StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already know a few of you guys here.

Hi RandyO -The Man Hoe-, Richw and nhbubba.

Had a '93 KLR for 8 or 9 years. Love it. Does everything I want of it reasonably well. She's geared up a bit for better highway travel, Ricor Intiminators up front, Shinko 705's, braided brake lines, Scottoiler, jet kit, etc etc etc

Went on a long weekend up to the tip of NH/VT a couple years back on my ZRX1200. Was wishing for the KLR the whole time due to the road conditions. On our way back with a buddy on his GS500, we stopped at a dealer and sat on a new Wee. Maybe it was our already sore 700 mile in 24 hour asses, but that bike just felt perfect.

Fast forward two years. Still have the KLR. Still have the ZRX. Also got a SV650N to play on the track with and a Vmax to tug the wife around on. Yes, I have a lot of bikes. I also have a very understanding wife. This is why when I mentioned to her last week "Hey hunny, someone local is selling an '04 Weestrom for $2600 in good shape with 18k on it, that's a smokin deal", she said "Then go get it!".

But alas, I was too late. There was a kid on his was from NYC the very next day on a bus to come drive it home. Owner had posted it up on Craigslist for $2750 and it was spoken for within hours. I talked to him on the phone and since he had listed it on our local forum (NESR) earlier for $2600, he offered to let me bid higher to get it. $2800 and I was on my way there. The kid from NYC was pissed. Too bad champ. Yankees suck.

Got there, looked it over very thoroughly. Chain was dry as a bone. Paint was good, but it needed a good wash. Oxidation all over, but nothing crazy. Newish trail wings had years left in them. Stiebel air horn worked great, heated grips with switch mounted in the dash. Took it for a spin around the block, rode well. And home it came with me.

So now I have yet another bike in the garage. I imposed a limit on myself to 4 bikes registered at any given time, so I think I'm going to sell the KLR. This is one of only two bikes I'd ever consider parting ways with the KLR for (other being a Triumph Tiger XC) so selling the KLR once this one is ready to roll will keep my bonds of matrimony from straining.

After a night of vomiting dog, then another night of lower intestinal unrest/liquidation at the gap for me, I finally got a chance to wheel her into the basement last night. Pulled the fairing off, tank off, etc etc.

Going to be doing a valve adjustment, oil change, fork oil change, new dust seals on the fork, repack steering head bearings, clean/lube all the linkages, lube cables, etc etc etc. Also going to install a Scottoiler first thing since I'm a chain lube Nazi and have been known to lube other people's chains on group rides since I'm so anal about it.

Only snag I've run into so far is one damn front fender fastener. She's seized in the fork leg good. Can't heat it without toasting the fender. Tried hitting it with a metal hammer a bunch to knock the oxidation free (worked with the other one). May have to knotch it and use the flathead on the impact driver which I would rather avoid. Also noticed that the tank has never been off the bike. Looks like the shop he paid to do work on it never even checked the air filter. It came with a brand new K&N that I'll be popping in when she's going back together.

First thoughts on the bike for the 400 yard ride I took it on:

Plenty of pep compared to a KLR.

Comfortable.

When the moto-mags say "the most natural handling motorcycle ever made", they weren't kidding. It just feels right.

Lighter than it looks.

Brakes are strong even with the stock lines on there.

So how is that for an intro? :D

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Good luck man, but bad Karma with that act on the NY kid..
I think owner should have given him a chance to match you up.
Doesn't sound like very fair business.

(That been said: I guess I might see you in the NE trip. I hope you're not bringing an axe like Randy :yikes:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the seller went back on his word over a hundred bucks, I'm sure everything he told you about the bike is true. :beatnik:
I'm not too concerned. Previous seller did 0% of his own maintenance. I was going through the receipts last night, I can't imagine being able to afford a motorcycle if I had to pay as much as he did to get even the simplest things done by a dealer.

As far as the karma goes, this is making up for all the times I've been stood up by Craiglist "I'll be there at 4:00 with cash" deadbeats.

I had the money first. Sorry bud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(That been said: I guess I might see you in the NE trip. I hope you're not bringing an axe like Randy :yikes:)
Might see you guys, hoping to do another Deal's Gap trip this fall too. Randy, you want in like the old days? It's me, Halfsquid and Bruce so far....

Ax?

I have a Stihl Woodboss that I could strap to the front fender with a remote throttle. Then I wouldn't even need to stop to clear the trail.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
As far as the karma goes, this is making up for all the times I've been stood up by Craiglist "I'll be there at 4:00 with cash" deadbeats.

I had the money first. Sorry bud.
So following your logic, it is OK to make it up for all the times others stole from you by stealing back the first chance you have?

I thought being a stromtrooper is beyond just owning the Suzuki DL-650.

What goes around, comes around. :beatnik:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So following your logic, it is OK to make it up for all the times others stole from you by stealing back the first chance you have?

I thought being a stromtrooper is beyond just owning the Suzuki DL-650.

What goes around, comes around. :beatnik:
Ugh, here we go. And the term "best offer" means, "first one to say he wants it even if there is a better offer", right?

Guess I'm not your idea of a model citizen. I'm hurt.

Sellers decision, not mine. He gave me the opportunity, I took it. I don't feel bad. If you do, give your bike to the kid from NYC. Or go chastise the seller for selling on his own terms.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ugh, here we go. And the term "best offer" means, "first one to say he wants it even if there is a better offer", right?

Guess I'm not your idea of a model citizen. I'm hurt.

Sellers decision, not mine. He gave me the opportunity, I took it. I don't feel bad. If you do, give your bike to the kid from NYC. Or go chastise the seller for selling on his own terms.
I would not break my word, in particular not for $200.
But I guess it is just me.

Not your fault, but adding that 'Yankees suck' didn't help the 'clean image'..

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Until cash hit's your palm, or you reserve it for a trustworthy friend - until they're standing right in front of you with an offer, anything can happen. Sure, that guy who got stiffed isn't gonna be happy that he got outbid, but hopefully he learned a lesson - if you really want something, don't dither and go and get it before someone who wants it more beats you to it. And, we all do not know the details of the tarted arrangement [who knows, maybe the guy who got stiffed was a dick?).

But, That's life.

If you believe that Karma has a lot to do with the way deals go down, and how your life will turn out, then look out for wraiths, elves, trolls, faires, crucified zombies, and wizards, because they're lurking out there to tart your other future deals - beware, and wear your Talisman!!!

As for your goofy fender bolt, I've had great luck with PB Blaster - that spray that is incredible for nudging reluctant threads. Apply a few consecutive times, then let sit overnight, and you'll be released!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
If you believe that Karma has a lot to do with the way deals go down, and how your life will turn out, then look out for wraiths, elves, trolls, faires, crucified zombies, and wizards, because they're lurking out there to tart your other future deals - beware, and wear your Talisman!!!
Joker, The concept of Karma comes from the Hindu/Buddhism. They don't have all the creatures you've mentioned, in particular not in that context.. I think mixed up some Irish and Medieval myth..Oh well.

All I'm saying life seems to be working in cycles. We need to be fair to others all the time, even if others are not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So if I'm reading this right the owner told the NY kid "deal...come on down and get it", but then backed out?:thumbdown:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I'm reading this right the owner told the NY kid "deal...come on down and get it", but then backed out?:thumbdown:
I wasn't privy to that conversation. He had a buyer on the line willing to pay asking price and was willing to take a bus ride up from NY. Called him the day before and said sorry, someone came with a higher cash offer and a trailer.

Karma gets you nothing when selling something. Last time I held a vehicle for someone that "definitely wanted it", I passed on other offers and ended up getting stiffed.

If you want to be such a good person, then sell things how you want.

I'm sure you all pay full MSRP to the sales people at a car dealership too. They have to feed their families after all.

Give me an f'in break.

Yankees suck. Comedy, heard of it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts