StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. Not new to forums, but new here. Have purchased a 2012 DL1000 VStrom with 56K Kms for a very good price and out of Toronto Ontario. Heading home to visit family and friends at end August and picking the bike up at that time. Will be riding it back to Victoria, BC in early September. Looking forward to the ride, and think I'll be well versed with it by the time I return home to Victoria.

Bought the VStrom after a lot of research and discussion(s) with other riders, even those who do not own one. I test rode a 2018 DL1000 VStrom the other week and was impressed with the bike. I found some issues with it but it was a demo unit and these are not always a good fit for the rider.

I am a fan of Honda Goldwings, have 2, a 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (my retirement project) and 1995 GL1500 (for two up touring). Had an '08 GL1800, but have sold it.

The departure from the GW family, and into the sport adventure touring bike is a result of a lot of research and discussions as I mentioned. The 1000 VStrom has been purported as being somewhat of a dark horse that doesn't do anything great, but a whole lot very well, and this tweaked my interest.

I look forward to browsing the forum and learning about my new ride.

Cheers

Ernest Nash
Victoria BC

·
Registered
795 Posts
Welcome. I’m looking forward to your impressions of the Strom when you pick it up. Ontario to BC is enough of a ride to decide what you want to change.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. I’m looking forward to your impressions of the Strom when you pick it up. Ontario to BC is enough of a ride to decide what you want to change.
It may also be enough to bid it adieu, not likely though. The fellow that has it is 6'5" and 250 lbs, I'm 6'2 and 215 lbs. he modified it to suit his stature and installed some other items that made his riding more enjoyable.

Here is a short list of what he or the original owner installed (2 owner bike):

Sargeant touring seat for extra long days
Oxford heated grips and mirror extenders ,blindspot convex mirrors
Front peg lowering kit and bar risers for taller rider
Headlight/ highbeam re-wired and switch installed to run both lights at once with dual element bulbs
K&N air filter
New Iridium plugs
Givi Engine Guards
Madstad Engineering dark smoke windshield with madstad fully adjustable bracket
Givi full size 36 litre touring bag upgrade from lame football shaped useless stock bags
Tank bra tank protector
Only 1,000 kms on new Metzler tires installed last year

The stator was replaced in 2017 and the original RR was replaced with a more modern RR. Think it is still a shunt RR that I will replace with a series RR, should be a plug and play install.

Cheers

Ernest

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Do note it's Stromtrooper ....not the SS version ;)

Welcome

I just did the opposite ride in June - flew the bike to Calgary, rode to Vancouver then back to Toronto. Did the northern TransCanada and quite enjoyed it tho long days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do note it's Stromtrooper ....not the SS version ;)

Welcome

I just did the opposite ride in June - flew the bike to Calgary, rode to Vancouver then back to Toronto. Did the northern TransCanada and quite enjoyed it tho long days.
Yes, Canada is a nice ride, but it's a long way across. Did this trip last year on an '85 Honda GL1200 Limited Edition that I put back on the road after it had been in storage for four years. Sonya and I Just finished a trip to Dawson City return on my GL1500, 7300 Kms, nice ride but lots of distance between civilization.

If you did the northern Ontario route, you passed through a little town called Engleheart, south of Timmins. My family is 50 Kms east of this town towards the Quebec border in a town called Larder Lake.

I will be taking the northern route as well. Have to stop in Ottawa to see the daughter and son-in-law first.

Cheers

Ernest

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome aboard. I too would like to hear your thoughts about the bike once you have it home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts