StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just picked up a 2007 DL1000 with 19k miles. Bike is in good shape, but ridden.

I have been lurking for a few months, and I THINK I know all the normal stuff that gets dealt with, but what I dont know is...

1. what order to do things in?
2. what to do WHILE you are doing one thing (IE, what to go ahead and do while the tank is off for air filter change, etc)
3. anything you would recommend I look for, change, swap right off the bat.

I can tell you that its in need of TBS because it literally acts like it wants to die or running out of gas sometimes if I am below 4k. I have owned an SV1000S, so I am familiar with the surging issues (power commander is coming) but the issue I am feeling on this bike HAS to be TBS.

previous owner was a good guy, and seemed knowledgeable...but definitely told me it was time for some maintenance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you plan on doing your own maintenance, I'd get hold of the service manual. It's a great resource with step-by-step instructions and the complete maintenance table. I don't know that I do things in a certain order.

For the first maintenance, I'd simply assume that none was ever done, i. e. do all services specified and inspect/clean/change everything.

When my DL650 was new, I tried a lot to optimize things ("do this while you do this"). But eventually, I got in the habit of simply taking off the fairing every 3,750 miles (the standard maintenance interval). You think it's a hassle, but after a while you'll do it in minutes, and it facilitates access to so many things that I never even start working on the bike while the fairing is on.

If you stick to the service manual and change/clean your air filter every 3,750 miles, you'll have to do that anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the service manual.

My plan is in this order.

1. replacing the tires (myself) with some barely used TKC80s that came with the bike (bike also came with a brand new set of maxxis detours) - current tires are toast - also replace stock wheel bearings with sealed bearings (cuz PO told me to, and already gave me new sealed bearings)

2. change oil (duh)

3. replace filter (should I go bmc or stay with stock - PC3 and dual leo vinces coming soon)

4. TBS with homeade yard stick/tubing

5. replace plugs

thoughts? additions? order seem ok? anything I should do at the same time?

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
The service manual and this forum are your friends.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Valve checks are at 15,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, valve check is overdue, and if you have the Service Manual, why not just work through the complete list -- I copy it below for reference.

In terms of order, you want the entire engine to be in perfect shape before doing the TBS. That would include:

• Air cleaner element -- Replace
  • Valve clearance -- Inspect
  • Spark plugs -- Replace
  • Engine oil -- Replace
  • Engine oil filter -- Replace
  • Idle speed -- Inspect
  • PAIR (air supply) system -- Inspect
  • then, finally: Throttle valve synchronization -- Inspect
Then, the Service Manual calls for a few time-based services -- some argue those intervals are too cautious (and I never changed the radiator hoses on mine, but wouldn't take risks with brake or fuel lines):
  • Engine coolant -- Replace (2 yrs)
  • Radiator hoses -- Replace (4 yrs)
  • Brake fluid -- Replace (2 yrs)
  • Brake hose -- Replace (4 yrs)
  • Fuel line -- Replace (4 yrs)
Finally, the Service Manual calls for a number of routine tasks:
  • Throttle cable play -- Inspect
  • Clutch -- Inspect
  • Brakes -- Inspect
  • Drive chain -- Inspect
  • Tire Front -- Inspect
  • Tire Rear -- Inspect
  • Steering -- Inspect
  • Front forks -- Inspect
  • Rear suspension -- Inspect
  • Exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts -- Tighten
  • Chassis bolts and nuts -- Tighten
I'd certainly check the bolts if you're not sure that that has ever been done. You'll always find a few that move a bit.

Admittedly, it's more fun working through that list during the winter time and not at the height of summer... ;-)

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
So, just picked up a 2007 DL1000 with 19k miles. Bike is in good shape, but ridden.
Congratulations on your purchase! I should tell you that, a Strom with 19,000 miles on it, is a bike that has rarely left the garage!

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
it, is a bike that has rarely left the garage!

I like your attitude! Alas since I bought my Wee, the beemer languishes.:yikes:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Congrats on the bike, diesel.

You know that there is an entire sub-forum on this board for those in the Great State? Tons of wee/vee owners near you. Post up there and try to arrange a get-together...a tech day is one of the best events to get to really know your bike.

Of course, you have an advantage with your previous SV knowledge. These bikes have great motors and will treat you well, but it helps to know the particulars.

See if you can latch up with other strommers in the area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So valve adjust is added to the list. And it looks like the front sprocket and chain could be replaced as well. I have read soooo many threads of prefered gear setups, so I wont even ask!

about the bearings though....yall think switching to enclosed bearings is a good idea? makes sense logically to me....I had a bearing lock up on my ktm due to sand and grime getting in during a long dirty ride....not fun.

·
Administrator
17,222 Posts
Congrats on the bike, diesel.

You know that there is an entire sub-forum on this board for those in the Great State? Tons of wee/vee owners near you. Post up there and try to arrange a get-together...a tech day is one of the best events to get to really know your bike.

Of course, you have an advantage with your previous SV knowledge. These bikes have great motors and will treat you well, but it helps to know the particulars.

See if you can latch up with other strommers in the area.
Hope you are making plans to come to my Laborday rally!!!!!!!:yesnod:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Checkin my dance card, now brutha!

Is Glen hosting again?? I'm amazed his wife doesn't just book an Alaskan cruise over that weekend to be as far away from us clowns as possible!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts