StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I just bought an 02 Vee with 7800 miles on it, I plan on using it for a long trip in a few weeks, and I was wondering what you think I ought to do/check to make sure it will make it through the trip.

What I have so far:
1. New tires (ordered)
2. Oil Change
3. Coolant change
4. Check on and lubricate chain

What else do you experts suggest? I am new to newer bikes.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would add bleed brakes and clutch and then do an overall bolt check on everything possible. Next would be clean the chain with kerosene, adjust and lube. After that it would be air filter and running some FI cleaner thru it. Try to put 2-300 miles on it closer to home before venturing out too far. Congrats on the new to you low mileage Vee...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
5. Upgrade suspension - Sonic springs up front, Sasquatch rebuild out back. Might not be time before your trip, but it's worth mentioning.

Only 7,800 miles in 9 years? :yikes:

What kind of soulless freak only rides a bike less than 1,000 miles a year? :confused:

Make sure you install new valve stems along with the tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys.
Any must have Farkles? I am going to ride it from DC to Indianapolis for MotoGP in a few weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Make sure you have a really good tool kit.
Make sure you have a way of fixing flats roadside.
Make sure you have roadside coverage and decent insurance.
Make sure you have adequate riding gear.
Consider fuel range and spare gas can / container.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
order

Do the FI cleaner, then the oil change, as the cleaner can contaminate the oil. I'd flush out the brake and clutch fluid if it is the least bit yellow or cloudy, and lubricate the various pivot points while I was at it. Unless you know the battery is relatively new, I'd change it. With any used Vee, it is a good idea to check the gasket on the air filter, as owners and shop mechanics have been known to change the filter and not install the gasket, which will leak crud into your engine. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the boots and clamps on the throttle bodies, as they are also known to shift over time, and an air leak there will give some peculiar engine behavior. And very definitely, after all the work is done, put on as much mileage close to home as you can before hitting the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan

Ok, My plan is as follows:
New tires by friday, FI cleaner in tank, change clutch and brake fluid, adjust chain, clean chain, ride lots over ther weekend (200-400 miles), change oil.

Farkle.

Ride lots next weekend.

Farkle.

Ride to Moto GP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts