StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to take ownership of a 2012 DL650A with 29,000 miles on it. I figure 6-7 year old bike ridden about 6-7000 miles per year isn't a big deal with these bikes. I'm buying from a dealer so there aren't any records aside from speaking with the PO over the phone. Stator recall and valves were checked at 21,000 miles. Bike looks clean and comes with all the farkles I would do along with an Ohlins shock. Lowered pegs, Top box in addition to the Suzuki cases, gel seat, ROX risers, heated grips. I'm told we're similar in stature but the bike is set up for a 225lbs. I weigh 190so I'm sure some suspension adjustment is needed. Here in NY you can't necessarily get a test ride but I do have a 30 day warranty. I've owned a 2011 650 and a 2014 V2 so I'm familiar with the Vstrom. I'm having the dealership do an oil change but thats all they're offering. Fluid in brake master cylinder looks clear and the bike started right up and sounded great. No ticking, tapping, or anything audible. I'm replacing rear tire with a Pilot 4 to match the front Pilot 4 which looks fine. Anything I'm missing before committing to buy?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Sounds like it’s been well cared for. As you know the Vstrom is a very reliable bike. Miles are not a concern as long as it has been maintained. I have a 2012 as well. Only thing I can suggest is check to see if a longer front brake line was installed when the risers were added. I know you can’t put 2” risers on without causing issues. Good luck and ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alas, it’s the black one. Anyone have any ideas how to spruce up the black plastic pieces. Looking a bit tired.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not looking to paint the plastics, just looking for an excellent cleaning/preservative to refresh 7 years of riding.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Although this bike needs very little maintenance, it does need to be cared for.

That the valve check was done is a very good sign. I know many people feel that since the valves very often don't need any adjustment for tens of thousands of miles, it is perfectly okay to skip this check.

And actually, that has been true for my bike, (valves checked at 15,000 and at 30,000 miles with no adjustments needed.) But, I'll keep checking them and I personally wouldn't buy a used bike that had never had the valve check done.

................shu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts