StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Just traded out my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 for a 2007 V-Strom 650. Jumped from Star Trek to Star Wars ha.

I am located in Tampa, FL and this is my second bike.

I knew I wanted something more geared toward adventure. My Wee has about 26,000 miles on it. I have heard they make it to 100,000 regularly. Only issues I am seeing with the bike is it looks like there is a broken rear wheel sensor for the ABS (I think) and something happening with the electrical in the dash. The dash resets while riding, no issues with rideability though. Most likely a chaffed wire or short somewhere. While riding, the longest the dash went without resetting was about 15 minutes, but the clock did not reset over night at all. 馃

I am planning on doing a tune up this weekend. New oil, plugs, air filters, check the chain tension. Anything that I should be looking out for with these bikes? Any must have modifications?

It looks like they have added quite a bit to it already. It came with hard sided bags, fog lights (inoperable), a usb charger port/voltage regulator (inoperable I think(possibly stock)), Skid plate, engine guards, a sargent seat, and most importantly a stromtrooper sticker.

Thanks in advance for any help and nice to meet you all!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, gusbus.

For your electical/dash problem, you might check the big black rubber boot covering electrical connections on the left side front under the tupperware, it has been known to have some burned connections for some folks. Also, trace those electrical additions from the previous owner.

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Diagram

Registered
2020 V-strom 1050XT
Welcome, I'm down in North Port. I just joined the Strom club. you got some killer roads not far from you, in the Brooksville area. I bang around down in Arcadia up to Myakka city gas Station on Sunday mornings, it a cool place to meet fellow riders.

Registered
2013 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
You're bike has great farkles! You've got it all with the crash bars, skid plate, center stand, Sargent seat, etc! Electrical problems are a pain alright. My bike has some ropey wiring from the previous owner that worries me. Anyway, welcome to Stromtrooper and happy riding!

Premium Member
'20 DL1050XT Adventure
Hey Gusbus, former Floridian here
Welcome to the forum. This is a great site, so indulge daily. Beautiful bike; love the color. If you suspect gremlins, may I suggest finding someone reputable to go through the electrics before going out on adventure. I鈥檓 sure they are small, but the peace of mind will do you good. 100k + on these bikes are easily done, so no worries there.
The Strom is a faithful mount that will always beckon you to ride farther. Get used to it.

Registered
Welcome to the forum! Yes, they'll go 100K miles easily, I have 101K miles. I hope you get you're electrical issues sorted out. Speaking of, these bikes are known to have stators that fail prematurely, a volt meter will let you monitor your charging system. Also headlights are also known to fail due to excessive voltage running through the starter switch, the fix for this (before it happens) is a headlight relay available through Eastern Beaver. Other than that they'll run forever with basic maintenance.

Reactions: gusbus

Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum, gusbus.

For your electical/dash problem, you might check the big black rubber boot covering electrical connections on the left side front under the tupperware, it has been known to have some burned connections for some folks. Also, trace those electrical additions from the previous owner.

View attachment 294369
I am going to be doing a big inspection/maintenance this weekend. Take off all the fairings and look over everything. I have seen that the are you mentioned on the left side is a common issue for the electrical. I do not think it is anything major, probably just a loose connector.

Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome, I'm down in North Port. I just joined the Strom club. you got some killer roads not far from you, in the Brooksville area. I bang around down in Arcadia up to Myakka city gas Station on Sunday mornings, it a cool place to meet fellow riders.
Thanks for the welcome! What kind of roads are down that way? On the last bike I usually went North to try and find some twisties and kept running into gravel roads, which made me want and ADV bike.

Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum! Yes, they'll go 100K miles easily, I have 101K miles. I hope you get you're electrical issues sorted out. Speaking of, these bikes are known to have stators that fail prematurely, a volt meter will let you monitor your charging system. Also headlights are also known to fail due to excessive voltage running through the starter switch, the fix for this (before it happens) is a headlight relay available through Eastern Beaver. Other than that they'll run forever with basic maintenance.
I was planning on converting to LED all the way around. Not sure if that will still be an issue or not.

Premium Member
I am going to be doing a big inspection/maintenance this weekend. Take off all the fairings and look over everything. I have seen that the are you mentioned on the left side is a common issue for the electrical. I do not think it is anything major, probably just a loose connector.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Diagram

Registered
Welcome and yes it is a great bike. I have 2008 with 60,000 miles and looking for 100. The Sargent seat is long haul comfortable. Footpeg lowering kits from Adventure Tech relax the knee a little for more comfort.
The Eastern Beaver headlight relay should be done, the starter button is the only thing that has gone wrong with mine. The relay prevents this.

With the age, maybe check the rubber cush drive on rear sprocket hub. They shrink with age and can be either shimmed with pieces of silicone baking mat or replaced.

Oh and the marks on my swingarm for adjusting chain are off so you may want to align chain visually.

Registered
Hey Guys, Just traded out my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 for a 2007 V-Strom 650. Jumped from Star Trek to Star Wars ha.

I am located in Tampa, FL and this is my second bike.

I knew I wanted something more geared toward adventure. My Wee has about 26,000 miles on it. I have heard they make it to 100,000 regularly. Only issues I am seeing with the bike is it looks like there is a broken rear wheel sensor for the ABS (I think) and something happening with the electrical in the dash. The dash resets while riding, no issues with rideability though. Most likely a chaffed wire or short somewhere. While riding, the longest the dash went without resetting was about 15 minutes, but the clock did not reset over night at all. 馃

I am planning on doing a tune up this weekend. New oil, plugs, air filters, check the chain tension. Anything that I should be looking out for with these bikes? Any must have modifications?

It looks like they have added quite a bit to it already. It came with hard sided bags, fog lights (inoperable), a usb charger port/voltage regulator (inoperable I think(possibly stock)), Skid plate, engine guards, a sargent seat, and most importantly a stromtrooper sticker.

Thanks in advance for any help and nice to meet you all! View attachment 294366
I have a 2008 with 55,000 on it and just love the bike.

The one mod that I would seriously consider is the suspension. The stock suspension for me was too light for my size (250+ lbs with gear). I had the bike fitted with Race Tech springs and gold valve emulators on the front and a Nitron shock on the rear and it made just a world of difference in handling and comfort.

Enjoy your new ride!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts