StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just became the owner of a not-quite brand new 2011 wee. Bike was purchased in April, owner laid just under 4000 miles on it, and now "just doesn't want it" anymore.

Owner says he followed the scheduled maintenance per the book, but had no paperwork to show for it.

Brakes, tires, and all other fluids look exactly as I'd expect for a bike thats only been on the road for ~3 months now. Chain looks perfect, has no signs of stretch, and a fresh coat of lube on it.

I'm thinking an oil & filter swap immediately.. 'cause, well, seems like cheap 'n easy insurance. Can't imagine I have to do much else to it, no?

Thanks, from a new wee'er.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That and checking for loose fasteners is all I would do if there are no signs of damage.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ride that sucker!

seriously. not much to do. The oil/filter change certainly won't hurt anything. Then ride and find out what cool stuff you want to add! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i recently bought an 07 wee with 8000 miles on it. i just changed the oil, charged the battery, and checked all critical components (brakes, tires, chain, etc.) and away i went. almost 2000 miles and all is good. all i have done is keep adding more farkles, and making a list of future farkles too!

enjoy it! as i believe someone has said before, the only problem i have had with my wee is trying to find more time to ride it!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Check chain tension, tire pressure.

Filter is only changed every third change, but most change it on first oil change.

Maybe get some engine guards on it if you are going off pavement.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all.

~3k miles is outside of break-in, no? Worth running a particular way for a few k just in case? Or are those rings already set as best as they ever will?

Filter every 3rd? Sweet. That'll save a few bux.

Oh, I should add, it is already equipped with a crash bar and a couple other goodies. No under carriage protection though. And no bags, which will be the first really big hurdle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless you know the PO never had the air filter box messed with, I think I'd have to look into it to see if it has a gasket under the stock filter cartridge. (Or have a K&N in it's place).

Just to be sure from the start.

Dave

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
what to do first

get the bike setup ergonomicly for you

adjust the mirrors, do you need wideners? handlebar rise/pullback, adjust angle of levers, etc.

ride it and determine what YOU need to make it the way YOU want it

first thing I did.. added heated grips, wouldn't own a bike without them, once you havem, you wonder how you ever did without, mine get used in summer more than winter, cool evenings or mornings when you have yer thinest gloves, or in the rain, yer hands might get wet, at least they'll be warm

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree with the ergonomic fit, especially if you're tall. I am tall and I enhanced my bike's fit with a taller seat and lower pegs.
After that its just a matter of adding the items you need on your usual rides. DL's seem to be VERY reliable and low maintenence.
If you tour a lot you might consider a larger windscreen. That's about it!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all.

I'll look into the air filter bit. Is this a known issue or something? Looks like my bandit in that I have to remove the tank to get to the air filter, no?

Re: Ergos. Gonna ride the bike this way for a bit before I do anything. At this point I might have 40 miles on it. So far I think I might want a different seat and a slightly taller/wider screen. And I might read up on new handlebar mounts to better isolate the bars. But I need a bit more time in the saddle before I am ready to buy.

The mirrors are fine, so far.
Love the reach to the bars and the location of the pegs.
And I like the instruments too; speedo is really easy to read.

I do really want side cases for this thing. Want to be able to bring some stuff with me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Oil & filter are great ideas. Then ride it!:beatnik:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here's a list of some farkles that I've found useful, I stay on paved roads mostly.

K&N air filter
Shindengen FH012AA regulator/rectifier
MadStad windshield bracket
Larger Givi windshield
Givi top and side cases
Heated grips
Hand guards
30mm handlebar risers
Koubalink to lower motorcycle 1 1/8
Mirror extenders
Fenda Extenda
Gel seat
Fork Brace from [email protected]
Center stand
Eastern Beaver H4 Dual Headlight relay kit
Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Solution fuse panel kit
12V socket
17 front sprocket
There is also an oil filter adapter that allows Purolator Pure One PL14610
to be used... Bales Technical Service Oil Filter Adaptor

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
//
Oh, I should add, it is already equipped with a crash bar and a couple other goodies. No under carriage protection though. And no bags, which will be the first really big hurdle.
You might speak to the guys who run Micatech. They make some really nice side-opening bags in Hillsborough, NH and may be willing to give you a locals-only deal. Nice folks. I'd already bought my Jesse's or they'd have been a great choice. Not cheap, though, even with a deal, but resale value is also great. I loaned them my old bike for fitting and pictures.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen your posts on those. They look great. But I think they'd have to be giving me one helluva discount to make my price point. Plus I think those are a little large for me. I was thinking something more plastic/highway/consumer-esque. Probably givis. We'll see. Would love to buy local though.

Ordered a cheap tank bag and some grip puppies this AM to hold me over. The grip puppies were very strongly recommended by some friends; said they'd help with the bar vibes. For $10 shipped it seemed like a reasonable gamble.

Tank bag:

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1 on the fork brace. if there isn't already one on there
Agree! The Fork-brace should be one of your first items. It really tightens up the front-end and nearly eliminates sidewind blowing you around on highway.

Mind how you install fork-brace. Do not forget to loosen front wheel 1st to allow brace to 'align' things without binding in the fork tubes as they move.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alright, alright! Just paypal'ed Rick. Forkbrace and mirror extenders ordered. Thanks for the tips all.

I assume there are installation instructions packaged with?! Or can someone point me to some threads?

Really shocked at how quickly I'm feeling at home on this thing. The throttle and clutch are a little twitchy. Hopefully I will adapt. But otherwise its a helluva nicely balanced machine. Usetah have a Bandit 1200. Don't miss the extra power 'round town, only on the super slab.

The old backpack bungied to the rear deck is working for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, ride it until you figure out what exactly what you want to do it!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unless you know the PO never had the air filter box messed with, I think I'd have to look into it to see if it has a gasket under the stock filter cartridge. (Or have a K&N in it's place).
So can someone tell me what this is about? I'm striking out searching. I pulled my bike apart tonight to inspect my air cleaner. Now I remember why I don't like bikes with plastic!

At any rate. My air cleaner has no gasket under the cartridge that I can see. The filter does have a metal screen on one side and a large plastic portion around the edges of it, like it is part of a plastic plate. The edge of the plastic has a rubber gasket of sorts that seems to make everything sealed air tight. There is also a foam filter membrane of some sort stuffed into a pocket on the side of the airbox. I presume this is some sort of crankcase breather or something. Although that is a guess.

I took photos and will upload if it comes to it.

Any chance this part was changed on later (ie 2011) bikes?

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The rubber around the edge is the gasket. If the gasket was missing, the edge would be hard plastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts