StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post and say G'day

I have just joined the fraternity, having just purchased a new 2010 Wee Strom during an end of year run out sale here in Australia. Seems like a great bike for the money and I'm really excited. Picking it up next Saturday. Also really pleased that there is an Australia specific forum here, so I'm hoping to meet some new friends. I'll be using the bike for touring including some back country riding.

Straight away I'm in the market for some accessories. We call that Farkling? :confused: The basics appear to be engine bars, skid plate and hand guards. I'd greatly appreciate views on what the current best practice is for these parts. Also curious on the best rear bag that fit on the stock carrier. I'm thinking I'll leave the whole top box / panniers / luggage thing for later.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and views it will help kick start my research.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome...

Welcome aboard Charley,

I'm fairly new here myself. New to the forum, and newly back to riding after a 20-some year absence. I just ticked over 1,000 miles on my 2011 white beauty this past weekend.

The V-Strom is a great bike, you're probably going to love it. Do a bit of reading and research to be aware of it's "quirks" just so you're not suddenly surprised. Many folks have said that the Strom is a bit top heavy, and many recommend filling the fuel tank 1/2 full until you get used to the balance of the bike. From my experience I have to agree with this.

The bike is tall, and feels a bit heavy. With a full tank of fuel you have to pay attention to it when stopped, it feels like it wants to take a dive toward the ground, but once you get the wheels spinning a bit she'll dance like an elegant lady and the top heavy feel completely disappears.

After 1,000 miles my body is adjusted to it and I no longer notice the top heavy feel, and my thighs instinctively hold her tight when stopped. Riding it is a dream and I can't for the life of me find a valid reason that I've been without a bike for 20 years.

Enjoy the bike, and keep us posted on your experience. Should you feel the need to post some photos of your adventures in the Austalian bush, well, that would be appreciated also!

Stay safe,
Joe

·
Registered
15,438 Posts
Hi ho from 1/2 a world away. I've had my used wee for about a month or so, put a couple camping trips on it and find it to be a very pleasant ride.
Best thing before asking a lot of questions is to do a search on the topic you have in mind. The google search of this site is great. You'll get enough info to make your eyes fall out but the cross references are great.
Most of your questions will be answered by the searches. Also, check the for sale section and you may find what you are looking for. Oh, post 20 times before you try to buy, part of the rules. I know it's a lot of reading but the stuff at the top of each section is full of good and pertinent info.
Hopefully you're gonna love the bike. As soon as I get the bash plate I just ordered I'll hit the dirt roads with some confidence.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you're right in what you said. For the money you get a lot of bike. I added heated grips on mine and I like the black hand guards; very useful.

The centre stand is also very good.

Economy is OK with my best so far 240 miles and I was down to the last segment on the fule read out.

Folk say that 60 plus mpg is possible. That sounds good to me as petrol is taxed to the max in UK.

Where the bike has a weak point is the chrome and fixings which are poor quality; my bike is 3 years old and you can see the deterioration which IMHO is bad for a 3 year old bike. But the engine is sweet :thumbup:

Cap'n Sensible

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Welcome Charlie.

Where in Oz are you?

If you are in the Sydney area there are a heap of us here [mind you, there are lots of Wee/Vee owners all over Australia].

Oh, and Wee=650, Vee=1000 in case you haven't caught up with that bit of terminology too.

Doing a nice little ride on the 25th./26th. if you want a chance to run your new bike in.

Farkles are Functional Sparkles.

Ride the bike for a while before you lash out on extras, and look at what many of us already have.
There are plenty of cheap luggage options too.

You will love the bike.

They handle very well and the feeling of size and weight disappears very quickly once you have ridden it for a bit.

Mine has over 41,000km on it now [09 Wee] and just keeps getting faster and better. :thumbup:

[and if Bird is your surname, I may know some of your rellies in Vic.]

Cheers,
Ock

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wee is only two weeks old and I have added or plan these essential farkles: dual Fiamm horns (relay needed), Tractor Supply (horse) saddle bags for use as front and rear panniers, GIVI top case, rear LED lights, 12 volt accessory plug, generic tank bag, hand guards, foam grips, GPS mount, and mirror extenders (Twisted Throttle). Most of this equipment came from my BMW (sold) and KLR (selling). Oh, and while I continue researching for the right seat, I have added a HD foam pad, sheepskin, and covered by a Wally World ATV seat pad. It works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts