StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 wee strom. I Just picked this up the other day. What I know is that the abs has been bypassed by the dealer. Past that....64k on the clock

What should I be looking at for maintenance aside from getting the clearances checked?

Happy trails rack and panniers, progressive suspension, superbrace, givi tail trunk, cee Bailey windscreen, heated grips, throttlemeister, pyramid fender extender, sw motech engine guards, and plenty more like The touratech kickstand plate adapter

I got what I think is a very good deal, at a dealership, so I am cautiously happy at the moment

Who knows. Maybe the previous owner is still on here looking at this thread. If u r please fill me in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The information that you have provided, does not explain enough as to why you may think that the ABS may have been bypassed? Any FI code or warning light displayed, either stationary or while riding? Have you checked whether the ABS fuse has been pulled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn’t necessarily asking for abs information. That was more just stating how it came to me when I purchased it. I will look further into that part later.

I am more along the lines of asking about general items I should be looking at and addressing for the age and mileage of the bike such as the valve clearances and wear components

Thank you

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I assume there's no maintenance records from the previous owner. The typical thing to do would be to replace all fluids if the dealer hasn't done so. Check radiator hoses for drying and cracking, take a peak at the brake pads and air filter, look for kinks in the chain. Put a meter on the battery, it should hold a charge between 12.5 - 12.8 volts, it could be the original battery, my '09 is still running on the original, I want to replace it before it dies. Check valves.

You may want to get an Eastern Beaver headlight relay. A typical problem is the headlights stop working because of too much voltage going through the starter button. Easy install, it won't fix the problem, it prevents it from happening, so don't wait. Stators have been known to fail, some very early and some never. My '09 has 75K miles and hasn't given me any problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent information there. Thank you

Eastern beaver headlight. Copy that

The po did mark generic maintenance on a piece of tape and then affixed to the underside of the pannier lids. So if I am believing that information I have a fresh oil change and new tires and more

Valve clearances were not marked so I know they’ll get done. Eastern beaver headlight now, front and rear wheel bearings.

I’ll have a list made up and start cracking on it

Thanks for the help so far folks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. So I will do more looking then tomorrow to see what is there and isn’t as far as upgrades. I don’t believe the po was shy about modding and adding farkles when he owned it. That’s partly the reason I bought it. Who knows. Maybe the eastern beaver relay kit is already done??? I’ll know tomorrow

I will add a volt meter with a usb, as the current charging port that is on it I have no idea what it charges. I’ll add a pic and hopefully you guys can tell me. Maybe a heated gear port or the like. I have no idea

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like maybe an upgraded seat too! I previously had an '06 Wee, and your seat looks much better than the stocker I had. Possibly a Corbin? In any event, you have a well farkled bike with many miles left on it. It is a nice looking rig; you will get many miles of service out of it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Definitely an upgraded seat. I have an 07 Wee for 4 years now. THe longest I"ve ever ridden the same bike. The only common potential issue I've encountered is the idle solenoid, which typically craps out around 20-30k miles. You're well beyond that so it should be fine, or already replaced. No big deal. The stator becomes an issue starting on 08 models as the output is higher. The 07 is usually ok. No other problems. The engine is noisy, as they all are. The Wee tends to use a little oil if consistently ridden at high speed (over 70mph). This is normal. The above advice is excellent but this is a bike capable of exceeding 100,000 mile with regular maintenance.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks like maybe an upgraded seat too! I previously had an '06 Wee, and your seat looks much better than the stocker I had. Possibly a Corbin? In any event, you have a well farkled bike with many miles left on it. It is a nice looking rig; you will get many miles of service out of it.
If you prefer a stock,oem seat, I could trade you one off my 06? It's like sitting on a cloud!! >:)

Kidding, stock seat will eat your azz and send you home in misery! lol You lucked out! That one looks nice!

Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
Okay. So I will do more looking then tomorrow to see what is there and isn’t as far as upgrades. I don’t believe the po was shy about modding and adding farkles when he owned it. That’s partly the reason I bought it. Who knows. Maybe the eastern beaver relay kit is already done??? I’ll know tomorrow

I will add a volt meter with a usb, as the current charging port that is on it I have no idea what it charges. I’ll add a pic and hopefully you guys can tell me. Maybe a heated gear port or the like. I have no idea
That looks like a Powerlet socket. It's much better mousetrap than the old cigarette type socket, but Powerlet went out of business. Fortunatly(or maybe why) they have been copied and there are several aftermarket sockets and adapters available. My bike has one on it and I bought a dual USB/voltage indicator for it...like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-2-USB-Charger-Adapter-LED-Voltmeter-Powerlet-For-BMW-Din-Hella-Plug/192533201990?epid=23019107950&hash=item2cd3df8446:g:P2AAAOSwXyla8BV~&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true

Just plug it into that port and off you go........

Here are a few of the accessories that plug into that outlet(the plugs that have the round brass contacts all the way around):
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=powerlet&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha. Thanks guys n gals. He farkles/accessories were half the reasoning for buying the bike. I couldn’t buy the accessories new for what I gave for all of it. Corbin is a very good seat. I have two of them for my concours 1000. Stock seat. Ehh. 1 hour. Aftermarket Corbin and I can go on a tour and be happy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alrighty. Well. So far, at least to me it seems, the fuel mileage isn’t up to par. I know it’s loaded with happy trails panniers and a top box and I also know that I’m always against a good side or head wind but I’d like to think I should still be better than 41mpg. Thoughts???

·
Registered
688 Posts
So, you have a corrected speedo, yes? If you're going over 65 mph with bags 41 mph isn't far off. Aerodynamically speaking, the back of a motorcycle is very "Dirty." Having that stuff on the rear takes mpg away.
Also, most of these will start consuming oil when riding at "Higher" speeds. It's an issue with the crankcase ventilation not being able to keep up, so it gets sucked into the intake. This too is normal. Watch your oil level.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. Always above 65mph. Generally all my riding is interstate so approximate speed will be around 75mph. I’ll keep an eye on the oil level then. Thank you

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
With the stock sprocket setup 15/47, above 6K rpm my early model Wee starts to be come thirsty. Changing to a 16/45 setup helps keep the rpm down while sitting at the same speed as the stock setup. Have a look at https://www.gearingcommander.com for more info on the rpm with the different sprocket setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s possible then that I may have a sprocket change already done. I only see about 54-5500 rpm @75mph

1 - 20 of 21 Posts