that bad, are they both stock and do you prefer one color over the other? Also......I service "anesthesia machines" been doing such for 17 years, best of luck to your spouse on going to school to be a CRNA I assume?

The 2013 Adventure is stock.

The 2014 has added Givi crash bars/engine guard, Givi skid plate, Givi side cases, Givi tank ring, Snake Skin tank protector, Madstad tall adjustable windscreen, Optional Suzuki tall seat, SW Motech wide / adjustable foot pegs, Adventure Tech foot pegs lowering kit, Adventure Tech raising link (1 inch), Adventure Tech accessory shelf, Adventure Tech mirror risers, Adventure Tech side stand extension and Eastern Beaver headlight relay upgrade.

All the "tall" stuff would have to come off, I cannot flat foot the bike.

Yes sir, she is a CRNA and surely appreciates you guys hard work!

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
I'd buy the 2014 as it has been owned by an enthusiast who would be more likely to ensure that it has been looked after, and especially if you intend to travel. Even though you intend to remove the raising links. You might very well find an as new OEM seat online here. The panniers and brackets alone would surely cost $1,000+.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
A tall seat and 1" suspension raise? The PO must have had a 40" inseam. Nonetheless, all that stuff is easily reversible, and can even be lowered from stock if needed. I'd be on that 2014 deal in a heartbeat if it's still available. I would offer 5K but wouldn't hesitate to go full price if they're firm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A tall seat and 1" suspension raise? The PO must have had a 40" inseam. Nonetheless, all that stuff is easily reversible, and can even be lowered from stock if needed. I'd be on that 2014 deal in a heartbeat if it's still available. I would offer 5K but wouldn't hesitate to go full price if they're firm.
Done! Picking it up in the next few days. He happens to have all the stock stuff so I should be able to make it ride-able for me fairly quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I brought it home yesterday. I changed out the Dog Bones and realized that I have a raising link and a lowering link but nothing stock. When I will see if someone on the forum has a stock set they will sell me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts