StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I bought my first dual sport.

Picked up a 2007 vstrom with 24K miles on it (39,000KM).

The guy I bought it off of was pretty religious about maintenance but he was the second owner so I have no idea how the first owner treated it. The previous owner did confirm that the valves have not been checked.

At that kind of mileage is there anything I should be looking at besides the usual suspects?

My hit list right now is:

- New tires
- New brake pads
- Oil & filter change
- Flush coolant
- Flush brake fluid
- Normal lever adjustments / miscellaneous checks
- Possibly new chain / sprockets - still seem to have some life in them

Other than that what else should I be doing? Should I have the valves checked? I'm not much of a wrench and can handle the basic stuff (listed above) by myself (except for the tires). How much labour involved is there in getting a shop to check the valves?

Is there anything else I should have them look at?

Darryl

·
Registered
314 Posts
You must have bought Moontune's bike from Fergus. Damn I wanted that Sargent seat.

If the valves have not been checked at all, I would get them done. I know a great guy here in Guelph that will take care of you and not overcharge you. PM me if you want his contact info.

Other than that, maybe plugs, air filter and what you mentioned. Fairly easy to do yourself, but if you are getting the vales checked you might as well have the plugs done at the same time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just know him as Tony but I did get the bike in Fergus :)

Plugs and air filter were just done so I'm good there.

Since I'm getting the tires done I'll probably get the wheel bearings done at the same time and other than that should be good.

Yeah it did come with a sargent seat (one of the reasons I got it).

The price was pretty reasonable considering the extras he had on the bike.

Now just have to add the finishing touches and get ready for the florida keys journey in June :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts