StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I move into my new house on 2/2 in Aurora. I am coming from Florida an bringing my Vee and Street Triple. What/where are some good day trip rides from the house? I am looking for both on road and off road (V-strom w/ knobbies friendly)

I have ridden Pike's Peak and Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango

·
Registered
8 Posts
First let me state that I do not know the author or receive any money from this book.
The best source for riding in Colorado that I know of is the book "The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado" by Steve Farson at Whitehorse Press. It shows routes for road and dual sport with complete descriptions and things to see along the way. I use it all the time. I am in no way trying to sell or profit from this book just letting you know about a very good resource.

Rob

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome!

We take good riding for granted here sometimes: Colorado has world class motorcycling, no doubt. None of this list are secret; they are well known roads, enjoyed by many. They may be somewhat crowded at 11:30 Saturday mornings- go during the week, or get up a little earlier to ride with less traffic.

This will get you started for pavement. There are a number of parallel canyons (East-West) in the Front Range for half - 3/4 day rides. Many of them can be connected on the West side by the Peak-to Peak Highway (CO 119/CO72) for very nice loop trips:

Clear Creek Canyon (US 6)
Golden Gate Canyon
Coal Creek Canyon (CO 72)
Boulder Canyon (CO 119)
Left Hand Canyon
South Saint Vrain Canyon (CO 7)
North Saint Vrain Canyon (US 36)
Big Thompson Canyon (US 34)
Rist Canyon
Poudre Canyon (CO 14)

Allow an hour or so to get the mouths of these canyons. We're having a low snow year here, but sand and icy corners are common and should have you either riding very carefully as you gain altitude or, better yet, waiting until late May to start exploring them.

For the secret roads......start exploring, turn off on that dirt road just because "I wonder what's back in there?"

To get your motorcycling fix in the winter, head east, north or south from Aurora. Lots of interesting country out on the Great Plains, good 2 lane paved and lots of long dirt roads.

Have fun..........shu

Attachments

·
Registered
3,133 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I move into my new house on 2/2 in Aurora. I am coming from Florida an bringing my Vee and Street Triple. What/where are some good day trip rides from the house? I am looking for both on road and off road (V-strom w/ knobbies friendly)

I have ridden Pike's Peak and Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango
Welcome to Colorado. I too live in South East Aurora.Tower and Hampden Get with me and I can show you around as soon as the snow melts. I am retired and can ride any day during the week. may be we could meet up for cup of coffee this week.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to Colorado. I too live in South East Aurora.Tower and Hampden Get with me and I can show you around as soon as the snow melts. I am retired and can ride any day during the week. may be we could meet up for cup of coffee this week.
Chuck, I'm headed to Cripple Creek and Guffey on Wednesday from Sedalia if you want to go. 60+ here and mid 40s in Cripple Creek.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Chuck, I'm headed to Cripple Creek and Guffey on Wednesday from Sedalia if you want to go. 60+ here and mid 40s in Cripple Creek.
What time to meet up at Sedalia? Any idea of the road conditions over rampart down Sprucewood and on to Deckers. How about up at Cripple Creek. I am too old to be riding Ice. Don't have the spikes on the bike yet. LOL

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya man. My house is at reservoir and Quincy so literally I think right up the street from you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
What time to meet up at Sedalia? Any idea of the road conditions over rampart down Sprucewood and on to Deckers. How about up at Cripple Creek. I am too old to be riding Ice. Don't have the spikes on the bike yet. LOL
Meeting at the sedalia railroad tracks at 10A. [39.436966, -104.962767] Will be riding with a guy on a Suzuki S50 so no dirt other than between sprucewood and the river. As far as the roads???? I don't know. We'll find out but I don't do ice either.....I'll do somewhat of a scout ride tomorrow into the hills.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Meeting at the sedalia railroad tracks at 10A. [39.436966, -104.962767] Will be riding with a guy on a Suzuki S50 so no dirt other than between sprucewood and the river. As far as the roads???? I don't know. We'll find out but I don't do ice either.....I'll do somewhat of a scout ride tomorrow into the hills.
Which set of tracks? Yes I will plan on riding at least some of the way as I need to get back mid afternoon. If I am there at 10 AM I ride if I am not, then you guys ride on. I will be on my red 2014 Wee.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey guys-

FYI Mountain road conditions as of this morning at 7:00AM:

I live in North Turkey Creek (near Conifer) at 7500 feet and the local roads around my house are still icy and snowpacked. Not rideable.

Highways are in good shape: US285 is dry and local connectors (like North Turkey Creek) are a bit dicy in shady spots. There is some ice in corners and places where you will find a dry wheel track between ice buildup.

I wouldn't trust that bit of gravel between Sprucewood and the S Platte River. I haven't been on it but I would guess it's snowpacked and icy in spots.

I would guess that Woodland Park-Deckers-Pine Junction is okay, probably with a fair amount of sand.

Good riding!

.....................shu

·
Registered
196 Posts
Road Update, 4:00 PM Tuesday: lots of melting today.

US285: dry

North Turkey Creek: rideable, some melting from the sides running across the road, may be some icy spots in the morning.

Neighborhood roads at 7500': wet and rideable.

Looks good for your ride, guys.

Have fun!............shu

·
Registered
346 Posts
I preran nighthawk and it's fine. 200' of snow pack total, all flat. Steep section was totally dry.

10am at the west train tracks in Sedalia or 11-11:30 at the woodland park Wendy's if anyone else wants to come.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts