StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the bike DL650, and the forum.:mod_sad:
Now I searched, I did, really! But cannot find a "How to" on changing the plugs. From the manual it looks like I pretty much have to dismantle half the bike to do it.
Was going to change plugs, air filter, coolant, and oil while it is all apart, just hoping there is an easier way to change the plugs without taking the rad off.
Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello it is a 2007abs. I swear it said to remove the rad for access to the front plug:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Using the toolkit spark plug wrench, the idea is to remove the lower radiator bolt and pivot the radiator away for access. Care needs to be taken not to bend fins or scrape hands. I only changed plugs once at the same time I did the valve clearance inspection. Removing the radiator is to way to go for doing that and access was easy. The stock plugs are good for over 20,000 miles. Replace them with iridiums and probably never change the plugs again. I really don't see a purpose in replacing plugs outside of valve clearance inspection times.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
If your '07 hasn't had the coolant renewed (or you don't know when) do that as part of the job.

You'll learn to cluster the jobs so you get the most done for the time you spend removing the plastic and the tank. Valve lash check, plugs, air filter, coolant, check the hoses for tightness, give everything a close look-over.

The iridium plugs don't work better than new copper plugs, but they work like new for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I'm with Greywolf and PTrider. I changed my plugs to iridiums at valve check time, plus replaced the air cleaner and coolant then too. I drained the coolant and completely removed the radiator and it made everything a lot easier.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, was going to do a lot of the service when I did this. The previous owner said the dealer checked the valves at 14,000, that was 3 years ago. So now at 20, was going to change the coolant and drop in new plugs so that I could ignore it for a few years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the coolant and plugs over the winter for the first time. Not difficult if you loosen the radiator although you will skin some knuckles on the plugs.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Its not that bad. Loosen the radiator lower bolts and pivot it out as far as you feel safe, then wedge something that will not hurt your rad in the open space to hold it.

Iridiums are definitely the way to go for several reasons..longevity being the main one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts