StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 650. The current tires don't need replacing yet, but I want to start researching a bit now so I'm ready when the time comes.

I want to go on some unpaved roads, but it won't be a lot of my riding at first (hence "95/5"). But I would like my next tires to at least be a little forgiving off pavement, 'cause all my riding to date has been paved only.

From what reading I've done, it looks like the most popular/"best" not-super-expensive options would be Shinko 705 or Avon TrailRider (AV53/54). Pros/cons/thoughts?

For reference, I'm in Los Angeles, so don't have to worry much about rain. I'm the heavier sort (260 lb.), but not doing any big tours or carrying any big loads just yet.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
For what you seek, the 705 is a good choice, imo. I have around 70k miles on a number of sets, and have not found a need to try something else.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Shop online as well as at dealer AND independent shops local to you. The dealer and indie shop might attempt to steer you away from the Shinkos. But if they do give you a price, make sure it is out the door.

When I bought my 705s, I called a few indie shops in my area for a price to install the tires with wheels off the bike. The shop owner I chose told me how crappy Shinkos are and gave me a brief Chen Sheng history. Meh, I didn't care, just mount the damn tires. When I left, he quoted me a lower price for the tires than I got them online. So next time I'll shop him, too, despite his anti-Shinko stance.

BTW, he tried to steer me to a major tire, Dunlop, I think, claiming they were such a better tire, blah, blah, blah. Do your research, take what a dealer will say with a grain of salt, and ride till the wheels go square.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
It really depends on what off paved surface you are riding 5% of the time. Groomed stone roads, mud, sand, water?? If riding groomed stone fire break roads any tire even 100% street tire will work okay. If riding in mud/sand you'll need an open lug pattern so it either self cleans (mud) or moves product (sand).

I run Battalax T30's and only very rarely find myself on groomed fire break roads and move right along with no issues. I personally would not take the DL on anything more aggressive than the fire break roads as it is heavy and I have other lighter bikes that work so much better.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really depends on what off paved surface you are riding 5% of the time. Groomed stone roads, mud, sand, water?? If riding groomed stone fire break roads any tire even 100% street tire will work okay. If riding in mud/sand you'll need an open lug pattern so it either self cleans (mud) or moves product (sand).
Right now, I suspect far more likely groomed stone or gravel roads, not mud or sand. That might change the more I explore, but right now it's a safe bet. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mitas E-07

I find the standard tyres when purchased to be quite "iffy" on anything except dry bitumen. Even gravel driveways can be "interesting".

I fitted Mitas E-07s to my 2012 DL650 after the originals wore down - that was just over 20 000 km (12 000 miles). I found the Mitas E-07s to have excellent grip on dry sealed roads, good grip on formed roads (dirt, clay, gravel) and good grip on sand. They had a life of 25 000 km (about 15 000 miles).

The only places I found them lacking was on wet tram (streetcar) tracks and on roadworks where smooth clay had been watered (where i was riding on a wing and a prayer as I found it to be worse than wet glass).

I haven't tried others to compare as I was very satisfied. Currently I'm trying to wear out the originals on my 2015 DL650.

Doug

Reactions: Brockie

·
Administrator
5,745 Posts
I also have Mitas E-07's and I would caution you away from 90/10 tyres even if you rarely go off seal (there are no 95/5's).

The fact is that the V-Strom is a relatively top heavy bike and a novice might find the tendency of 90/10 tyres to move about on loose surfaces more than a little disconcerting. Better to consider something "acceptable" on seal that also gives you confidence when on gravel and dirt. After all, that is where a novice really needs the extra stability while learning how to coax a heavy bike across a loose surface.

I'd recommend that you spend some time looking back through the various impressions and write-ups on this forum. Look for people whose riding is similar to your own and see what they ended up happy with.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like the battlewings, they are OEM on the 1000. Pilot road 4's are good as well but they are really pricey.
The current front tire is a Battlewing. Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have Mitas E-07's and I would caution you away from 90/10 tyres even if you rarely go off seal (there are no 95/5's).
Yup, that's why I put it in quotes. :)

The fact is that the V-Strom is a relatively top heavy bike and a novice might find the tendency of 90/10 tyres to move about on loose surfaces more than a little disconcerting. Better to consider something "acceptable" on seal that also gives you confidence when on gravel and dirt. After all, that is where a novice really needs the extra stability while learning how to coax a heavy bike across a loose surface.

I'd recommend that you spend some time looking back through the various impressions and write-ups on this forum. Look for people whose riding is similar to your own and see what they ended up happy with.
Excellent points. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
389 Posts
I really like the battlewings, they are OEM on the 1000. Pilot road 4's are good as well but they are really pricey.

+1 on the battlewings. I really like mine.

Reactions: robertyknwt

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm a novice rider (1.5 yrs' 15k miles) and I mounted a set of the E07's on my Wee for the trip to Alaska this summer. They were confidence inspiring and I rode the Top of the World Highway on them.

Before I installed these riding on gravel was squirrelly at best on my Tourance Next tires. Granted, experience goes a long way, but they handle the fire roads really well. Even with 9k miles on them.

They are spendy though, so I just picked up a pair of shinko 705s that I will mount this spring after the E07s wear out.

The E07s are quite noisy on the highway at around 60mph. So if that's what you cruise at, but a box of earplugs.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a novice rider (1.5 yrs' 15k miles) and I mounted a set of the E07's on my Wee for the trip to Alaska this summer. They were confidence inspiring and I rode the Top of the World Highway on them.
I actually lived half my life in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada; the vanity plates I ordered for my bike will say "YKNWT". :) When I have the time, I will definitely be riding up to my old stompin' grounds, which includes roads that are probably very similar to the Top of the World Highway, like the Dempster Highway and the new all-weather road to Tuktoyaktuk. (I've been to Tuk many times, but back in the 1970s; would love to go back for a visit by road!) So this is great to hear!

I only just "got" today that there are two different flavours of E07, the "regular" E07 and the E07 Dakar. Which did you use for that trip? And how are they on regular pavement (other than being noisy at 60 mph)?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Before leaving on our DeadHorse trip we all four put on a set of Tourance .While the Vstrom is not a great off road they did feel better than the factory tires in the over 900 miles of gravel on that 10,300 trip. We all had all our camp gear etc. with no chase. The two 1000s had to stop in Sturgis on way back down for new rears.Both our 650s made it back with well worn rear but front still good.At 59,000 now have stayed with Tourance. Some in the bunch have went to other higher mile and better off road.In ride trades they do not feel as good on black top and make a lot of racket.I do not go looking for dirt and gravel the way some of them do so OK for me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good a place to post this as any, so after 3 rear 705's and the same front 705/ still on, when these things are replaced, it will be with Tourance, front and back. I'm tired of that HOWLING front tire. And believe me, it's the only reason I'm switching back. No complaints other than the howling. And I do wear ear protection/ear buds with music and traveling around the country, it's amazing how much I end up in the howling zone.

Reactions: robertyknwt
1 - 20 of 20 Posts